VASA 1:75 - BILLING BOATS

Hello everyone!

This is a bit of an experiment to me. I have never made a build log before so hopefully this is going to be enjoyable for everyone. This is also going to be my first wood model kit that I will be building. I have done multiple plastic models before, but this is the first time that I will try to build a model in wood. Hopefully this will turn out good!

I have been following some of the other build logs of the Vasa (I do hope that it is not to worn out). The biggest reason for starting this log is because I know that I will need help and guidance, I will be the first to admit that.

I have also seen how these build logs creates a really inspiring community that wants to help out and support each other, and I want to be a part of that. So hopefully some of you will want to be part of this!

So the first post should be about why I chose to build the Vasa?

Well, perhaps the biggest reason is how beautiful the ship is. All the colours and all of the sculptures shows the amazing craftmanship they had. They really tried to build a ship they could show off, and then it ended up being a disaster unfortunately. Later on they managed to bring her back to the surface and put her on display for everyone to see!

And that is really what sparked my interest in the Vasa. I visited the Vasa several years ago. When I stood there and was able to look at the ship I was speechless to be honest. Something happens when you are able to see the Vasa with your own eyes, it is really fascinating!

Before I settled with the Billing Boats version I was thinking about doing the DeAgostini version, but the price is really what made me buy the Billing Boats version. It was a $400 difference and since it is my first wood model I did not want to take water over my head. I do not know if it was the right choice yet, but I will do my best nonetheless. We will see how it goes!

All the best!

Now it is time to show how far I have come as of this moment!

IMG_0231.jpg

(I promise you all that I already now how big of a mess my table is but I will sort it out and get a good background so I can more clear pictures for you!)
I put together the keel first and the I placed all of the bulkheads, which was actually more difficult than I thought, but I think that it turned out quite okay.

I have to mention that I underestimated how important it is for the keel to be perfectly straight. The slightest turn and the entire ship looks like it has been bent.

As you can see I have also added the support beams for the wooden hatches in the middle of the deck.

IMG_0234.jpg

Here is a picture from the bow. The picture is taken from a weird angle so it looks like the ship is warped, but do not worry, that is not the case. It is a lot left on the bow like the two doors that need to be added as well as some planking between them.

IMG_0237.jpg

And here you have the things that surrounds the wooden hatches on the deck (if someone knows the correct terms please correct me). These will be darkened. I plan on using some vallejo paints that i will blend with water and I have found that it gives a very cool effect on the wood.

Still a long way to go but it is the progress that is fun!

Any thoughts on how I can improve the ship or make it more historically is always welcome! I promise you all that it is very welcome and I will not be offended at all. I want to make this a model that I can be proud of and any help is always appreciated!

All the best!

Nisse

Hello Nisse,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on choosing this magnificent ship for your first foray into wooden model ship building. Since I'm early to the viewing party I'll pull up a chair and join Jim and Tobias in the front row.

And just to be certain you have seen them, I'll direct you to two wonderful Billing Vasa builds:

I'm looking forward to cheering you on!

The things surrounding the hatches are, I believe, called coamings. Many work benches appearing on this site are pretty cluttered. It adds interest and often shows a useful tool or substance to add to one's wish list.
Wow thank you! That is really interesting and useful! I really appreciate that John!

Nisse

Hello Nisse,

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on choosing this magnificent ship for your first foray into wooden model ship building. Since I'm early to the viewing party I'll pull up a chair and join Jim and Tobias in the front row.

And just to be certain you have seen them, I'll direct you to two wonderful Billing Vasa builds:

I'm looking forward to cheering you on!
I will be sure to check those out, thanks for the recommendations Paul! And your Vasa, I really do not know what to say, it is in my eyes perfection all the way through. You are a really big inspiration for me Paul so having you cheering me on is most inspiring!

Nisse

I will be sure to check those out, thanks for the recommendations Paul! And your Vasa, I really do not know what to say, it is in my eyes perfection all the way through. You are a really big inspiration for me Paul so having you cheering me on is most inspiring!

Nisse
I have lots of resources that you may find helpful - just depends on how much you intend on modifying the kit offerings, if any. Anyway, I would be delighted to assist in any way if that would be welcome and helpful. Just ask!

