Vanda-Lay router table and drill press stand

Dremel has made a lot of drill press adapters over the years, and there are many others that hold an old 1/4" drill that work just fine. Just check eBay for "drill press stand"-

What do you need the router table for?

Last edited:
Sure :
Router table
Drill press

Thanks, I budget my next year purchase, it is why I ask so much question on SoS. My budget is consequent for next year, so I want to optimise my purchase to not overkill my tool and have as much as possible.

Michel
looks nice and accurate. I use the Dremel too but these toys are not available at our country. They look useful.

Sure :
Router table
Drill press

Thanks, I budget my next year purchase, it is why I ask so much question on SoS. My budget is consequent for next year, so I want to optimise my purchase to not overkill my tool and have as much as possible.

Michel
Hi Michel,
The first question to my mind is what are your intentions into the future, are you likely to be still model making in 10 years time?

Personally I would be concerned about putting the Dremel under too much strain/load and shortening it's life expectancy with the Router table.

The drill press looks like it would do the job but may have a fair bit of play/slop that may make drilling a bit of a hassle and it needs a Dremel to be there permanently otherwise you will need to move it from jig to jig, but it is probably not a bad start if you are on a tight budget.

Cheers,
Stephen.

Personally I would be concerned about putting the Dremel under too much strain/load and shortening it's life expectancy with the Router table.
Dremel sells this part too, but plastic, like the drill stand. Not accurate. The dremel is strong and can handle these powers, like the proxxon. which sells a router table too

Hi Michel,
The first question to my mind is what are your intentions into the future, are you likely to be still model making in 10 years time?

The drill press looks like it would do the job but may have a fair bit of play/slop that may make drilling a bit of a hassle and it needs a Dremel to be there permanently otherwise you will need to move it from jig to jig, but it is probably not a bad start if you are on a tight budget.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thanks, yes I Will be in rhis hobby for a long time. I fall in love with it. So I made the deduction from your comment that I should put the money for non Dremel option.

Last edited:
Here are my few cents. All rotary tools (not to mention the names) and their drill stands are certainly a solution for a given situation. The most constraint is the budget, then, I'd like to mention limited space. You can have a rotary tool and then convert it to a drill press. This convenience, however, doesn't give the precision of drilling, and smaller drill bits are prone to break. I am sure many of us have our own experience with such a setup and for the most part, it works! However, if you are considering the hobby to last long, you might start investing in tooling. The drill press should be used to drill holes and not milling. But some milling machines are designed to have both functionalities. The challenge is to identify what tools are needed today, and what tools I can buy later. Sooner or later, you will come to the point that the tools you are using now, are not up to your requirements anymore. A given job could be made with less effort and more precisions if you would have such a tool. But before investing in any tool, ask yourself "Do I really need one? How often I will use one?" It may help to save you some budget for the next timber purchase. ;)

Here are my few cents. All rotary tools (not to mention the names) and their drill stands are certainly a solution for a given situation. The most constraint is the budget, then, I'd like to mention limited space. You can have a rotary tool and then convert it to a drill press. This convenience, however, doesn't give the precision of drilling, and smaller drill bits are prone to break. I am sure many of us have our own experience with such a setup and for the most part, it works! However, if you are considering the hobby to last long, you might start investing in tooling. The drill press should be used to drill holes and not milling. But some milling machines are designed to have both functionalities. The challenge is to identify what tools are needed today, and what tools I can buy later. Sooner or later, you will come to the point that the tools you are using now, are not up to your requirements anymore. A given job could be made with less effort and more precisions if you would have such a tool. But before investing in any tool, ask yourself "Do I really need one? How often I will use one?" It may help to save you some budget for the next timber purchase. ;)

I do apply all what Jimsky wrote and I will add an extra step. If I have the budget "today" I will go and buy it, also if I do not have an immediate use for it.

From past experiences I learned to have a saved budget for life unexpect situations (bad ones or good ones). But besides those savings, I learned that if I have $100 to expend today on a tool, I better do it, or tomorrow those $100 can be gone in a blink of an eye..... buy just going to the Mexican restaurant. :) HAHAHA

Cheers
Daniel
Ps: being said that, the most useful of those 2 tools could and will be the routing table. The press drill, it would be better to save $200-300 more and get the MF70... Milling and press drilling and also thickness sander (for small pieces of wood as I posted here at SOS)

Last edited:
I do apply all what Jimsky wrote and I will add an extra step. If I have the budget "today" I will go and buy it, also if I do not have an immediate use for it.

