"Start-up Conversations" and "Build Support-Tips, Advice" here.

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

LE ROCHEFORT: Start up conversations

If you get this PM, it means that either you are 1) very interested and plan to build the ANCRE plan set, 2) wish to follow, or 3) thinking seriously about it. Either way, this notice is being sent out to let you all know that the new Group Build for the Le Rochefort has been established and you may start your own personal THREAD. I started a thread only to demonstrate.
I am sure that Uwek, Zoltan, and myself will offer as much Technical Support as we can to help those with this being their first Scratch Build.

You will also notice that Tony P, Tobias, and myself have offered to be the Moderators of this section !

You will see the Group is #4 in the list as shown here:

1669747600977.png

When you click the link you will see that there is a "STICKY" thread at the top. This is where most all the Technical SUPPORT information will go.

I wish you all the best with this Forum and I feel certain that it will be a success !!!

Just Click on the THREAD TITLE to start your Build Log just like any other Log you do.

1669747841030.png

Kindly
Donald

I joined another scratch build some time ago and during the build it was revealed that special wood, laser cut pieces, cannons, etc. would cost over $400.00, beyond my budget. Do you have an estimated cost for this build.

Thanks.

John Gilchrist
Oklahoma City, OK

I joined another scratch build some time ago and during the build it was revealed that special wood, laser cut pieces, cannons, etc. would cost over $400.00, beyond my budget. Do you have an estimated cost for this build.

Thanks.

John Gilchrist
Oklahoma City, OK
John look above at the Lumberyard and dry dock models advertising. Click on them and take a look at what they have to offer. There's just about everything you will ever need to build any ship model and the prices are very reasonable I think. There are also ship model kits for sale too There's even a plastic Missouri there with ten sheets of photo etched details to add to the model and the pictures look great. I was surprised at the extent of the supplies that are offered there. Pete

Thanks.

John Gilchrist
Oklahoma City, OK
Hello John,
With Le Rochefort you have the advantage of not needing guns or lasercut for carving. All you need is some wood, some glue, some woodworking tools and patience. Special woods are not necessary, you can also use oak for the hull. I have seen very nice models built from "normal wood".

John,
you can contact Dave Stevens of dlumberyard.com and he can sponsor your lumber (no cost). You just need to tell him that you need Metric sizes or the Inches Equivalent. You can contact him via PM here @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)
If he is within tolerance, you can also use a drum sander to bring the thickness exactly the way you want it.

There are no Canons or PE parts that I can think of on this build, only lumber is the main thing. If you want to buy your own, then soon there will be those that will have a better LIST of lumber needed for the project.

Well, after some contemplating and sleeping on it. Along with some discussions with my wife, I’m jumping into the deep end of the pool! I don’t plan on lurking but will participate in the group build. Hopefully, once we get started there won’t be to many eye rolls and heavy sighs from the more experienced folks.
Anyway, I’ll be ordering the plans and booklet from Ancre shortly. And I’ve but the book in my letter to Santa…
It doesn’t look like I qualify for sponsorship with The Lumberyard but will see what kind of a dent the wood makes in my wallet. Otherwise I have some walnut and hard maple in my pile but only have full size table saw and band saw… As they say, “a journey of a 1,000 miles begins with a single step.”

Well, after some contemplating and sleeping on it. Along with some discussions with my wife, I’m jumping into the deep end of the pool! I don’t plan on lurking but will participate in the group build. Hopefully, once we get started there won’t be to many eye rolls and heavy sighs from the more experienced folks about the FNG (F’ng New Guy).
Anyway, I’ll be ordering the plans and booklet from Ancre shortly. And I’ve but the book in my letter to Santa…
It doesn’t look like I qualify for sponsorship with The Lumberyard but will see what kind of a dent the wood makes in my wallet. Otherwise I have some walnut and hard maple in my pile but only have full size table saw and band saw… As they say, “a journey of a 1,000 miles begins with a single step.”
You need to contact @Dave Stevens (Lumberyard) if you qualify ,but I do not see why not

Thanks.

John Gilchrist
Oklahoma City, OK
Like Donnie and Tobias mentioned already.
The only real costs are the necessary wood, and here you have costs in your hands, which kind of wood you choose for the build.

The aim of the group build is to learn and exercising the main techniques and works necessary for a scratch PlankOnFrame model.

When you take a look at the most important drawings

keel and related elements
IMG_13081.jpg
framing
IMG_13091.jpg
longitudinal section
IMG_13121.jpg

you can see, that there are no guns or complicated metal works necessary.
also another advantage is the fact, that it is realtively small ship, so also the necessary wood quantity is not so big

also no or very simple decorations
IMG_13071.jpg

Something else
you can also stop after finishing the hull (if your aim is to learn the wood-working techniques) and make the model without the mast and rigging.

IMG_12701.JPG

Although the ship has only one mast with a relatively reduced rigging, so not much rope and blocks will be necessary.

BTW: Gérard included in his monograph also a detailed list of necessary blocks and rope for the rigging, so you know exactly the necessary quantity. I can imagine, that here Zoly can prepare a complete set of blocks and / or rope especially for the group builders. So also here you do not need to buy excess quantities.....

The Le Rochefort is a very good way to start scratch building with the lowest possible investment

Attachments

• IMG_13181.jpg
    IMG_13181.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 23
Hi, do I need to start a build log to keep track of this group build,
I will build Le Gros Ventre 1-36 sometime in the future,
but i just want to follow this group build to learn more.
Greetings Knut-

Hi,anybody can follow the builds just like any on the forum,,no need for a build log if you dont build it

A kind word of advice - go buy a board of cherry (which is relatively inexpensive) and if you dont have the tools to reduce it - go find a cabinet maker to assist you.

I had a local cabinet maker dimension a flitch of Pear for my builds to 3/8, 1/4 and 3/16 for about 80 dollars in shop time. I do own a thickness sander to dimension to exact measurements.

Thanks everybody for your comments regarding budget issues. With no need for laser pieces especially I have plenty of wood and fittings left over from previous builds, and purchases, that I believe I could go forward with this build. I purchased the book but missed the need for the plans so will have purchase separately.
I will follow the group for now as I need to finish my current builds.
Thanks again everyone for your very helpful replies.

Good - glad to have you join. I think you will enjoy it.

Thanks everybody for your comments regarding budget issues. With no need for laser pieces especially I have plenty of wood and fittings left over from previous builds, and purchases, that I believe I could go forward with this build. I purchased the book but missed the need for the plans so will have purchase separately.
Which book? The Sorolla book or the Rochefort book/monograph? If you bought the Rochefort monograph then you get the plans with it in 1/36...If you want 1/24 you have to buy them separately... If you just got the Sorolla book then you need go buy the Rochefort monograph too

All you need is the 6.75mm for the keel assembly and the 5.30mm for the frames. You can even hold off on the keel material until you get the frames cut out and assembled. Doesn’t matter.

All you need is the 6.75mm for the keel assembly and the 5.30mm for the frames. You can even hold off on the keel material until you get the frames cut out and assembled. Doesn’t matter.
ask, are the dimensional measurements of the ship real? Thank you

Back