Santisima Trinidad - Occre Build Log [COMPLETED BUILD]

Re: OcCre Santisima Trinidad Build Log

<r><QUOTE author="CharlesEdward"><s>
CharlesEdward said:
</s>I wish I was, and Montanes is only one of six kits to complete planking on.... <e>
</e></QUOTE>

I could not imagine that - I think I would be reaching for some serious medication. I ordered more .50 rigging line from frontline hobbies (Australia) only ones that have it. The dark brown didn't quite match up to the dark brown that came with kit, so I had to color it a little more. Knowing that I am just taking the easy way route, I just got some "Folk Art" #462 Burnt Umber Acrylic paint - put a little on my fingers (hey - got to get messy with it). Then I just run the line through my fingers and let it soak in. While doing this I will add a little water to it. After it dries, its a little stiff, but then I grab the bees wax and give it several coats and I swear, you can't tell the difference.</r>

<t>I think Donnie is doing great on the Trinidad, he can think of building it as model building security for a while yet.</t>

<t>So Acrylic paint WILL work on rigging line I felt sure that it would not work well and want to crack and split. The water and the beeswax probably help a lot. I have also read on some forums, may MSW, that there is a brown or black beeswax available which is supposed to darken the rigging line also. Have you seen any of this colored beeswax in your shopping sprees? Anyway, yes serious medication seems to be appropriate with building six ships at once. However I am really concentrating on only the Montanes now.</t>

<t>If you all saw some of my lazy stunts, it would probably make you all cringe. I just colored another 20 foot long of line. This time, I ran water in the sink and unwound all the line into the water. Waited about 30 seconds, then I got the Admiral to take one end of the line and just start walking through the house as I put the paint in my hands and let the line run through my hands as she was walking away from me. Then we took the 20 foot line that was wet with water-paint and took it outside and laid in on top of the bushes and plants and let the sun dry it for about an hour. ---- well, it works. Then I coat it with wax. I have not found any darker wax.</t>

<t>Donnie, <br/>
Sometimes simple no-tech caveman type engineering works best.</t>

<t>Remarkably clean rigging-work Donnie, the shrouds look top-notch, thanks too for sharing your technique of rigging the lanyards, it's very neat</t>

<t>As always. Thanks to all for looking in and all the compliments. Well here is another set. I am FINALLY finished with the Mizzen Shroud-Ratline rigging. The pictures tell the story. Not much to say.</t>

Attachments

• mizzenmastshrouds16.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds16.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 109
  • mizzenmastshrouds17.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds17.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 106
  • mizzenmastshrouds18.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds18.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 103
  • mizzenmastshrouds19.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds19.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 101
  • mizzenmastshrouds20.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds20.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 99
  • mizzenmastshrouds21.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds21.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 107
  • mizzenmastshrouds22.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds22.jpg
    96.4 KB · Views: 112
  • mizzenmastshrouds24.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds24.jpg
    79.6 KB · Views: 118
  • mizzenmastshrouds23.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds23.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 116
  • mizzenmastshrouds25.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds25.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 115
  • mizzenmastshrouds26.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds26.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 112
  • mizzenmastshrouds28.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds28.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 113
  • mizzenmastshrouds27.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds27.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 112
  • mizzenmastshrouds29.jpg
    mizzenmastshrouds29.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 113

<t>Yes I will echo Gary.....looking sharp.</t>

<t>Great job on the rigging! I hope when I get the Sultana to the rigging stage I can do as well.</t>

<t>You guys are embarrassing me with all these compliments !!! Thank you any ways !!</t>

<t>Thanks again to all for looking in. Here is the latest. I finally got the Shrouds done for the lower Main Mast. Then on to the tops shrouds. Then ratlines will follow. Just took some pictures of different angles.</t>

Attachments

• mainmastshrouds02.jpg
    mainmastshrouds02.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 86
  • mainmastshrouds01.jpg
    mainmastshrouds01.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 90
  • mainmastshrouds03.jpg
    mainmastshrouds03.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 93
  • mainmastshrouds04.jpg
    mainmastshrouds04.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 97
  • mainmastshrouds05.jpg
    mainmastshrouds05.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 106
  • mainmastshrouds06.jpg
    mainmastshrouds06.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 99

<t>Thanks to all for looking it and the nice compliments. No - I am afraid that I am not counting the knots !! I can tell you that my hands are very stiff a while once I stop. I am now moving on to the upper portion. I will be so glad that when I am done with this part. I want to move on to the stays.</t>

<t>Knot Counters in model ship building... I wondered if there was an equivalent to the Rivet Counters in model railroading. I'm definitely not that type, I'm just happy if something I'm making turns out well enough to suit me.</t>

<t>Hi Donnie,<br/>
You're doing some very neat rigging work there my friend, those shrouds and ratlines look really sweet!</t>

<t>It seems like it has been forever (actually almost 4 months) since I worked on the Trindad. I know that you all were looking forward to some pics. Well, not just yet. I need to get back to it. There has been just too many things getting in the way. My mind has not been settled enough to concentrate on it. I need to re focus myself and work on it this weekend. I have to tell the Admiral to reduce the "honey do list". Just check back over the weekend and I should have a report. Crossing my fingers.</t>

<t>For all of us, life seems to get in the way of our plans and desires. We understand and know you will do what you can. Hope for a productive weekend.</t>

<t>I have finally reached a milestone ! Thank goodness I have got my shrouds and ratlines done for the Fore, Main, and Mizzen Mast. I realize that there are the mast backstays, but I am not going to do this part now. I am going to have to move onto the Bowsprit as I plan to rig up the fore and aft mast stays. Between work, computer crashes, and other things (life), I have pushed myself over this great wall to get this part done. Sorry that it has taken this long. The SOS website also reflects this change.<br/>
PS: Seems like my pictures are not the best as some seem kind of duplicated. Oh well.</t>

Attachments

• mainmastshrouds06.jpg
    mainmastshrouds06.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 97
  • mainmastshrouds08.jpg
    mainmastshrouds08.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 96
  • mainmastshrouds07.jpg
    mainmastshrouds07.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 96
  • mainmastshrouds10.jpg
    mainmastshrouds10.jpg