Vanda-Lay router table and drill press stand

Thanks, Daniel. Let me explain what exactly I mean when I said ProxxonMF70 is not recommended for drilling. In principle, drilling means controlling the speed and feed. While controlling the speed is OK (it is electronic), maintaining the feed when the Z axis resulted in too much backlash and is hard to move is impractical. Also, it is difficult to feel the drilling process because the feed is mechanical, if you understand what I mean.

This is also a combination of a mill and drill press, and here you can control the feed you would normally do in a drill press.

View attachment 321206
The sort of machine Jim has pictured is what I would call a mill drill.
To my mind the mill drill is a far better proposition than the Proxxon.
I know I will probably get some hate mail for saying this but in my opinion the Proxxon tools are only just reasonable, they are hobby quality and although the machine pictured may not be a high quality machine it is more likely to do what you are looking for decades into the future and I would say worth saving up for as long as you have the space.

Cheers,
Stephen.

The smallest drill mill found in Canada is on busybee web site and cost 1000 $can plus shipping and taxes. It is the following model.

MILLING MACHINE MINI CRAFTEX CSA CX605​

I saw a video of it and found a curious spindle mouvement at low speed. At that cost I have the Proxxon drill and miling machines with accessories. SOo I have time to decide and do some others researches.

Hi Michel,
The first question to my mind is what are your intentions into the future, are you likely to be still model making in 10 years time?

Personally I would be concerned about putting the Dremel under too much strain/load and shortening it's life expectancy with the Router table.

The drill press looks like it would do the job but may have a fair bit of play/slop that may make drilling a bit of a hassle and it needs a Dremel to be there permanently otherwise you will need to move it from jig to jig, but it is probably not a bad start if you are on a tight budget.

Cheers,
Stephen.
My first Dremel burned out after a few weeks & was replaced by Bosch. I bought a Dremel Workstation, which was a horrible plastic 'thing' which was not rigid enough to hold the tool for accurate drilling. I quickly sold it & bought a Proxxon bench drill (never regretted it) with their cross-slide table & vic(s)e. Later I added the MF70 & router table , very useful for making cleats. I sold my Dremel & replaced it with a Proxxon long - nose motor tool & flexy drive. I just wish they made a mini drum sander thicknesser.

Below is my PROXXON press drill used for thickness sanding. But the MF70 worked MUCH better as you accurately can manage the thickness. I will look for my pictures

I used my MF70 for bigger pieces of wood when I was building small deck pieces.

Last edited:
As you can see, the MF70 can cover many jobs. It is design for milling. But I use it also for precise drilling (drill press) and also as a thickness sander for small pieces of wood, if needed.

I found the investment on my MF70 tool a good one.

PROXXON MICRO Mill MF 70, 37110 https://a.co/d/fCmXpt0

Then look for @Jimsky postings concerning different improvements and uses to the MF70. They are all excellent ideas and improvements to the tool. The lathe use idea came from one of his postings.

Cheers
Daniel

You can also use it for sanding curves if you use a Dremel sanding drum. Plenty of small uses for the MF70.

Below is my PROXXON press drill used for thickness sanding. But the MF70 worked MUCH better as you accurately can manage the thickness. I will look for my pictures

I used my MF70 for bigger pieces of wood when I was building small deck pieces.
Absolutly brillant. Thanks you so much. Now I know what to purchased you convinced me. I had never thought a lathe use like your done before. So much precusion for small piece and less wood loss than the regular lathe. Waiting for the money now.

Last edited:
This looks very similar to what I bought.
I done virtually everything I could as an update + eliminate back lash.
Then I milled cast iron and steel.
For wood ok if you have the cutters and update for wood. Speed must be the highest for most woods.
In the end I sold the machine at a loss.

For boat building I use a vertical pillar drill - works exceptionally good. Make jigs and your up and running.

Seen the proxxon at shows + home user.
I was not impressed - nor the cnc update.
In my humble opinion it is a toy.

Good lathe like Myford used to be ML10 or similar. All been discussed + books written.

May I suggest building your own cutters - simple, easy and cheap. They last.
Jarrow wood will be another matter but why use that for model boat building?

Any users of these ones on SoS ? The drill press worth the price compare to Proxxon ?

Thanks

Michel
1. The Proxxon XY table works just fine for ship modeling. I have 3 of them. I also have a Harbor Freight 8 inch drill press and a Sherline mill. I also have several 10 dollar hand drills from HF used for planking They are small, light and mostly accurate and you can drill a lot of holes for fasteners in a short amount of time. Three Foredoms which I never use (maybe once a decade). Two Dremels which I use a few times per year. I use the mill and 8" about 50/50.
2. Each of these tools is used for specific jobs. You drill with a drill press and/or the mill. You do not mill with the drill press. You drill using a chuck. You mill using a collet.
3. Using the small plastic drill holders is too imprecise. You also break a lot of drills because they "wobble". I do not spend money on " do everything tools". Buy precision tools that do at least a couple of jobs really well. Drilling and milling are jobs I do every day. I now get hundreds (thousands) of holes per drill. I would sometimes get one hole per drill (they break) with the plastic holders.
4. Tools can last forever. You also only get what you pay for. There are NO miracle "do everything" tools regardless of what their hype is. I have been accumulating mine for about 50 years. I have never replaced any for newer models.
5. You can't build first class models with "crap" tools. You can build "crap" models with the worlds best tools. It is all a trade-off.
I have just assumed that the less crap in the tool, the less crap in the model.
6. Also remember "there ain't no free lunch" regardless of what the politicians say to the contrary. Good luck!

Back