And I am also confident that Daniel and Peter (the build reports I cited) would be more than happy to help (@Daniel20, in particular, is very active on the forum).

I have lots of resources that you may find helpful - just depends on how much you intend on modifying the kit offerings, if any. Anyway, I would be delighted to assist in any way if that would be welcome and helpful. Just ask!

And I am also confident that Daniel and Peter (the build reports I cited) would be more than happy to help (@Daniel20, in particular, is very active on the forum).
Yes indeed and I have probably only seen the tip of the iceberg of all the resources that exist!

At the moment I do not know how much I will modify. But I think as I progress I will become more confident and maybe dare to try some modifying.

Your help will be most invaluable to me, and again, I really appreciate it Paul!

Nisse

Hello Nisse, I have just discovered your Vasa build here in the early stages and would be honored to pull up a chair and watch. As Paul @dockattner said we are always ready and willing to help a fellow modeler and by the way you should check out his finished Vasa which is an encyclopedia of information on this vessel not to mention one of the premier builds IMHO.

Last edited:
I'm pulling up a chair as well, first builds are a journey! One suggestion - secure that keel, the tall narrow stance of this ship can get out of alignment pretty quick just from handling it.
Hi and welcome Bill!

It sure will be exciting and challenging!

Great suggestion! Last night I actually screwed down a couple of 90 degrees angles and fastened the keel to them so now it is set straight. One question tough, I detected a small tilt on the bow section, and when I bend it to make it straight it does not disrupt the rest of the allignment (that is fortunate). So my question is how can I make this permanent without it bending to the side again?

Nisse

Hi and welcome Bill!

It sure will be exciting and challenging!

Great suggestion! Last night I actually screwed down a couple of 90 degrees angles and fastened the keel to them so now it is set straight. One question tough, I detected a small tilt on the bow section, and when I bend it to make it straight it does not disrupt the rest of the allignment (that is fortunate). So my question is how can I make this permanent without it bending to the side again?

Nisse
Place two upright supports on either side of the forward keel (bow) making sure they're true to plumb and inline with rest of the keel. Do the same at the stern. You can check for straightness with a plumb line front to back or a good metal straight edge.

Hello Nisse, I have just discovered your Vasa build here in the early stages and would be honored to pull up a chair and watch. As Paul @dockattner said we are always ready and willing to help a fellow modeler and by the way you should check out his finished Vasa which is an encyclopedia of information on this vessel not to mention one of the premier builds IMHO.

Hello Daniel and welcome!

I really appreciate the willingness to help me, I really think that I will need it! It means the world to me!

And your Vasa is really a piece of art, really impressive and most inspiring!

Nisse

Place two upright supports on either side of the forward keel (bow) making sure they're true to plumb and inline with rest of the keel. Do the same at the stern. You can check for straightness with a plumb line front to back or a good metal straight edge.
Great idea! I will work on that as soon as I can!

Nisse

Now it is time to show how far I have come as of this moment!

View attachment 381349

(I promise you all that I already now how big of a mess my table is but I will sort it out and get a good background so I can more clear pictures for you!)
I put together the keel first and the I placed all of the bulkheads, which was actually more difficult than I thought, but I think that it turned out quite okay.

I have to mention that I underestimated how important it is for the keel to be perfectly straight. The slightest turn and the entire ship looks like it has been bent.

As you can see I have also added the support beams for the wooden hatches in the middle of the deck.

View attachment 381351

Here is a picture from the bow. The picture is taken from a weird angle so it looks like the ship is warped, but do not worry, that is not the case. It is a lot left on the bow like the two doors that need to be added as well as some planking between them.

View attachment 381355

And here you have the things that surrounds the wooden hatches on the deck (if someone knows the correct terms please correct me). These will be darkened. I plan on using some vallejo paints that i will blend with water and I have found that it gives a very cool effect on the wood.

Still a long way to go but it is the progress that is fun!

Any thoughts on how I can improve the ship or make it more historically is always welcome! I promise you all that it is very welcome and I will not be offended at all. I want to make this a model that I can be proud of and any help is always appreciated!

All the best!

Nisse
Is the horizontal piece at the bow secured yet?

Back