Soleil Royal- Re-engineering Artesania Latina's New Kit by NMBROOK

That is a good idea to mill the LEDs. In hindsight maybe I should have done the same, but I purchased some stuff from the following site:

I didn't want to have to do a lot of soldering and so I purchased some small LEDs that already had a resitor soldered to one of the leads.

That is a good idea to mill the LEDs. In hindsight maybe I should have done the same, but I purchased some stuff from the following site:

I didn't want to have to do a lot of soldering and so I purchased some small LEDs that already had a resitor soldered to one of the leads.

With the gold paint curing on the remaining decor for the Stern Counter I focused my attention to the gunport lids.

These are made up of three layers of veneer to continue the colour theme of the Berain artwork. I have not used individual planks as the outer face of the lids will not be seen and the items would have little strength to them had I done so. These are matched individually to the ports as these ones are Parallelograms to follow the deck's camber

I also show the hinges I am going to use.This fret was ordered from a Guy on MSW many years ago who did a limited run of them for members at the time. The tarnish will be removed by soaking in Cola for a few hours, before blackening

IMG_0891.jpgIMG_0893.jpgIMG_0892.jpg

Hi Nigel,
It's always a pleasure to see your updates. Your precision is incredible and I love it.
Tobias, you are absolutely right - and I would be happy to see more often updates - also the smallest work and progress are very interesting to see and follow -> so much to learn

Thanks Guys!

I finished working my notice in my previous job last Friday and am now in theory unemployed for two weeks before I start my new one as I am due a holiday. Hope to get quite a bit done in this time and also hope my new role will afford me more time for modelling :)

Kind Regards

Nigel

My cast resin scrolls are now fitted and I tweaked the kit casting to fit my rudder as the kit version is only 4mm thick!

The port lids are complete apart from their Fleur de lys which I will have to cast as the kit does not have proper gunport in these locations. I shall take a mould off the kit castings as these are particularly nice but only enough supplied to cover the main gunports on the ship's sides. The lids are just placed in a timber block to allow me to work all sides applying varnish.The lids do have a curve to them which matches the transom.

A small note is that the little walnut block under the rudder casting is a temporary spacer while the epoxy dries.

IMG_0894.jpgIMG_0895.jpgIMG_0896.jpgIMG_0897.jpg

My cast resin scrolls are now fitted and I tweaked the kit casting to fit my rudder as the kit version is only 4mm thick!

The port lids are complete apart from their Fleur de lys which I will have to cast as the kit does not have proper gunport in these locations. I shall take a mould off the kit castings as these are particularly nice but only enough supplied to cover the main gunports on the ship's sides. The lids are just placed in a timber block to allow me to work all sides applying varnish.The lids do have a curve to them which matches the transom.

A small note is that the little walnut block under the rudder casting is a temporary spacer while the epoxy dries.

View attachment 391790View attachment 391791View attachment 391792View attachment 391793
Good evening Nigel. I’m not following you anymore- this is too good and makes me depressed ROTF . Seriously though it is good to see what modelling excellence is all about. Cheers Grant

Despite some distractions I have installed the four port lids on the stern counter. These are rigged with Polyester rope from Ropes of scale. I have installed 08.mm blackened brass micro tube ferules for the ropes where they go through the hull but will cover this in more detail when doing the side gunport.

I have also added Ebony and Black Veneer cheeks to the cutwater, a detail I like and have copied from my Saint Philippe monogram. Makes sense given the projection of the decorative mouldings.

IMG_0903.JPGIMG_0904.JPGIMG_0905.JPGIMG_0906.JPG

I suppose I should stop being so surprised by the quality of the kit castings - those fleurs are really excellent! The gammoning bolsters are also a nice touch.

Thanks for the rope reference. I’ve been looking at various suppliers for rope and blocks. I’ve been very impressed with the modeling of Drydock Model’s blocks, and they carry a nice array of cotton ropes. I’m just unsure of what the best material for scale ropes is. Cotton loses integrity over time, apparently, and polyester moves according to the relative humidity. My plastic model will never be displayed near a window, so maybe the aging of cotton isn’t that big a deal.

Back