Turnbuckle milling

Is it possible to machine cast metal with a Dremel-type drill? I wish I could see through the center piece of a turnbuckle. My Belem have 45 pieces of them and they are 22 mm in total length.

Turnbucles.jpg

Looking at your pic, all the slot needs is a light dress with a small jewellers file.
Thanks NMBrook, I tried with the smallest files I have. They are not thiny enough and measure 1,45 mm in thickness. Do you have a recommandation for thinner files ? Nearest 1 mm in thickness ?

Thanks Stephan for your appreciation. It is a little bit hasardous to file without broking the small side wall of the central part.

Your best bet is searching Ebay local to you in Canada.If I were struggling, given how many turnbuckles you have,I would grind a file down to suit.A bit time consuming, but keep quenching in water to stop it loosing it's hardness.You will be left with a cutting face on one side only but it will do the job.

I would try Jeweller/watchmaker suppliers first.Postage for anything this side of the pond is likely to be more than the file/s

Unfortunatly, there is no hobby store with sufficient stuff in the inventory to found these very small files required, regular mini files are in stock. So, I wiill have to grind one or serching on the web, but where and with what keywords.

Unfortunatly, there is no hobby store with sufficient stuff in the inventory to found these very small files required, regular mini files are in stock. So, I wiill have to grind one or serching on the web, but where and with what keywords.
Needle files and/or Amazon

Unfortunatly, i stop the production of these. 1 on 3 are srcap and I have just enough good one to end the job. On amazon, they have only regular mini files. I found may be one file t 1,4mm thickness at Vallorbe, but at a price that is too much for me.

I succeed to grind a mini file to the thickness desired, but the milling process need to be more accurate since the wall of the central barrel is too fragile.

Sí, lo es, usaría una fresa tipo bola de 1 mm. No use una fresa de diamante, el metal blanco simplemente se pegará y usará una velocidad baja.

Saludos cordiales

nigel
Efectivamente, no depende de la Dremel, sino de la herramienta que vaya a utilizar.

Efectivamente, no depende de la Dremel, sino de la herramienta que vaya a utilizar.

La principal dificultad radica en mantener el eje de mecanizado en el centro del cañón (??? translation to canon ???), de lo contrario uno de los lados de éste se debilita y se rompe.

The main difficulty lies in maintaining the machining axis in the center of the barrel, otherwise one of the sides of the latter weakens and breaks.

One other idea that I did not see mentioned is to try to clamp down the part…then use the Dremel. You won’t get good consistent results trying to hand hold the part…also…sometimes a drill bit serves well as a “grinder” option, especially to use as a finishing tool…increase the speed of the Dremel for the drill bit option…

Last edited:
Back