Wappen Von Hamburg, Corel, a sort of log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Ken

Hello ship modellers. I am going to do a very simple sort of retro log of the Wappen Von Hamburg that I built about 12 years ago, let me explain how my introduction to this hobby came about and how I ended up building this model.

I started the hobby about fifteen years ago after a hand issue which had developed. After several ops I lost part of each hand as well as fingers and because of the intrusive surgery I was left with limited movement and little sense of feeling. I was advised to take up a hobby that involved touching and manipulating different textures as a way of therapy, the physio even suggested knitting, as a woman she would, but an ex paratrooper does not do knitting so I tried my hand at building model boats, I haven’t looked back since.

I started building small kits and found that not only did they help but I thoroughly enjoyed making them and happily progressed to slightly larger but not overly difficult ones as my skills improved. I don’t think there were any forums then so I slowly learned from monthly magazines with articles from the likes of Keith Julier.

Now to the Wappen. I was browsing a local charity shop when I came across this kit, checking the box contents I saw that most of the fittings and castings appeared to be there as well as the plans which looked very good but no instructions and no hull or wooden parts. I think that the hull must have been built up and lost or abandoned; it looked to be a very old tatty kit. Talking to the staff they thought that it couldn’t be built and was only fit for spares, I explained my interest in models and said that I thought it was possible to rescue, so I was given it at a very low price. Because of the interest that our discussion had caused I was asked if I would occasionally give them updates on any build progress, this is how I came to have pictures of various stages of the build. This was never intended to be a build log and no notes were taken, at this stage it was never going to be an accurate, detailed model but just an insight into my progression through the hobby. I have only just found these pictures on an old memory stick and thought that members may be a little interested.

My first task was to determine what wood and parts were needed. I intended to re make the kit to as near as original, all strip wood for planking, keel and bulkheads cut to shape, everything tidied into bags so that when I opened the box it would have the appearance of a new kit ready to be started, this way it would encourage me more to proceed with the build. I bought in everything that I needed from Cornwall Modelboats and treated myself from Ebay to a scroll saw, the build began.

The first pictures show the strip wood, ply and mahogany sheet acquired and the parts of the kit that I re made. I’ll follow these up next with the actual build. Please be patient as I’m also doing a full log of my current build, HMS Blandford.

002b.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Ken,

I appreciate the effort to show your built of the WvH and to dig-up all your old photo's and convert it into a buildlog....
Thanks very much and I keep a keen eye on this log with much appreciation!

I laughed so loud about the paratrooper and knitting part of your story..... ROTF

regards,
Peter

Hello and welcome, Enzo, Pter, Kurt and Norway, thanks for taking the time to visit my log.

I will just add a little today to get the log moving. You will have noticed that I’d copied from the plans to the ply sheets the main hull parts ready to cut out with my scroll saw. The method that I used which I found to be very easy was to copy the plan, print it out using a laser printer, an inkjet won’t work. I put it face down on the ply and lightly damped the back with some thinners that contained xylene, then rubbed the edge of a credit card over it with light pressure, the image is then transferred. I find that the most intricate images come out clear and clean. Xylene is found in lots of stuff that you may find in your garage or hardware store.

The right angle fillets were my idea to strengthen and keep aligned the bulkheads with the keel.

095.jpg

094.jpg

096.jpg

097.jpg

Hello and welcome, Enzo, Pter, Kurt and Norway, thanks for taking the time to visit my log.

I will just add a little today to get the log moving. You will have noticed that I’d copied from the plans to the ply sheets the main hull parts ready to cut out with my scroll saw. The method that I used which I found to be very easy was to copy the plan, print it out using a laser printer, an inkjet won’t work. I put it face down on the ply and lightly damped the back with some thinners that contained xylene, then rubbed the edge of a credit card over it with light pressure, the image is then transferred. I find that the most intricate images come out clear and clean. Xylene is found in lots of stuff that you may find in your garage or hardware store.

The right angle fillets were my idea to strengthen and keep aligned the bulkheads with the keel.

View attachment 410203

View attachment 410202

View attachment 410204

View attachment 410205
THAT is a cool trick!!

Hi Kurt, I'm glad that you liked the idea, it has excellent possibilities. I've attached a couple of pictures showing how I marked up the complex hull of my Royal William build, the detail would have been very difficult to get positioned accurate any other way.

View attachment 410332

View attachment 410342
So very clever...

Hello ship modellers. I am going to do a very simple sort of retro log of the Wappen Von Hamburg that I built about 12 years ago, let me explain how my introduction to this hobby came about and how I ended up building this model.

I started the hobby about fifteen years ago after a hand issue which had developed. After several ops I lost part of each hand as well as fingers and because of the intrusive surgery I was left with limited movement and little sense of feeling. I was advised to take up a hobby that involved touching and manipulating different textures as a way of therapy, the physio even suggested knitting, as a woman she would, but an ex paratrooper does not do knitting so I tried my hand at building model boats, I haven’t looked back since.

I started building small kits and found that not only did they help but I thoroughly enjoyed making them and happily progressed to slightly larger but not overly difficult ones as my skills improved. I don’t think there were any forums then so I slowly learned from monthly magazines with articles from the likes of Keith Julier.

Now to the Wappen. I was browsing a local charity shop when I came across this kit, checking the box contents I saw that most of the fittings and castings appeared to be there as well as the plans which looked very good but no instructions and no hull or wooden parts. I think that the hull must have been built up and lost or abandoned; it looked to be a very old tatty kit. Talking to the staff they thought that it couldn’t be built and was only fit for spares, I explained my interest in models and said that I thought it was possible to rescue, so I was given it at a very low price. Because of the interest that our discussion had caused I was asked if I would occasionally give them updates on any build progress, this is how I came to have pictures of various stages of the build. This was never intended to be a build log and no notes were taken, at this stage it was never going to be an accurate, detailed model but just an insight into my progression through the hobby. I have only just found these pictures on an old memory stick and thought that members may be a little interested.

My first task was to determine what wood and parts were needed. I intended to re make the kit to as near as original, all strip wood for planking, keel and bulkheads cut to shape, everything tidied into bags so that when I opened the box it would have the appearance of a new kit ready to be started, this way it would encourage me more to proceed with the build. I bought in everything that I needed from Cornwall Modelboats and treated myself from Ebay to a scroll saw, the build began.

The first pictures show the strip wood, ply and mahogany sheet acquired and the parts of the kit that I re made. I’ll follow these up next with the actual build. Please be patient as I’m also doing a full log of my current build, HMS Blandford.

View attachment 409883

View attachment 409884

View attachment 409885

View attachment 409886
Do you miss jumping? I do.

While never a military paratrooper I did 19 jumps for the fun of it as sport jumper, then got married and stopped jumping.

After 40 years my wife said my son wanted to go do one jump for his bucket list and said I could go with him.

I told her no way, as you don't offer a recovering drunk one sip of a bottle and expect him to never drink again.

Thank you to all those who served in your countries military as a paratrooper.

While never a military paratrooper I did 19 jumps for the fun of it as sport jumper, then got married and stopped jumping.

After 40 years my wife said my son wanted to go do one jump for his bucket list and said I could go with him.

I told her no way, as you don't offer a recovering drunk one sip of a bottle and expect him to never drink again.

Thank you to all those who served in your countries military as a paratrooper.
I have a little over 3000 jumps. Did it almost all while I was in the Army. Had to stop when I got custody of my daughter from a divorce. Here's a jump I made at Ft Monmouth, New Jersey...img030.jpg

Last edited:
Back