Something reasonable out of Hoeckel's "FREGATTE BERLIN 1674" possible?

Nothing bitter intended Chris, things are what they are.

So you are looking for plans for a small frigate. Forget original drawings, they are non-existing. New drawings? Yes, I remember some German model builders successfully working on a model of 'Edam'. Perhaps you should explore German forums. Another option is Artitec's Postiljon. Herbert Tomesen planned to bring it out as a kit, but changed his plans. Perhaps he has material that can be used. You can find Artitec online. Here an impression of the model:

View attachment 428024View attachment 428025 View attachment 428022

View attachment 428023

A ship like this can relatively easily be built. 26 guns...
Hi Ab,

What a fine model from Herbert. A pity that he didn't decide to release a model of it.
Due to its compact size it is a model which could be build at a large scale of 1:33 or similar.
Time for a new book on Dutch frigates :)

Hello dear friends,

this is exactly what I feared - a nice looking but historically worthless build l would have time, effort, and materials wasted. But a big thanks for this interesting (quite French?) one of a blue.

So as @Heinrich told me to widen my mind and so all this in here led me into this newish article:
AKERBOOM
zijaanzicht (1).JPG
Ab Hoving was very kind to sent scaled 1/66 drawings, so I cut the discussion short in here - and do hope to meet you all at the CardYard.
Hth.

Last edited:
Ab Hoving wrote in "Das Logbuch" His famouse article that this plan (beside others) from the Imperial Museum in Amsterdam:
View attachment 427977
...due to several errors in used material, wording, and shape of the model isn't an original/contemporary one of a Dutch pinass.
Hello Iterum,
I think you missed the good news that this drawing of the Scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam is not a fake. The Scheepvaartmuseum had the drawings that were considered to be fakes, and some more, tested by the Rijksdienst voor Cultureel Erfgoed (RCE) in 2022, and the RCE came to the conclusion that all these drawings are original, contemporary seventeenth century drawings.

It is sometimes suggested that the drawings of the Scheepvaartmuseum show a shiptype that did not exist, a single deck vessel. But this is not correct, single deck vessels of this type surely existed. These single deck vessels are, for example, mentioned by Witsen in 1671, by Van Yk in 1697 and by Van Dam in 1702, and contracts for single deck vessels can be found in archives.
Witsen says on page 162 of his book: "These days also Pynas ships with one deck are built ...".
Van Yk gives a contract for a single deck ship of 85 feet of 1668 on page 143, and a contract for a single deck ship of 80 feet of 1634 on page 154 of his book. The dimensions of the masts and spars for the first ship can be found on page 200.
Van Dam mentions Bock and Geit of 1666 and describes them as "with one deck", and mentions Trompetter and Tambour of 1691 and describes them as "frigates with one deck".
The Zeeuws Archief in Middelburg holds a contract for a single deck warship of 100 feet of 1626.

So it is perfectly fine to use the drawings of the Scheepvaartmuseum to reconstruct single deck vessels, as Rolf Hoeckel did. If Rolf Hoeckel succeeded in making a good reconstruction of the frigate Berlin is another question.
Here is a reconstruction of Dromedaris made by Donald McNarry, based on the drawings of the Scheepvaartmuseum.
Dromedaris, McNarry.JPG

So if you would rephrase your question to 'Something reasonable out of the drawings of the Scheepvaartmuseum in Amsterdam possible?', I would wholeheartedly answer with 'yes'.
R.

Back