Something reasonable out of Hoeckel's "FREGATTE BERLIN 1674" possible?

Dear Friends,

due to a ruptur in my retina I will be unable to build models for a longer time. As I am allowed to ready again I do have a plenty of time to deal with my "mind-games" untill 3D-view abilitys will come back fully.

Ab Hoving wrote in "Das Logbuch" His famouse article that this plan (beside others) from the Imperial Museum in Amsterdam:
892598.png
...due to several errors in used material, wording, and shape of the model isn't an original/contemporary one of a Dutch pinass.

But a long time ago Mr. Hoeckel made a very interesting shipmodelplan just based on this questionable source. And in this book together with others He wrote some Text and added a special set of drawings for model building. And told in Germany his product FRIGATTE BERLIN or STAD BERLIJN in a book of the famous (but outdated) Blue Row.

A1hJYDyTRQL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

A big German manufacturer produced a ship kit based on this set of plans in 1/40 (one to what?) in wood - it and it's halfbuild models got a common guest at e-buy over the years:

k-CIMG0739.JPG

So I got the book as a present during my illness with the plans inside in an astonishing well preserved condition.
images (54).jpeg
I know there were hundrets of BERLINs build over the last 50 years - and I do enter to you here with the question.

Based on the lines plan in the book:
ec8367008b5eb5f3c2434b4b09bd0842.jpg
and the drawings of the kit floating arround:
d948f4a365104ea68cbd8af181614ed6.jpg
Are three sails above each other possible in 1674 at all?

So my question is if it is possible to build something reasonable based on these lines "cladded" with some drawings from the two van de Veldes?

Here all the pictures of their Dutch fregats I was able to find (with a review below) online:
py1767_cf1e7f71-4031-4200-bd7d-f1e3fb4ac7ee_1024x1024.jpg
10 instead of 6 gunports (allways per side)
py5014_6c868625-1e91-4a4a-bb52-ec37bb2f8b30_1024x1024.jpg
9 instead of 6 gun ports fine detail
9c2a16599fcb150d0548c3d306fecb69.jpg
9 instead of 6 gunports beautyfull figurehead
8231597882_fff258369c_b.jpg
...a first hit with 6 gunports of 6 in the main battery...
8230556835_a7b550840f_b.jpg
...the transom looks great but again a surplus in gunports - could one "transplant" the transom onto the above hull?

Not the best findings are these two:
py1766_8aa716ab-8020-495d-aa9e-ceffa5a8a471_1024x1024.jpg
11 gunports and a very high rising aft...

2018LH4243.jpg
...hardly anything to identify "in the fog" here.

I am quite hopefully about this finding of "A Dutch Fregat by Van de Velde the Younger"

MUS-FAPC1114_850.jpg
There is only a single gunports "too much" but the shape looks right and the drawing is crisp.

At the very end I bumped into one English fregat with two surplus guns per broadside:

Willem_van_de_Velde_the_Younger_-_An_English_Frigate_at_Anchor_Viewed_from_the_Port_Quarter_-_...jpg
So do you think it is a possibility (by figuring out what bow-view belongs to the transom portrait) or should I fry something like an Dutch (like BERLIN is defenetly) or Danish build early French frigate?

Thank you very much for your intrest.

890393.png

f15t231p1456n2.jpg

f15t231p1459n2.jpg

brandenburger-frigate-berlin-1674.png

As always: you can build whatever you like. Model building is just a hobby. You can build a Black Pearl or any other nonsense design. It is even possible to succeed in making something beautiful out of it. All well as long as you have fun in building.
The problem starts when you want to produce something credible, something referring to historical sources. These Hoeckel plans, with all due respect, are not. However beautiful the model based on it might be, it remains complete nonsense.
In your gallery of examples you did not mention that fact that all frigates you show ('pinas' is simply a wrong identification) are two-deckers in contradiction to the one Hoeckel drew. I never ever spotted one single decked frigate. But that is another story, let's keep it simple.:)

Last edited:
Thanks Ab, that sounds realistic and bitter...
...but realistic! Thank you very much.

