USS Indianapolis CA-35 1/350 scale by Academy (Will @ Trilogy)

It has been 68 years since I built a plastic model. Yes 68 years. So after modeling in wood I decided to give plastic another try. I wanted to build a lessor know ship being there are so many fantastic builds of famous ships and went on a web search of kits. I came across Trumpeter and Academy with their Indianapolis kits and started researching the ship and the models. The fate of the Indianapolis brought me to the decision to build her. Looking at the builds on the web showed me what could be done. Research, research, and more research revealed a surprising amount about the Indianapolis.
In the Navel History and Heritage Command I found pictures from 1945 during her last refit at Mare Island Navel Shipyard.
19-N-86911.png19-N-86915.png19-N-86918.png

and a picture of the 1934 navel review New York Harbor. The Indianapolis was President Roosvelts transport ship 1933 thru 1936.
NH 688.jpeg
So I going to build the kit with two different detailing kits Pontos and Eduard. I'll probably use some of each kit to bring the Indianapolis up to details the resemble the pictures.
And now the obligatory kit photos
tempImageVr0S6Z.pngtempImageORJ21l.pngtempImagef7Qu0Q.pngtempImage4YRt9m.pngtempImage1ce8Lb.pngtempImage0t40tz.pngtempImagenhfUMa.png

I promise I won't have as many photos when I start the Indianapolis. This will be slow going as I plan to work on her as I finish another model

Best Regard
Will

tempImageGNMS7L.png

tempImageKPwcJg.png

tempImagec3PcCa.png

tempImagerTT7aS.png

Thank you for your comments and hope you'll follow along. Must be said this will be a slow build as I'll be doing it as I finish another model. I'm still waiting for the detail kits from Pontos and Eduard. I found a YouTube reviews of Sprue Models of the Trumpeter kit with Pontos and building the academy 1/350 scale USS Indianapolis with the Eduard detail kit describing work flow. When the kits arrive I be sure to post their review before I start the build.

Best Regards
Will

Good Morning to All and thanks for the likes, comments and looks.

Yesterday the Eduard upfit kit arrived.
Kit on Indy box
tempImageW8HcoT.png
Both sheets of PE
tempImagetY6bPq.png

Closeup of airplane crane
tempImageaxE7i9.png

Plans for aircraft crane
tempImageqeS5h6.png

I spent hours reviewing the PE kit verses the Academy kit and was left with WOW oh what will I do. During this extensive review I discovered that the Academy kit has the wrong sprue. The sprue containing the airplane is for the 1944 version not the 1945 version. I had a biplane instead of the the mono wing plane that was added during the 1944 refit at Mare Island. The box artwork is correct the instructions are correct but the sprue is for the earlier kit. I'll have to compare the kit to the Mare Island photographs to look for discrepancies. The photographs have circles drawn about the area changed during the refit. After the review I'll post my findings.
Sent a email to Academy requesting the correct parts. Now we'll wait and see if they respond.

Best Regards
Will

It has been 68 years since I built a plastic model. Yes 68 years. So after modeling in wood I decided to give plastic another try. I wanted to build a lessor know ship being there are so many fantastic builds of famous ships and went on a web search of kits. I came across Trumpeter and Academy with their Indianapolis kits and started researching the ship and the models. The fate of the Indianapolis brought me to the decision to build her. Looking at the builds on the web showed me what could be done. Research, research, and more research revealed a surprising amount about the Indianapolis.
In the Navel History and Heritage Command I found pictures from 1945 during her last refit at Mare Island Navel Shipyard.
View attachment 311331View attachment 311384View attachment 311382

and a picture of the 1934 navel review New York Harbor. The Indianapolis was President Roosvelts transport ship 1933 thru 1936.
View attachment 311386
So I going to build the kit with two different detailing kits Pontos and Eduard. I'll probably use some of each kit to bring the Indianapolis up to details the resemble the pictures.
View attachment 311302View attachment 311304View attachment 311305View attachment 311306View attachment 311307View attachment 311311View attachment 311312

I promise I won't have as many photos when I start the Indianapolis. This will be slow going as I plan to work on her as I finish another model

Best Regard
Will

View attachment 311303

View attachment 311308

View attachment 311309

View attachment 311310
Will@trilogy, very impressive story of your research. I too recently restarted building plastic modelast after a long hiatus from the hobby. I lean towards building ships, mostly from WW2, although I’ve at times strayed a bit and built models that I have either a personal connection to or models from an episode in WW2 that I consider an homage to the people who were involved. I just finished the HMCS Snowberry, 1:72 version, previously HMS Warspite with a Pontos wooden deck. Each one took months to build and a great joy of those projects was appreciating the journey.

Enough about me… this group, I’ve discovered, is a great place to get support and information. The fact that one of the members from across the pond offered to send you a Kingfisher to help you is just awesome! I’ll be eager to follow along with you during your journey…I’ve got the time and patience to wait.

Thank you for your kind message, it really helps the waiting. And as you said sending a part across the pond only shows this site makes the pond a none existent entity.
Thank You

Agree with all you gentlemen (Shipmates) about this site. A good one to be part of. Well Will, I have the comfy chair and a few flasks of good coffee. Will pop in from time to time to watch the build. Think I will be able to learn a lot. Thanks mate for sharing.

View attachment 311331View attachment 311384View attachment 311382

View attachment 311386
View attachment 311302View attachment 311304View attachment 311305View attachment 311306View attachment 311307View attachment 311311View attachment 311312

Best Regard
Will

View attachment 311303

View attachment 311308

View attachment 311309

View attachment 311310

I guess 68 years ago there was not much plastic around. I recently saw a pic of a ww2 fighter pilot eating ice cream from a metal bucket. Οbviously there was an abundance of raw materials those decades comparing to today.
It is a very interesting built of a famous ship but less famous as a model

Thank you Shane I got the Kingfisher in yesterdays mail. I'm just now finishing the standing rigging on my Syren and will start the Indianapolis, so the Kingfisher was timed perfectly.
Again many thanks.

Back