The building of AMATI's HMS FLY [COMPLETED BUILD]

Marc
First. You are not alone with dimensions differences. Here we need to use metric with European and Asian models. It's a learning curve but it can be mastered. My suggestion is to use inches and not try to use metric for me it becomes to confusing to mix.
Second. The Constitution uses basswood for planking and construction. If I were to try to improve the kit I would use another wood. With my builds I have used Boxwood, Cherry, and Alaskan Yellow Cedar each of these far exceed Basswood in build and finish. Alaskan Yellow Cedar (AYC) is softer than Boxwood but finishes beautifully with wipe on poly. As displayed on my HM Cheerful
IMG_2265.jpegYou can see the warmth of color
Third. I would look for a European supplier of wood rather than use Basswood.
Hope all this helps and best of luck. I look forward to the Constitution log.

Oh yes, do you see the green foam behind the model. I cut it to shape and when turning the model upside down it gives a firm platform to support the model while planking.
Dearest Will,

I always take your suggestions to heart ... :) So I wil keep the inches.....

Unfortunately, I cannot find the types of wood you mentioned in the largest European online stores (Krick.de or Baillien.be).
The most common types of wood are Walnut and Linde.
Given the availability, I almost have to go for Linde, which is nevertheless of very high quality.
On the other hand, the entire hull is painted in black and decorated with copper plates. So I wil not benefit of the look of the nice wood.....

The deck remains...I still have to decide that.

I'm going to carefully assemble the frame first and then fill it with Balsa wood, as I've noticed that the strips are glued: I've always used very fine nails (to fix the boards on the bulkheads), and then the scraping ....

Best regards,

Marc

The Basswood supplied with the kit Constitution....no comments.
And, I was always looking for the wooden strips.... a few hours and 10 US$...

Gentlemen, would it be interesting to start a blog with the Constitution?

Marc

View attachment 384375

View attachment 384376
Good morning Marc. Go for it, I will pull up a chair. Cheers Grant

Back