Sovereign of the Seas, a reconstruction

Hi Marten,

I use for the reconstruction of the hull the Bruns plan and the drawing from Kupniewitsch for the decoration. But I think the shape of Werner Bruns is not bad but in details you can make it better. I change the shape of the bow. If you need any details, dont hesitate to contact me.

Dirk

IMG_8478.JPG

IMG_0869.JPG

D2B_0013.JPG

Hi Marten,

I use for the reconstruction of the hull the Bruns plan and the drawing from Kupniewitsch for the decoration. But I think the shape of Werner Bruns is not bad but in details you can make it better. I change the shape of the bow. If you need any details, dont hesitate to contact me.

Dirk

View attachment 416364

View attachment 416365

View attachment 416366
Hast du noch mehr Bilder von diesem tollen Modell?
Do you have any more pictures of this fine model?

I start with this model in 2010 and finished it in 2017. It was a job for the Deutsches Technikmuseum in Berlin. You can find it in the exhibitition. Their own model maker died unexpectet and they are looking for a new one. It was my first job. Now any years later, I see some little mistakes, but I beleave the work is not so bad. We were a litte group of differend people to build a new reconstruction: historian, carver, gilder and me. The museum had a collection of the newest information about the ship but only on paper. Today I have no time to look for the paper, but I can send the contact person in the museum to find out the drawings and so on. If I stay at home, I will find the documentation. The question of a blog: Not enought time. But I find some minutes to show any uncommented pictures.
The last half year I renovate our new flat; any jobs waiting and I hope to order my life to get time to complete old projects from a died friend, or my Tatra 603-1. to much projects. Best christmas whishes from Berlin.

IMG_9743.JPG

D2B_7312.JPG

20210430_111034.jpg

....this is an example for the drawings from Arthur Kupnewitsch. The carver used it for the decoartion. Have you ever seen this?

View attachment 417324
Hi Dirk,

No I have never seen his drawing and am very interested in it. Is it available somewhere?

See we have similar interest as I am currently also working on my oldtimer a 1975 RR Silver Shadow LWB which needs a rear subframe restoration.
20231017_085210.jpg

I have found werner Bruns work which is great and helps a lot.
For people interested in it please see link below.

needs a rear subframe restoration.
Nog veel werk te doen. Ga je alle bussen vervangen? Zou ik wel doen. Meestal zien ze er goed uit maar is de rubber grotendeels losgelaten en dit veroorzaakt geluid en trillingen. Ook die twee van de stabilisatorstang zijn belangrijk. Die houden de auto recht op de weg. Als ik, dit zie jeuken mijn vingers.

Still a lot of work to do. Are you going to replace all the bushings? I would. Usually they look good but most of the rubber is loose and this causes noise and vibration. Also, those two on the stabilizer bar are important. Those keep the car straight on the road. When I, see this my fingers itch.

Nog veel werk te doen. Ga je alle bussen vervangen? Zou ik wel doen. Meestal zien ze er goed uit maar is de rubber grotendeels losgelaten en dit veroorzaakt geluid en trillingen. Ook die twee van de stabilisatorstang zijn belangrijk. Die houden de auto recht op de weg. Als ik, dit zie jeuken mijn vingers.

Still a lot of work to do. Are you going to replace all the bushings? I would. Usually they look good but most of the rubber is loose and this causes noise and vibration. Also, those two on the stabilizer bar are important. Those keep the car straight on the road. When I, see this my fingers itch.
Luckily this was the status in november.
Now already a lot of parts are as new.
Ofcourse most of the rubbers will be replaced after 50 years of service. Unfortunately not all are available anymore, but the general condition is still fine.
20231226_153915.jpg20231226_153928.jpg20231119_184930.jpg

Last edited:
Goed bezig jongen. :)
Unfortunately not all are available anymore
RR uses a lot of parts of other brands, especcially things like rubber bushings. I had family with a car parts shop. A lot of these parts are just still the same on a lot of cars. Good luck with this puzzle.

The best source for the decoration of the SotS is the book from Busman. If I remember right the drawing is also part of the book

Busman is the best source. They show all pictures and summarize the information. I had contact with Busman, but in the end it was strange. The drawings from Kupnewitsch are not in the book, he made his own work. I called with him, but the scale of the drawings was not save. Each call the drawing had an other scale! I try to find a solution for the differend measures from Bruns and Kupnewitsch. You cant take the shape of the hull and pic up the carves one it. For example the angle of the back steven (I hope you understand it) is for the figures of the galleries importend. Here a contorted picture to create matching figures.

