Ship in trouble

Looking at the reactions on this threat (thank you all for your enthusiasm) I think we can draw the conclusion that the concept of building a ship model in an obvious situation catches on with more model builders. Of course making scenery models (either within or without a natural setting) is not a new idea. Still, many model builders reject the idea, because it seems to harm the neutral state in which they like a model to be depicted. Much to my regret too many models are displayed in such an inert state, often with furled sails and tidy, clean decks. Or the sails are hung in an unreal baggy way that does no right to the material they are made of. Although I admire the technical skills of the builders who succeed in creating such clean models (mostly because I am too sloppy a builder myself), I always feel a sort of pity looking at them. I miss the wear and tear, the effect of heavy weather and salt water and the direct impact of aging on the model. Nothing is as rewarding as bellowing sails in the wind (or loose hanging ones in a calm) and flags flapping in the breeze. They bring the model to live. In real life ships are tools, utensils, and often they are treated like that. They are battered and bruised, damaged and hurt, and not half as tidy as a model can suggest. Still model builders depict them like they are a sort of abstract ghosts. Such models may be beautiful objects, but for me the connection with reality is endlessly far away.
This scratches the surface of the reasons why we actually are building ship models. I want to emphasize that no way or method is 'wrong'. Everybody is free to do whatever he (or she) likes, but one of the reasons for me to publish a new book is the feeling that we can obtain more realism in our models by simply seeing ships as objects in 'a situation'.
You will read all about it in 'Dutch 17th Century Shipmodels in Paper', soon available at SeaWatchBooks.

Last edited:
They are not the same Mike.
Apart from all the other stuff and the eye candy, the tutorial is about a smalschip, the one I showed on the video up here, the second is a guide to build a complicated three-masted pinas.
I'm sure you will like it.

Looking at the reactions on this threat (thank you all for your enthusiasm) I think we can draw the conclusion that the concept of building a ship model in an obvious situation catches on with more model builders. Of course making scenery models (either within or without a natural setting) is not a new idea. Still, many model builders reject the idea, because it seems to harm the neutral state in which they like a model to be depicted. Much to my regret too many models are displayed in such an inert state, often with furled sails and tidy, clean decks. Or the sails are hung in an unreal baggy way that does no right to the material they are made of. Although I admire the technical skills of the builders who succeed in creating such clean models (mostly because I am too sloppy a builder myself), I always feel a sort of pity looking at them. I miss the wear and tear, the effect of heavy weather and salt water and the direct impact of aging on the model. Nothing is as rewarding as bellowing sails in the wind (or loose hanging ones in a calm) and flags flapping in the breeze. They bring the model to live. In real life ships are tools, utensils, and often they are treated like that. They are battered and bruised, damaged and hurt, and not half as tidy as a model can suggest. Still model builders depict them like they are a sort of abstract ghosts. Such models may be beautiful objects, but for me the connection with reality is endlessly far away.
This scratches the surface of the reasons why we actually are building ship models. I want to emphasize that no way or method is 'wrong'. Everybody is free to do whatever he (or she) likes, but one of the reasons for me to publish a new book is the feeling that we can obtain more realism in our models by simply seeing ships as objects in 'a situation'.
You will read all about it in 'Dutch 17th Century Shipmodels in Paper', soon available at SeaWatchBooks.
I can hardly wait to get a copy! I look forward to the artistic expression it will inspire and hopefully will inform my current projects and those going forward!
I hope the new year will bring you success with your book, modeling efforts and ongoing good health!

Pete

A very interesting idea - I am looking forward to see your combined work with your son

@Peter Gutterman: Thank you very much for your kind wishes. I hope to publish some inspiring stuff in future.
@Michael T: I'll keep you informed.
@Uwek: My son is a very busy man and I don't want to bother him with my requests. He is currently busy with creating a website dedicated to my father, who was a painter. I'm sure he will soon come up with some dramatic stuff concerning ships in trouble.
@Frank48: I am avoiding stress as much as I can and I am rather successful in it. I secretly suspect I have a very lazy character. :) Thank you for your kind wishes, I am doing quite well nowadays.

Wow, what a great project to occupy your recovery time. I’ve been fascinated by your creativity over the years and look forward to your posts on this project.

Jan

Version#2 just made the narrative even more cinematic and dramatic. I'm holding my breath for the guys in the boat!Redface

...also, another small observation. The boat is on the desk without tightening down and would most likely fall into the sea (unless there are stoppers???) What do you think, Ab?

Back