Ulises - Occre by Bill C

Thanks

Thank you Bill. A kind friend has just offered me a model ofva crab boat. She says it has sat in her loft for too long, it needs some TLC and would I care for it? The answer was an immediate YES please. And I have even found a 1:20 scale Debbie https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353362259154?hash=item5246082cd2:g:NxoAAOSwbSlgCk1C. Is this cheating,

View attachment 386233
Not cheating at all! This is called "preservation". A very honorable task to take on my friend.

When at speed, for example following request by Captain Schettino of Costa Concordia for assistance, I expect the tug to ship green water over the bow.

Now we have two boats. Ulises is 1:30 scale. Debbie's is 1:20. And I have a Debbie lined up to join the crew.https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353362259154?hash=item5246082cd2:g:NxoAAOSwbSlgCk1C. Alfie Cat takes no notice of all this excitement!

20230725_151231.jpg

To make the Occre supplied cardboard tube look less like a "spent toilet roll" I have added some rivet decals left over from a model railroad project. The boiler on this On30 locomotive was a scrap HO tank car and the oil tender sides built up from wood.

Tomorrow the stack will receive one, possibly more, additional coat of blue paint and then it's on with the white stripe and l have panelled the rear of the wheelhouse.

Cab Forward #501.1.jpg

20230726_194417.jpg

20230726_194138.jpg

Last edited:
Those modelrailroading skills do come in handy ;) Really creative work - Looking great Bill!!
Those modelrailroading skills do come in handy ;) Really creative work - Looking great Bill!!
Thank you Bill. And, just like a model railroad, the acid test is movement. So we wait to see how Ulises behaves when she hits the water.

Yesterday was a model railroad afternoon and here the #490 brings a cut of stock cars through Walkabout Gap. I would love to run longer trains, but that would require us to purchase our neighbour's garden. We could also have a boating lake, now there is a thought!

20230726_190848.jpg

Bill, That really turned out well! Like the rivet detail as well!
Again. Thank you.

Seems we need a larger garden pond! This is actually Version Two. We started out with a plastic box as a reservoir. The slabs come from a source which cannot be revealed. Expansion of the pond, with new pump, was my first COVID 19 lock down jobs in 2020. The orange stripe was a left over decal from building a model of an N Gauge locomotive. How many decades ago was that? The number 66 - clicker click, the road number (A66) from us the the English Lake District, Bosanova xx or the age of the dude building the boat?

20230728_133947.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I spent time working on the wheelhouse. The roof isn't fixed into position as I need to drill, fix and wire up the spot light and the navigation lights. The roof will have a trim around the edge. A bit more panelling required too. Getting there!

20230729_162737.jpg

20230729_163747.jpg

Our Ulises is Tug #66. Why Ulises is tug #66? https://www.beer66.es/.

I am now busy building the first of the two ship's boats. What a good thing I checked the instructions. Lime wood 1 x 3mm not 2 x 7mm!!

Next task is to figure out the wiring for the navigation lights, steaming, spot and deck lights. The stern light will be a dummy. Then it's the Big One; fitting the propulsion systems and the rudder

20230731_173724.jpg

Last edited:
Good morning Bill. Lovely work. Cheers Grant
Good morning to you Sir. Forty years ago I gained my South African Mine Manager's Certificate of Competency whilst working at the Black Mountain Mine at Aggeneys. We had dirt bikes and enjoyed riding the extensive network of gravel roads in Namaquland. In 2017 we had our honeymoon in the Western Cape. The desert flowers were magnificent.

Back