Ulises - Occre by Bill C

I have fitted the ship's boats supports. I decided to mount them further towards the stern than shown on the Occre instructions and also to spring the support legs off the superstructure. Quote pleased with the results. The funnel, which looked too tall, now looks to be exactly right. Good thing I didn't butcher it as I was tempted to do. Cornish flag looks great.

By the way, the figure in the foreground "Debbie" is 1:20 scale, Ulises is 1:30 scale, for the crab boat given me by the lady of that name. Painting her will be another experience!

20230810_120332.jpg

20230810_120412.jpg

Hello Bill
A really nice ship that you have conjured up there. Everything fits.....I congratulate you.

I have fitted the ship's boats supports. I decided to mount them further towards the stern than shown on the Occre instructions and also to spring the support legs off the superstructure. Quote pleased with the results. The funnel, which looked too tall, now looks to be exactly right. Good thing I didn't butcher it as I was tempted to do. Cornish flag looks great.

By the way, the figure in the foreground "Debbie" is 1:20 scale, Ulises is 1:30 scale, for the crab boat given me by the lady of that name. Painting her will be another experience!

View attachment 388988

View attachment 388989
My daughter suggested that the spot light requires a little weathering. I think she is correct.

Moin Bill
Maybe they let the boats slide into the water via a kind of slide.

This model appears several times searching the kit via google, but using the link it is showing videos from the manfacturer.
But it gives a good idea, how the modeler solved the derik on his model

Screenshot 2023-08-15 162532.png
Screenshot 2023-08-15 162452.png

Barrels of lubricant, crates of beer.... the crew of Ulises have loading sorted! Ship's crane from www.modelrealm.co.uk. Now awaiting davits for the skiffs, those oil barrels and a clock and a barometer for the wheelhouse from those guys.

I also decided that there should be stops for the tow rope on the rear girder.

20230823_154426.jpg

So what do you think? I cut the davits from strip wood left over from building the hull and a model railroad project. Took me three attempts to get them how I felt they should look. Still to finish the paint job on the davits, plan to add blue highlights to match the other blue, and add pullies, rigging and stretcher bars. Don't we have fun! Oh, and at this stage they are held in position with blue tac. It's wine o'clock!!!

20230825_193057.jpg

Last edited:
While Ulises is definitely nowhere near complete and I have that beautiful crab boat waiting for restoration I thought I would take another look at "Brightlight". This is back to where I started with a 1:48 scale drawing of a Puffer. I cut the frames from a sheet of ply using a jig saw and fitted them to the "keel". I then tried to form the hull using ply. This didn't work! So, now, having built the hull of Ulises from strip wood I felt things were possible. Here is a "proof of concept" trial with strip wood bent, pinned and glued to form a false keel on the bow. More on this adventure as things develop. The second picture is of Vital Spark, a Clyde Puffer, at Inveraray. The third is a general view of "Brightlight" stripped back to the frames. Frame spacing is a lot closer than for Ulises.

20230827_171408.jpg

20220518_131711.jpg

20230826_091348.jpg

Last edited:
I felt there was some missing, so I sourced and installed a fire monitor to go on the fore deck of Tug 66. The monitor also needed an operator's platform which I made out of styrene sections.

I have drilled and grooved the mast to take the steaming lights and the dolls house wire to power them. So now apart from finishing the mast, it's time to fit the motor, rudder servo and radio controls. I must admit being a bit scared about this, but I am sure that I can do it.

20230909_155338.jpg

20230909_155351.jpg

20230909_155430.jpg

Back