The building of AMATI's HMS FLY [COMPLETED BUILD]

The rigging will start soon... and off-course I have to remake the individual bedrolls....
Will is right...
On the other hand I'm adding some details as for example the Anchor rigging...
I also have to repaint some small damages made during the construction...but this will be at the end.
Now starts the rigging and try to understand the plans...

Cheers

marc

rigging-2.jpg

rigging-1.jpg

You are coming closer and closer to the completion - looking very good
Good that you have already the next project in mind (or on the desk)
Does that mean, that @HMSFly will build the HMSSurprise ? Hope you keep the forum nickname ..... ;)

Does that mean, that @HMSFly will build the HMSSurprise ? Hope you keep the forum nickname ..... ;)
well well no it is not the surprise but it's a surprise...... will be followed soon.... and I start a blog because almost not present on our shipofscale....

the surprise: but some contents are broken.... So I have to contact model expo....

20230628_172048 (002).jpg

20230628_172319 (002).jpg

Its a long process, but its looking great. Are you planning to rig the running rigging?
Hey Will, Hope you and your family are fine!
I hope you are spending a nice Holiday: I just received the Kit....Unfortunately, some parts are broken, especially the delicate ones....So there is nothing left for me but to contact Model Expo. Just curious about the response...

20230628_172048 (002).jpg

20230628_172319 (002).jpg

The rigging will start soon... and off-course I have to remake the individual bedrolls....
Will is right...
On the other hand I'm adding some details as for example the Anchor rigging...
I also have to repaint some small damages made during the construction...but this will be at the end.
Now starts the rigging and try to understand the plans...

Cheers

marc

View attachment 377209

View attachment 377210
Following the rigging guides and plans are one thing, but understanding them may be another all together.

Marc
Sorry sad about broken parts. You might be able to start the frame etc before the small parts are required. My experience with Model Expo has been very positive. Click the contact us along the top of the page. This leads you to the replacement parts page. Hope this helps.

Hello Will!

Thx for your advise.
I contacted them through their website. I got an answer from Mr. Garcia who promised to send me the broken parts. Was confirmed through their website. A perfect service! Hopefully it won't take too long to get them. They are very thin plywood parts.....
I also bought a book on Amazon:
The 44-Gun Frigate USS Constitution 'Old Ironsides'
Marquardt, Karl Heinz

The hard part will be the copper fittings on the hull. I received two rolls of copper foil (self-adhesive) which I still have to provide with imitation vowels. Fortunately, Amati sells a tool for this.
I would like to practice on a hull and am currently looking for a cheap used one on the internet...

But I needed a big challenge which I have now found.
I wouldn't have found that company without your help!

But, I have first to finish the rigging of the FLY....

There is the beauty!
After 5 months I finished for 99% the AMATI HMS Fly: I still have to finetune a little bit (painting) and cleaning.
But I decided to leave the FLY as it is, because I could add more details (ropes etc).
Reason: the bleu box is waiting..... (USS Constitution from Modelexpo).

I also made a toolbox for the spare wood: I have so much wood ......

But, now studying the books and plans....

See you.

Marc

finish-1.jpg

finish-2.jpg

finish-3.jpg

finish-4.jpg

Finish-5.jpg

Well done Marc a great job. 5 months is not a lot of time to complete such a beautiful ship.
Hello Will,

As always, you a right.
But with the lessons learned, I hope to be able to do a perfect job with the Constitution.
I faced already a first problem: all dimensions are in inch, while we in Europe always work in the Metric arena.
So for example some strips for the Hull are 1/16" = 1,6 mm. However, all spare strips in Europe are 1,5 mm.
That means that a have to order spare strips in 1,5 x 2 mm, so I have to order a complete new set for the Hull = 1,5 x 2 mm.....
I could order by Modelexpo, but, takes a long time.....
I meanwhile got no news regarding the replacement of the broken plywood boards...
They not responds to my mails...

Marc

Back