Ship in trouble

@Herman: Yes it does, but not for long I'm afraid...:)
@Jimsky: If you look at the first pictures I posted in this thread you can see that the crew apparently made an effort to bring out the boat, but something went wrong and the boat smashed the wash board amidships and damaged its planking. Not much use for stoppers...
@Peter Gutterman: Thanks for your enthusiasm.
@Peter Voogt: Well, artists.. it's all just illusion you know.
@Maarten: Yes, but the fluit is having a lot of trouble getting nearer. It's all in the game.

Dramatic scene - just a comment -> maybe there should be some additional part of mast and / or yardarm in the water (the ship lost already some parts of the rigging)

I have been an admirer of your work for quite some time now Mr. Hoving, the wrecked ship model you show does indeed have a fascinating appeal to it.
The paintings from your son are so beautiful. He has captured beauty and tragedy all on one canvas. I hope you can stay healthy with your new heart bypasses; my dad made it to 89 after three open hearts, first one came in the 1970's.

Well I can't believe it's a fantastic picture your son has created on the computer I assume I'm sorry to hear you had your inards puttered with! but at least you're up and walking in good shape please don't over do it. I too had some fantastic work done last year they cut off the lower part of my left leg. hey I'm just getting back into putting ships together well, trying to anyway but again fantastic picture your son sent you...just needs some sections of line fluttering in the wind.

Well I can't believe it's a fantastic picture your son has created on the computer I assume I'm sorry to hear you had your inards puttered with! but at least you're up and walking in good shape please don't over do it. I too had some fantastic work done last year they cut off the lower part of my left leg. hey I'm just getting back into putting ships together well, trying to anyway but again fantastic picture your son sent you...just needs some sections of line fluttering in the wind.
Crap! That sucks! I hope your future holds lots of enjoyable model building as well as any other creative pursuits you enjoy. And that your health and well-being are now on an even keel and will remain so.

Dear Ab

I was away from the forum for about 3 months and have only now read up on your heart surgery. I trust that the recovery will be speedy and as complete as is humanly possible.

With regards to ships in distress, I have always admired this painting:

De Sperwer.jpg

Dear Ab Hoving,
thank you for your literary and scientific work, for example in the "Logbuch" , besides all others. I hope you can continue this work in good healthiness. I wish you all the best!
Some years ago I found a painting of a ship's desaster on a flea market. There is no artist's signature, also the backside gives no further information. The dutch flag is shown upside down as the "Mayday"-call of the time. I wonder which town it is in the background with the impressive skyline, and which ship it could have been running aground in the first half of the 19th century.
best regards
Karl Ingwer

L1090994.JPG

Hello Karl Ingwer,

Thank you for your kind words about my work. It's all just lay-man's stuff I'm afraid.

That is a beautiful painting you purchased on a flea market. Nothing wrong with your taste!
But as you know I am not an art historian (I'm not even a historian, but that aside :)). Looking at 19th century paintings the first painters one thinks of are Koekkoek and Schotel, but neither of them would have made a picture in such an almost impressionistic style. It apparently shows a Navy ship and in that case a name as Heemskerck Van Beesd pops up, but he would have signed his painting without any doubt... The skyline of the village or town to the right does not ring a bell with me either, so I am afraid I cannot help you, apart from that I certainly advise you to keep this painting in good condition, because it is a real beauty! If I were you I would make an inquiry in one of our museums (Rijksmuseum Amsterdam or Maritime Museum Rotterdam). Perhaps there is an art historian with nautical interest who can help you out. The quality of the work certainly justifies such an action.

Good luck,
Ab

Hi Ab, Nice to see you working on ships again and your heald is going up. Somehow I missed the updates of you. But lucky I see this one and it is a nice piece of work and the possibility's of paper. I Like the upset of a wreckage, gives me Idea for my own project of the HZ.

Dear Ab,

I would like to express my unreserved agreement with your contribution of 31.12.2023. I have devoted many years of my life as a model maker to building such "ghosts", the 3D version of the underlying plans, so to speak. In doing so, I have always fallen short of my ideals and have created models that have not satisfied me in the long run. Of course, everyone has to be happy in their own way in their own workshop. Me, I have been trying for a few years to bring my models into the air and into life. I will publish some of my results so far in a post in the forum "Models made of plastic".

Unfortunately, I don't have such a wonderful collaboration with a son as a photographer to fall back on. I have to do everything on my own. That's why I place my models, which are standing in "water beds", in front of real clouds and sky and photograph them with my smartphone. Of course, the technology could still be improved.

Schmidt

Hello Mr Schmidt,
Thank you for your kind words about my scilly ideas about presenting ship models. It's easy for me to proclaim all sorts of overambitious ideas with a son in the background whose profession it is to make things look better than they are. Still, it is not only the tools that are used to get an inspiring result. The basic idea is to bring the model back in natural circumstances for a ship. Some people like it, some think it's a sort of kitsch. But I don't care. It's fun to do and that's what it's all about.
I like your thread and hope you will continue. And many more with you...

Back