Next week I hope to find time, to serch the Kupnewitsch drawing (I have the complete set of drawings on paper). Maybe I found the contact, its long time ago.

GalerierechtsSotS_edit.jpg

GalerieSotS.jpg

IMG_0873.JPG

I start with this model in 2010 and finished it in 2017. It was a job for the Deutsches Technikmuseum in Berlin. You can find it in the exhibitition. Their own model maker died unexpectet and they are looking for a new one. It was my first job. Now any years later, I see some little mistakes, but I beleave the work is not so bad. We were a litte group of differend people to build a new reconstruction: historian, carver, gilder and me. The museum had a collection of the newest information about the ship but only on paper. Today I have no time to look for the paper, but I can send the contact person in the museum to find out the drawings and so on. If I stay at home, I will find the documentation. The question of a blog: Not enought time. But I find some minutes to show any uncommented pictures.
The last half year I renovate our new flat; any jobs waiting and I hope to order my life to get time to complete old projects from a died friend, or my Tatra 603-1. to much projects. Best christmas whishes from Berlin.

View attachment 416443

View attachment 416444

View attachment 416445
Hi Dirk,

No I have never seen his drawing and am very interested in it. Is it available somewhere?

See we have similar interest as I am currently also working on my oldtimer a 1975 RR Silver Shadow LWB which needs a rear subframe restoration.
View attachment 417340

I have found werner Bruns work which is great and helps a lot.
For people interested in it please see link below.

Happy New Year Martin,
I see there are still crazy people like me. This is my "little" project. I bought it in Holland with original old licence plates.

IMG_1770.jpeg

IMG_7093.jpeg

Very interesting information here in this topic ...... many thanks for all these
@frumi : Knowing your limited time (projects) and also the great model of your Alert, mayne you can post once some photos of your SoS in this area
There would be no text necessary - but we love to study photos

As you have seen in previous posts from a lot of contributers there is a lot of data available on this ship, but from contemporary sources it is rather limited and sometimes contradictional. For the main dimensions I have made a comparison in excel between the contemporary data, handed over via the biography of Phineas Pett, with the recontructions of Werner Bruns and John McKay. A major difference between Werner Bruns and John McKay is the sources they have used for their reconstruction of the missing data for the ship.
Werner Bruns has used a Doctrine from around 1620 written by an unknown source about English ship building. The source is a little early for SotS finished in 1637 and written 15 years before the build, but for sure it was a source used during Phineas Pett's working life time.
John McKay has based his reconstruction on Deane's Doctrine of 1670, 33 years after the ship being finalized.

Werner Bruns made a complete reconstruction of the hull shape available to everyone and which can be found on his fantastic website on this topic.

John McKay published his book about SotS some years ago. This is a very nice book worth every penny but his design is questionable. See more about the book here.

There is a third possible source which is the compleat shipwright from Edmund Bushnell from 1664, 27 years after the build. I am currently looking if this a usable source for a design comparison with the two other mentioned designs and see if there are remarkable differences.

At least we know the designs of Phineas Pett were forward in time compared to the market. The ship was build by his son Peter which would mean again the ship design would have been modern.
Secondly if you are writing a book about ship building you would expect it is a book showing experiences and common practise used at the time and not showing the most modern methodes practised by progressive builders like the Pett's. You would therefore expect that Pett used his latest ideas and lifetime experience combined with the fresh look at things from his younger son in his piece de resistance the SotS. So maybe using a later source doctrine is an aceptable idea.
Who's right we just don't know but I hope to shed some light on this by comparing the design evolving from different contemporary sources.

From the comparison in the data sofar we see that Werner Bruns used all the contemporary data in his design coming from the Pett autobiography allthough his center frame is slightly different on the top timbers sweep (which is not handed over in time) than in the Autobiography center frame reconstruction.
I have highlighted the data different as in the contemporary source in yellow and herewith we see McKay changed a lot of these to fit to his design.

See the excel attached

Next time I will discuss the sources I am currently using to retrieve as much data as possible.
All comments or extra data is welcome.

Attachments

• Sots measurement details.xlsx
    1.6 MB · Views: 15
Back