The Schooner Bluenose 1921, POF Yuanqing Models 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

I finally received my kedge anchors. Dry brushing and installation were straight forward, this finishes the deck fittings at the bow.

View attachment 401041View attachment 401042View attachment 401043View attachment 401044

I made a little progress on the booms and gaffs by adding the clappers and two pulleys at the end of the main boom.

View attachment 401045View attachment 401046

I'm still waiting on a shipment of triple sheeve blocks, in the meantime I'll continue rigging the booms and gaffs.

Thanks for checking in.
Good morning Daniel. Ok……you have outdone yourself with this BN! The bow section with its many fittings and anchors is wonderful. Cheers Grant

I had a pretty good go at the main boom rigging. After studying several resources, I said enough, time to start fabricating, so using relative locations on photos and actual dimensions from my boat and mast I made the following sketch. On something like this I always have to sketch it out first then just follow my sketch.

IMG_3082.jpg

The result.

IMG_3079.jpgIMG_3080.jpgIMG_3081.jpg

Once I have all booms and gaffs fitted I believe I can start looking at sail dimensions and see if the templates that Johan @RDN1954 so kindly sent me will fit as I may have to make some length adjustments.
Thanks for stopping by.

Good morning, all, I was wondering if anyone knows if the Main Boom pole stay, piece # 125 is removed on the real Bluenose when she is traveling under sail.
It is hard to tell for sure looking at actual pictures of her under sail.

Good morning, all, I was wondering if anyone knows if the Main Boom pole stay, piece # 125 is removed on the real Bluenose when she is traveling under sail.
It is hard to tell for sure looking at actual pictures of her under sail.
In this pictures it shows that the pole stay is removed:
200310045.jpg
(Source: Nova Scotia Archives)
Bluenose Fwd Port Qtr.jpg
Bluenose Racing  No. 1.jpg
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
In this pictures it looks that the pole stay is removed:
View attachment 401748
View attachment 401749
View attachment 401750
Regards, Peter
When under sail, the poles are not needed to support the booms; the air pressure/under pressure in the sails generate an upward force, which is being absorbed by the boom sheets.
Once the sails are flip furled, the total mass of sails and booms and gaffs is supported by the pole.
PS That last picture is an absolute beauty...

It remains an intriguing question, Daniel:
I was wondering if anyone knows if the Main Boom pole stay, piece # 125 is removed on the real Bluenose when she is traveling under sail.
This answer from Johan:
When under sail, the poles are not needed to support the booms; the air pressure/under pressure in the sails generate an upward force, which is being absorbed by the boom sheets.
Once the sails are flip furled, the total mass of sails and booms and gaffs is supported by the pole.
is the answer that the pole stay is not useful during sailing. But not the answer if the pole stay stays permanent on deck during sailing. I suppose that when the sails where set, the gaff is already lifting the sail and boom out of the pole stay. But the pictures shows: it does not stay, it's removable.

But you can ask the same question for the fore boom pole stay in front of the main mast. In terms of location, it is less of an obstacle for the crew. But it can also be made removable through a suitable recess in the fife rail. It just needs to release weight downwards.
In the 3 pictures in my post above, it's not clear. On this one it does:
Stay-1.jpg
It is still fun to study the old photos.
Also interesting on this pictures: only ratlines between 2 shrouds. Obvious a picture during racing. Captain Angus Walters removed all unnecessary weight. Even the normally placed double ratlines.
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
It remains an intriguing question, Daniel:

This answer from Johan:

is the answer that the pole stay is not useful during sailing. But not the answer if the pole stay stays permanent on deck during sailing. I suppose that when the sails where set, the gaff is already lifting the sail and boom out of the pole stay. But the pictures shows: it does not stay, it's removable.

But you can ask the same question for the fore boom pole stay in front of the main mast. In terms of location, it is less of an obstacle for the crew. But it can also be made removable through a suitable recess in the fife rail. It just needs to release weight downwards.
In the 3 pictures in my post above, it's not clear. On this one it does:
View attachment 401854
It is still fun to study the old photos.
Also interesting on this pictures: only ratlines between 2 shrouds. Obvious a picture during racing. Captain Angus Walters removed all unnecessary weight. Even the normally placed double ratlines.
Regards, Peter
Those old black and white pictures are something else and transmit a sense of drama, often not present in the colorful pictures we're used to.
Back to the poles. I think the poles were removed when under sail. When I was about 50 years younger, I learned to sail on a 16^2, a gaff rigged open boat with a fixed keel. Once the sails were lowered, first action was to locate a scissor underneath the boom, which supported the boom, mainsail, gaff and the cover. Starting a new day of sailing saw the sequence reversed. The scissors would be stored in a small stowage in the stern.
For our model it doesn't really matter, we are displaying our model, not sailing it, so we're allowed some liberties. ;)

Last edited:
Ok, many thanks to Johan @RDN1954 and Peter @Peter Voogt for your pictures and commentary. While working on the main boom the question popped into my head because I will be adding sails and will have the boom lifted somewhat off the support thus creating an angle at the boom and mast intersection. The apparent angle between boom and mast on my model is about 85 degrees at rest on the pole stay and Johan's template has an angle of 85 degrees as well, so I guess any slack created in the sail can be adjusted with the main gaff position (angle)? I am guessing here, for a sail to catch wind and billow out somewhat there would need to be some slack I suppose. Anyway, all this wondering prompted my question about removing the support, which I don't want to do unless I have to.
Thanks again guys for your input.

Good afternoon, it has been a while since I posted an update. I have taken a little mini break but yesterday and today outfitted the main gaff so here is a very small update. As you will see I am staying with the silver color hardware theme but will switch to a light brown color rope incorporating two shades for all the running rigging.

IMG_3101.jpgIMG_3105.jpgIMG_3106.jpgIMG_3107.jpgIMG_3108.jpg

On a very different note, thought I would introduce a beloved member of our family Levi, our Airedale Terrier just after the admiral and I did our semiannual grooming on him.

IMG_3088.jpg

I hope you all enjoy the photos and thanks for checking in.

Back