VOC SPIEGELRETOURSCHIP BATAVIA 1628 - KOLDERSTOK 1:72

Check out the build log at the above link
Hi Ron. Thank you very much for this. All the pictures that I have posted so far of the Fluit comes from this build log. Also check out Hans Groenenberg's Zeven Provincien, his build of the Duyfken and his restoration of the Friesland - he is one of the master builders on the forum.

Hi Ron. Thank you very much for this. All the pictures that I have posted so far of the Fluit comes from this build log. Also check out Hans Groenenberg's Zeven Provincien, his build of the Duyfken and his restoration of the Friesland - he is one of the master builders on the forum.
Heinrich, I have been watching his build logs. Makes me want to find a different hobby. He is a master builder. OBTW I will be watching your build of the WB with great interest as I have ordered it also. Now if I can find time to work on my current build. The Admiral is making improvements every day so I’m looking to get back to the shipyard soon.

Ron

Heinrich, I have been watching his build logs. Makes me want to find a different hobby. He is a master builder. OBTW I will be watching your build of the WB with great interest as I have ordered it also. Now if I can find time to work on my current build. The Admiral is making improvements every day so I’m looking to get back to the shipyard soon.

Ron
That is wonderful news Ron. That makes it you, @Pathfinder65 (Jan) and I. You are most welcome Ron - if all goes well, I should be posting tonight or very soon in any case.

Heinrich,
I do not mean to hijack your thread however, there seems to be growing interest in "Willem Barentsz" and several of us are planning builds of his last ship.
As most probably know Willem Barentsz was a cartographer and navigator from 1550 to 1597. He was searching for the Northeast passage, a safer trading route to China and his last of three voyages was fatal. I'm certainly not a historic scholar however, I do have an interest in the vessels I build.
That brings me to this: From what I have been able to glean so far is that the name of his last ship was Witte Swaen (White swan) so my question is, should we not be calling it the White Swan?

Ron

@rtibbs Ron you never have to worry about hijacking my thread - it is there for all to comment and if you want to tell me what you did during the day and what you had for supper - no problem, you are most welcome.

I have actually started the build log of the WB already.

With regards to the name of the ship, you ask a great question and one that has been debated many times and at great length. I will answer you in detail in a few hours' time as I need to do some translating for that. :)

Hi Everyone.

Just in case you are wondering why I am not working on the Haarlem, please note that she has been dry-docked until I have completed my move. In the meantime I I invite you to join me as I have started work on the Willem Barentsz Expedition Ship. Please see the link below.

Hi Everyone.

Just in case you are wondering why I am not working on the Haarlem, please note that she has been dry-docked until I have completed my move. In the meantime I I invite you to join me as I have started work on the Willem Barentsz Expedition Ship. Please see the link below.

Why you boxed the Harlem and started a new built in the middle of your move. Wouldn't be much easier in the other way.

Cheers
Daniel

Hi Daniel. If I want to work on the Haarlem, the next job is masts. With that moving the ship is too difficult. However, I will only move at the end of December which means if I don't do something else, I waste a month's building time. The WB is much smaller than the Haarlem and my goal is to see if I can get the planking finished before the move.

Hi Daniel. If I want to work on the Haarlem, the next job is masts. With that moving the ship is too difficult. However, I will only move at the end of December which means if I don't do something else, I waste a month's building time. The WB is much smaller than the Haarlem and my goal is to see if I can get the planking finished before the move.

Ah, I thought you still had work to do on deck/hull, but not masts. I will be doing the same as you. And I am. As we plan to move on 1.5 years, my builts are planned thinking on the packaging of the ship's. Fortunately, I don't like rigging, so no masts for me. Nevertheless, there are a lot if things that can be broke depending what you built. The Marmara is a very fragile one. Will see how I box it.

Well, Thank you for answering Heinrich, and I am following your WB . Jumped late on it, already has LOTS of postings to read :)

Cheers
Daniel

@Dematosdg Only a pleasure my friend. Yes, any move does disrupt things and we have to plan accordingly. And in my case I will move at the end of December to a temporary permanent and in a month's time to the permanent one. Sigh ...

Hi Heinrich,

All I think of saying is "fair winds", pretty lame I know but there you are, I am not the best with words.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thank you Stephen - nothing wrong with those words. Tomorrow Im at work so enjoying a last bit of banter on SOS today!

As parting shot from the old shipyard, it would only be fair to to include a last two pictures of the Haarlem whose keel was laid down almost two years ago.

View attachment 289711

View attachment 289712
Hello Heinrich. Great picture of your Batavia. As beautiful as your WB is, I really do like this model. Good luck with your teaching ventures with all your new colleagues. Cheers Grant

Back