From past experiences I learned to have a saved budget for life unexpect situations (bad ones or good ones). But besides those savings, I learned that if I have $100 to expend today on a tool, I better do it, or tomorrow those $100 can be gone in a blink of an eye..... buy just going to the Mexican restaurant. :) HAHAHA

Cheers
Daniel
Ps: being said that, the most useful of those 2 tools could and will be the routing table. The press drill, it would be better to save $200-300 more and get the MF70... Milling and press drilling and also thickness sander (for small pieces of wood as I posted here at SOS)
Aggree, I realize that the Proxxon Milling will replace the drill press and also do some milling jobs.
For the routing table, is the solution will be to choose for a regular one? Is it really useful for hobby, or just to make ship stand at this size?

And for the Admiral permission to take the budget for the tool, I have a monthly budget in fact for a total predeterminated at the end of the year. So, it will take a catastrophic situation to loose it.

Aggree, I realize that the Proxxon Milling will replace the drill press and also do some milling jobs
Personally, I wouldn't recommend using Proxxon mill MF70 as the drill press. I mean you can certainly do it out of the box (no one can stop you), but the 'Z' axes crank is the worst I have ever seen, I would say it is the biggest drawback for this mill. You will need to invest in a thrust bearing (not really expensive) and modify it. Then the feed will be much easy and smooth. BTW, Proxxon mill can accept only endmills with 3.175 mm diameter shanks. But it is a great tool, I love it!

I saw the mods on SoS for the MF70, so I am aware of that Thanks. I have a Genmitsu CNC, so for the bits, it is not a problem for me.

I cannot afford the Sherline tools, it is off budget. Proxxon is then for the moment the only solution for me... And I think about their press too. Comment here do not let me taking a clear decision on that. I want the Ultimation sander and cutter too... Budget expense rising fast only with these few tools.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using Proxxon mill MF70 as the drill press. I mean you can certainly do it out of the box (no one can stop you), but the 'Z' axes crank is the worst I have ever seen, I would say it is the biggest drawback for this mill. You will need to invest in a thrust bearing (not really expensive) and modify it. Then the feed will be much easy and smooth. BTW, Proxxon mill can accept only endmills with 3.175 mm diameter shanks. But it is a great tool, I love it!

I slightly disagree with part of your comment. I have both, the MF70 and the Drill Press from Proxxon. YES, you are correct 100% that the Z isn't the best. But neither it is the one of the Sherline milling, that I do have too. And YES, based on a previous posting you did for less than $10 I added the bearings to the MF70. Thank you Jimsky !!! . Nevertheless, until you posted the bearing upgrade, I used the mill as a drill press hundred of times.

In my very standard modeling work, I ended using all the time the MF70 as a drill press and not the real Proxxon drill press. I found it more precise and prone to less error than the real press drill "on my hands".

You are also correct about the drill diameter. Nevertheless, on the last 2 years, building mainly from kits, and doing some modifications to them, I really haven't the need to use bigger drills than the ones used by the MF70.... but that is my humble experience with both tools.

Cheers !
Daniel

For the routing table, is the solution will be to choose for a regular one? Is it really useful for hobby, or just to make ship stand at this size?

I have the Dremel routing table with an old Dremel attached to it. I though on using it mainly to sand small curves (as seen on the site picturez of these tools). I ended using it 2-3 times. Why ? Because I got the Wen Spindle Sander for $100 more and it covered all my needs..... but again, that is just my personal experience.

Cheers
Daniel

I slightly disagree with part of your comment. I have both, the MF70 and the Drill Press from Proxxon. YES, you are correct 100% that the Z isn't the best. But neither it is the one of the Sherline milling, that I do have too.
Thanks, Daniel. Let me explain what exactly I mean when I said ProxxonMF70 is not recommended for drilling. In principle, drilling means controlling the speed and feed. While controlling the speed is OK (it is electronic), maintaining the feed when the Z axis resulted in too much backlash and is hard to move is impractical. Also, it is difficult to feel the drilling process because the feed is mechanical, if you understand what I mean.

This is also a combination of a mill and drill press, and here you can control the feed you would normally do in a drill press.

1659316539762.png

Back