Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

Got to agree Marc, the kit's cost is primarily down to the castings and etch.

Regarding Rope, I am going all Polyester on this build as no fuzz to worry about, unlike cotton. All my blocks will be from Drydock models and I am accumulating a stash ready for the gun deck. Delivery for both from Canada to UK is not much longer than UK post!

I have been detail painting the etch that goes on the underside of the beak grating supports. These are to glue on tomorrow then over she goes.

The building board needs altering again so the model is secured by threaded rod into the nuts ( which my power feed comes through) that are already installed. I can then run temporary cables to the base to allow me to test my lighting as it is installed.

Rigging estimations....mmm.... I will just keep buying rope until it is doneROTF Wastage is the big issue, especially rigging small items like cannons etc. I reckon if I was to work it out,I would add 30% again as a ballpark.

I watch this build the way we once watched the O.J. Simpson saga play out; not at all lurid, and certainly enriching. It's actually a little embarrassing how much time I spend looking at this model - I just love it!

Okay, I'm glad to hear you say that, 'cuz my thinking is to find reliable sources and buy stuff according to loose estimates, and just re-order as necessary. Shipping adds up, of course, but good stuff won't go to waste. So, there's that.

I'm psyched that you have a decent stretch of build time; "laissez les bon temps, rouler!" - Popeye2Sea, AKA Henry Rodriguez, Boston

Last edited:
I watch this build the way we once watched the O.J. Simpson saga play out; not at all lurid, and certainly enriching. It's actually a little embarrassing how much time I spend looking at this model - I just love it!

Okay, I'm glad to hear you say that, 'cuz my thinking is to find reliable sources and buy stuff according to loose estimates, and just re-order as necessary. Shipping adds up, of course, but good stuff won't go to waste. So, there's that.

I'm psyched that you have a decent stretch of build time; "laissez les bon temps, rouler!" - Popeye2Sea, AKA Henry Rodriguez, Boston
After the first couple hours, I really wished OJ would slam into a tree... but that was nothing compared to the months and MONTHS of OJ trial after that. Mein Gott! :rolleyes:

OJ Simpson trial... now that really did drag on ROTF

I will get a better idea so I can estimate phases of rigging when I have yards and masts made up. I haven't even got as far as working out the heights yet, just the base diameters of the masts, 15mm,12mm and 10mm respectively. Mainmast is fat at 1200mm diameter on the original !

Hey Nigel. Were the outside of gun port covers ever festooned?

What do you mean by Festooned Paul ? Decorated? If so, then I would say no, however something is telling me they were on one vessel but can't remember which? .......

With the painted kit supplied photo etch fitted under the Beak (last picture) the building board was altered again to accommodate the model. The model is secured to board with M4 Galvanised steel threaded rod and positive and negative wires run to these posts.

I have tested the wires inside the hull and I have power, a relief I had not cut/drilled through the cables that run inside the lower hull.

The hull sits on soft Balsa pads so the finish is not marred and the adjustable beech rod through one pair of gun ports has allowed me to set the hull perfectly level to the build board with no wobble.

IMG_0907.JPGIMG_0908.JPGIMG_0912.JPGIMG_0913.JPG

Back