The Anatomy of the Bounty - AL-

Those decks look difficult to align correctly, it's going to a very impressive model when finished. BTW Your gratings are so much better than the ones that came with my kit.

Thank you Tony !!! I have my hopes too that the ship will looks fine. I am not sure about impressive :). At least I hope it ends looking like a ship... :) HAHAHA

Cheers
Daniel

What has happened here Daniel? While I was away you turned into a master woodworker? Gratings are brilliant! And done with a table saw at that level of precision!?! You're my new hero!

Thank you!!! But you make me laugh a lot.

As most here at SOS knows, I will be retiring in around 1 year. I had postponed this hobby all my life. So this will be my retirement entertainment. 2 years ago I sold all my Coral Reef tanks/setup. And with that $$$ I started to buy equipment. Some are expensive. But not really if you place it in perspective. I spent a few 1000 in high quality equipment that will work a life time.

Then, I find myself with all these toys and afraid of using them. I will continue building kits. BUT !!!! I will start to replace parts or add parts more and more. I do not expect anything to be perfect, if not I will not enjoy this hobby, but the best I can.

To do thos gratings, a 9" band saw, the Byrnes thickness sander and the Byrnes table saw did the magic. Plus a couple of trials and errors until I got it and did it in one shot.

When I finish this Pain in the Neck ship, I will start something totally different for me. I will try to increase my ship building knowledge and skills. I have started to prepare all. And I will use all my tools.

Retirement is each day nearer and I have to practice :) HAHAHA

Stay tuned

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
You certainly mastered the use of Byrnes table saw - great looking gratings. What did you use 9" table saw for? I wouldn't watch somebody using it, let alone using it myself.

You certainly mastered the use of Byrnes table saw - great looking gratings. What did you use 9" table saw for? I wouldn't watch somebody using it, let alone using it myself.

Thank you Gennaro !!!

The 9" band saw I used it to resaw the Maple. From a 2" thick x 5" x 45 " board I did cut a piece off 2" thick x 2" x 10 "and resawed it ( from the 2" I got a ~ 6 mm thick piece ) . I was lazy to change the blade. So I used the standard blade instead off the resaw blade. Due to that the thickness was something between 5.5 to 6 mm (blade flexed a little). Then with the thickness sander I reduced the thickness to a perfect 4 mm.

In one of the pictures you can see the left over of the Maple piece I used for the gratings.

Cheers
Daniel

HAHAHA ... Gennaro sorry !!!!! I just saw that I wrote 9" Table saw on the previous posting . I corrected it now. Another modeler texted showing my typo mistake.

SORRY !!! :)

Very nice work, Daniel! I, too, like the gratings!

This kit was retired by AL, but they reissued a new version of the cutaway model. It appears to have more bulkhead “frames” than the old version. Can anyone comment on the differences or similarities between the kits.

Very nice work, Daniel! I, too, like the gratings!

This kit was retired by AL, but they reissued a new version of the cutaway model. It appears to have more bulkhead “frames” than the old version. Can anyone comment on the differences or similarities between the kits.

Hi DocBlake ... thank you !!!

I have the new kit boxed too. The big difference is that the hull is full. Meaning the kit is built using bulkheads , like a POB classical kit, but designed to be half open. You do not plank one side. In that way, you do not have all the issues that I am facing now. Really, this kit (the one i am building) is for someone with real experience. Not just another kit. I am sure it had many complains in the past. So they modified to the actual kit.

Bottom line, the new kit and this kit big difference is the hull structure.

Of course there are also smaller differences too.

See this thread:

Thread 'HMS Bounty 1:48 Artesania Latina' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/hms-bounty-1-48-artesania-latina.1781/

Cheers
Daniel

Frames glued. Beams cut to correct length. Only last Stern frames is not glued because I still need to glue a transom section that supports that frame.

I am bending a hull plank. Need to bend 3 more.

For future builders, if any, 2 frames were short. Frames 3 and 4 counting from the bow to stern. If you zoom you will see I added a piece of the wood and shaped it. I thought of doing both completely new. But I do not have that wood. If I do them in cherry, then I will have to do all the frames. I decided to let it as it is.

20220203_185810.jpg20220203_185907.jpg20220203_190004.jpg20220203_190040.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Back