VASA 1:75 - BILLING BOATS

I am currently starting the Corel version of the WASA. Your kit's bow structures are quite different from mine. The WASA kit has two blocks that go where your vertical pieces are and I had to do a lot of work (sanding, filing, carving, etc.) to get them to conform to the curvature of the bow. I hope you do not have to do the same. Suggestions as to what to do with the five "steps" would be most welcome. I suppose sanding, filing will necessary.... How do these look on the Billing kit?

WASA  bow 1.JPG

WASA bow 3.JPG

WASA bow 4.JPG

Good Luck
I have been working with the same ship for at last two years now and have done quite a lot of mistakes but I think I will finish it someday, I am not working with it every day so I don’t know when but it is a lot of fun and also a lot of frustrations, this is how far I’ve come and I surely will follow your progress
image.jpg

A few on this forum disparage Billings Boats models and, truth be told, they are not at the apex of the model shipwright's list of potential choices. To me, however, they have always provided a fun build as well as a very good value for the money when all is considered. That some of their accessory parts are cast in resin or polystyrene (oh, the horror!) rather than brass or at least Britannia metal is a cause of great dismay to some. Not to me! I have always found said pieces-parts to be crisply cast and nicely detailed; more so, in fact, than a lot of the corresponding metal fiddly bits in decidedly more expensive kits. Their instructions can at times leave something to be desired but they are no worse in that respect than the directions in many an imported high-dollar offering (and, in fact, are better than those of quite a few such competitors). All in all, I think you made a fine choice of both specific subject and manufacturer. Go for it! I will be following you with interest.
PS: I built my first wooden ship kit half a century ago, back when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth. I like to think I've gained enough experience in both kit- and scratch-building since then to be able to speak knowingly. Now if only I could find my glasses...no, the READING glasses...no, not the blue frames, the black ones...Oh, wait, they're on my head. :rolleyes:

I just hope the front row of chairs isn't full yet, I want a good view on this build.

Yet another grand build of a grand ship to be coming to a screen near you.
Hi Kurt!

Welcome to the growing row of spectators! I hope you will enjoy it!

Nisse

Is the horizontal piece at the bow secured yet?
Do you mean the piece that is sticking awkwardly out to the starboard side? The i can assure you that it is not glued yet. I noticed it after I had posted the picture here when it was too late!

Nisse

Good Luck
I have been working with the same ship for at last two years now and have done quite a lot of mistakes but I think I will finish it someday, I am not working with it every day so I don’t know when but it is a lot of fun and also a lot of frustrations, this is how far I’ve come and I surely will follow your progress
View attachment 382254
Ynokri, that progress is just beautiful! I can see all the hard work you have put into it! Great job!

It will sure be interesting to see what mistaked I will make, but I will try my best to avoid them!

Nisse

I am currently starting the Corel version of the WASA. Your kit's bow structures are quite different from mine. The WASA kit has two blocks that go where your vertical pieces are and I had to do a lot of work (sanding, filing, carving, etc.) to get them to conform to the curvature of the bow. I hope you do not have to do the same. Suggestions as to what to do with the five "steps" would be most welcome. I suppose sanding, filing will necessary.... How do these look on the Billing kit?

View attachment 382229

View attachment 382231

View attachment 382232
Fortunately for the billings kit you do not need to sand as much as you need to as it seem. The curvature is provided by the vertical pieces.

And the stars on the billings kit is actually thin wooden planks instead of blocks.

My guess would be to sand a lot unfortunately.

Nisse

A few on this forum disparage Billings Boats models and, truth be told, they are not at the apex of the model shipwright's list of potential choices. To me, however, they have always provided a fun build as well as a very good value for the money when all is considered. That some of their accessory parts are cast in resin or polystyrene (oh, the horror!) rather than brass or at least Britannia metal is a cause of great dismay to some. Not to me! I have always found said pieces-parts to be crisply cast and nicely detailed; more so, in fact, than a lot of the corresponding metal fiddly bits in decidedly more expensive kits. Their instructions can at times leave something to be desired but they are no worse in that respect than the directions in many an imported high-dollar offering (and, in fact, are better than those of quite a few such competitors). All in all, I think you made a fine choice of both specific subject and manufacturer. Go for it! I will be following you with interest.
PS: I built my first wooden ship kit half a century ago, back when I was young and dinosaurs roamed the earth. I like to think I've gained enough experience in both kit- and scratch-building since then to be able to speak knowingly. Now if only I could find my glasses...no, the READING glasses...no, not the blue frames, the black ones...Oh, wait, they're on my head. :rolleyes:
What a great summary!