And so would the Dutch build FRIEDRICH III. 1689 be any better choice? I am looking at 50-gun ship suddenly.
Polish_20240215_092317182.jpg
IThe plan set is from the book "Schiffe unterm roten Adler" (Ships under the Red Eagle) written by Günther Schmidt in 1986 publisher is Hirnstorff Rostock/Delius-Klarsing Bielefeld.
Polish_20240215_092216909.jpg
Or is the "Der holländische Zweidecker von 1660/1670" a reasonable choice?
16077783449.jpg
Shemale is such a beauty - but then I do have to struggle
images (55).jpeg
with an emense 64-gun Ship of the Line! And in this drawings are including a reconstructed mast- and rigging out of the first decade of the XX.century (rebuild on Emperor Wilhelm II. special order by some seamen of a Naval Station near Berlin). So I do not know if these are of any good?

Or is it possible to reduce/deminish the lines - put in the decks and... :-/

So where to get an early Dutch Fregat from?

Nothing bitter intended Chris, things are what they are.

So you are looking for plans for a small frigate. Forget original drawings, they are non-existing. New drawings? Yes, I remember some German model builders successfully working on a model of 'Edam'. Perhaps you should explore German forums. Another option is Artitec's Postiljon. Herbert Tomesen planned to bring it out as a kit, but changed his plans. Perhaps he has material that can be used. You can find Artitec online. Here an impression of the model:

Schermafbeelding 2024-02-15 om 10.27.35.pngSchermafbeelding 2024-02-15 om 10.37.20.png postiljon_3.jpg

postiljon_4.jpg

A ship like this can relatively easily be built. 26 guns...

Christian. If you are willing to widen your scope to the 1680's and to include 50-gun ships, I may have something for you.

Nothing bitter intended Chris, things are what they are.

So you are looking for plans for a small frigate. Forget original drawings, they are non-existing. New drawings? Yes, I remember some German model builders successfully working on a model of 'Edam'. Perhaps you should explore German forums. Another option is Artitec's Postiljon. Herbert Tomesen planned to bring it out as a kit, but changed his plans. Perhaps he has material that can be used. You can find Artitec online. Here an impression of the model:

View attachment 428024View attachment 428025 View attachment 428022

View attachment 428023

A ship like this can relatively easily be built. 26 guns...
That looks great - wounderfull...

Edit: Bitter is from time to time not too bad for our health ;-) and I do like your truthfull language pushing straight towards the point.

Last edited:
The plans Heinrich is referring to are modified plans of the Hohenzollermodel. Not exactly a frigate. A frigate is a man-of-war with a maximum of 40 gun (at least in Holland in the 17th century).
Give me some time, I am working on a lines plan of the 100 feet long frigate I mentioned above. I think that one is closer to what you are looking for than the big Hohenzollern model. Unless you think otherwise...

The plans Heinrich is referring to are modified plans of the Hohenzollermodel. Not exactly a frigate. A frigate is a man-of-war with a maximum of 40 gun (at least in Holland in the 17th century).
Give me some time, I am working on a lines plan of the 100 feet long frigate I mentioned above. I think that one is closer to what you are looking for than the big Hohenzollern model. Unless you think otherwise...
That would be a great project to build, I am pationate and do wait, Ab. Thank you very much for this prompt support...

Dear Ab, so it will come on our journey to

Het_kanonschot_Rijksmuseum_SK-C-244.jpeg
something like this ship* painted in 1680 by Van de Velde? I did count 26 gun barrels and open lids - giving a 50 (chaseports armed by 1/2 gun) or 52 gun ship to me (in case two aft gun ports are permanently armed) if I am right.
That's a goal...

Thanks for this.

_______
* I wasn't able to figure out any name belonging to this ship - does anybody has a name?

Last edited:
The drawings of this ship I can send you right away, because I built it a few years ago:
IMG_9786 kopie.jpg

But I was under the impression that you were looking for a much smaller ship, a frigate, so I am busy finding draughts for such a vessel. So make your pick: this big 60-guns one (already available) or the smaller one 26-guns like the Postiljon I mentioned, for which you will have to be patient for a while.
Ab

Back