Sovereign of the Seas, a reconstruction

For ages I already want to build a model of the Sovereign of the Seas and yes I know this is the ship you can all do it wrong. But when John mcKay came with his book I though maybe this is the time to start thinking about it. Unfortunately there are a lot of things I would do differently than he designed it. So for already three years I am collecting data and knowledge about this ship to finally be able to build my own interpretation of this ship in scale 1:48. Building methode full frame.
My idea is to build the model as she was build by Peter Pett with the SB side according the design of probably Peter Pett "the Boston painting" and the PS side as actually build using the Van de Velde drawing "known as the Morgan drawing, allthough not from Morgan anymore" as major resources.

Can you expect first dust next week? NOOOOOOO, most probably not even in the coming 5 years. This is just the start of how I want to do this, how to check and get the resources and how to design the hull shape. I even want to try to build the ship as being build in the 17th century of the resources are clear enough to do it like that.
So next to my current builds Royal Caroline and the Ghost Ship fluyt this will be paper work and lots of reading.

To give you a start of my research sofar I made a time laps of the ship and added the data I have found sofar in the well known resources being Busmann, Sephton and recently McKay. Many resources will follow like for instance Phineas Pett autobiography and many others. Ideas are always welcome.

The time laps you can find in the pdf attached.

Hope this will be a nice project for in the future, some people have shelfs full of kits, I have shelfs full of plans and ideas but hope this one will see daylight in the future.
I am absolutely, 100% on-board with this creative venture! I love the scope and ambition of the project, and I know you have the talent to pull it off!

This project will be certainly one of the great undertakings. With room for much interpretation, I'm sure you will add the "Maarten" flavor to it. It will be on my watch list for sure. My only concern is being around to see it finished if sawdust production won't start for 5 years. Maarten, I'm not a young man! :)
What'ch'you talkin' about Hoss? You look great in that picture ;)ROTF

sadly i am not skilled enough to do things from stractch , so I decided to buy the de agostini and mantua model and do small bit from scratch but since I love next to the greenwhich maritime museum I collected few stuff , I hope it helps

fred

thumbnail_IMG_0524.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0525.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0533.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0534.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_0535.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_052567.jpg

wp0c1d507a_05_06.jpg

Here is one such debate with excellent supporting resources:

Maarten got a ban there :cool::) he is supporting China.

Hi Mark,

Thx for your interest.
For me round tuck for sure. The early Van de Velde drawings of 1675 and the Jacob Knijf painting of 1673 show clearly a round tuck.
20231218_183658.jpg

Only the 1659/1560 rebuild has been in between this and the new build of the ship, except for the 1651 minor modification of the grating decks. As the complete stern and galleries after the 1659 rebuild are stil the same the tuck would have been the same. So for me 99.9 % round tuck. Even the 1635 design painting seems to confirm this as it looks like having a round tuck.

Ps the timeline document is some thing I will update from time to time while figuring out new things.
Next thing I am working on is main frame design, comparing the Seppings design vs McKay, Bushnell vs Phineas Pett autobiography and see if we can get any new info from that. Maybe people have other sugestions.
So far I understood McKay used Dean to constructed his hull shape. Although Deans treatise is 30 years after the build of the SotS he had close connection to the Pett family.
It will be interesting to compare.

You see a lot to read and research in the coming time.

Last edited:
sadly i am not skilled enough to do things from stractch , so I decided to buy the de agostini and mantua model and do small bit from scratch but since I love next to the greenwhich maritime museum I collected few stuff , I hope it helps

fred

View attachment 415943

View attachment 415944

View attachment 415945

View attachment 415946

View attachment 415947

View attachment 415948

View attachment 415949
Hi Fred,

Your pictures of the Lely painting are great, I think you posted them some time ago already and I downloaded those.
I have been in the nmm in May this year and actually haven t taken new pictures while yours are so good in detail. Many thanks for that.

Suggest a hard look at building process. If you build fully as if … 2 to 4 years. Maybe 5 years. There are some excellent examples of alternative than fully framing. I really wish you luck! The changes are not fully documented but …. I feel the research will take a year. Please visit and see other built ships of this. Choose wisely: if you’re a shipwright ok if not, think of spilling to gallery build. It’s all hard … I thought making a cooker would be simple: OMG … How much detail? The carving nearly sent me bonkers on a 74 gun. That took a year!
Well
Good luck
Let’s see the progress
And keep your hair / cool

My only advice is to walk away, get some sleep and another or 2 or 3 or …. But the light pops on and the shavings increase. Jigs as you build and waiting for the bits to come is :(((!!! No matter how you plan it.

Best of luck!

Suggest a hard look at building process. If you build fully as if … 2 to 4 years. Maybe 5 years. There are some excellent examples of alternative than fully framing. I really wish you luck! The changes are not fully documented but …. I feel the research will take a year. Please visit and see other built ships of this. Choose wisely: if you’re a shipwright ok if not, think of spilling to gallery build. It’s all hard … I thought making a cooker would be simple: OMG … How much detail? The carving nearly sent me bonkers on a 74 gun. That took a year!
Well
Good luck
Let’s see the progress
And keep your hair / cool

My only advice is to walk away, get some sleep and another or 2 or 3 or …. But the light pops on and the shavings increase. Jigs as you build and waiting for the bits to come is :(((!!! No matter how you plan it.

Best of luck!
Hi Hermies,
Good advise, but don't worry. These project are not born in one week. I am already planning this for some time. As mentioned it will still be a long time before starting. But I like to take readers along the way of building something that is not fully documented.
Check my current build on the ghost ship. My planning work on that one is already some years and now just started beginning this year with first dust. Research is key and that is what I am starting now.

Back