I agree with your opinions on the manual. A lot seems to be left out but it is really nothing that you can not figure out with some thinking! And indeed the plastic casts are detailed enough for me at least and are easy to handle!

Your experience and knowledge is greatly appreciated and do not hesitate to comment any ideas or improvements!

Nisse

Hello everyone!

This is a bit of an experiment to me. I have never made a build log before so hopefully this is going to be enjoyable for everyone. This is also going to be my first wood model kit that I will be building. I have done multiple plastic models before, but this is the first time that I will try to build a model in wood. Hopefully this will turn out good!

I have been following some of the other build logs of the Vasa (I do hope that it is not to worn out). The biggest reason for starting this log is because I know that I will need help and guidance, I will be the first to admit that.

I have also seen how these build logs creates a really inspiring community that wants to help out and support each other, and I want to be a part of that. So hopefully some of you will want to be part of this!
Hello everyone!

This is a bit of an experiment to me. I have never made a build log before so hopefully this is going to be enjoyable for everyone. This is also going to be my first wood model kit that I will be building. I have done multiple plastic models before, but this is the first time that I will try to build a model in wood. Hopefully this will turn out good!

I have been following some of the other build logs of the Vasa (I do hope that it is not to worn out). The biggest reason for starting this log is because I know that I will need help and guidance, I will be the first to admit that.

I have also seen how these build logs creates a really inspiring community that wants to help out and support each other, and I want to be a part of that. So hopefully some of you will want to be part of this!
Nothing ventured, nithung gained. Tgere is a wealth of knowledge to be gained fro rhe attempt.

So true (especially the glasses on the head bit!). Every manufacturer has positive and negative aspects and what makes the hobby interesting is working through shortcomings.

Good morning Nisse. You are certainly in luck. There are some fantastic Vasa logs here (Those mentioned by Daniel and Paul) which run like tutorials with much accuracy and discussion. I will pull up a chair and follow your progress. Good luck and my modeling moto have fun. Cheers Grant

Hi Nisse80. My name is PeterG and I was one of the reference Log authors (along with Daniel), who have recently posted and detailed our Billings Vasa builds. Welcome aboard.

I have been a bit quiet on the SOS forum recently due to family and work commitments but our Billing’s journey with the Vasa, along with Paul (Dockattner) and his exquisite D’Agostini model, should provide you with enough background and detail to build a fantastic model.

This said, should you require any advice or help, this forum is the ‘right’ place to be. There can be criticisms levelled at the Billings kits in terms of documentation, kit content and inclusions, but I would still maintain it is the most accurate Vasa model shape out there, even still, so your starting position is a good choice.

All three of us (Paul, Daniel and myself), have accumulated a vast list of resource material relating to the Vasa, and especially with the help of the Vasamuseet’’s Dr Fred Hocker whose advice and information has been forthcoming generously over our build time.

So, you will strike problems, but remember help is close at hand and it will guide you through. This ship and its build is one of the most rewarding things you will ever undertake in your life (and it will occupy a good proportion of your life). Good luck, and please ask for help when you need it - this forum is an amazing resource.

Regards,

PeterG

Do you mean the piece that is sticking awkwardly out to the starboard side? The i can assure you that it is not glued yet. I noticed it after I had posted the picture here when it was too late!

Nisse
I hate it when that happens!!

Fortunately for the billings kit you do not need to sand as much as you need to as it seem. The curvature is provided by the vertical pieces.

And the stars on the billings kit is actually thin wooden planks instead of blocks.

My guess would be to sand a lot unfortunately.

Nisse

I'm glad I have a good belt sander and a hand-held profile sander to make the rough and smooth (respectively) reductions and tapers. I may still have to put in some fillers along the lower sections so that the planking will maintain a proper curve.

Back