Santa Maria produced by Pavel Nikitin

Good morning all from Spring, TX

I need some help / suggestions. The part numbers etched into the deck planks need to be removed, However the amount of sanding required to remove them completely will reduce the thickness of the plank. And unless etching is completely removed they will show through whatever stain I use. I've already dealt with this on the keel and stem. These those parts are much thicker and the sanding didn't have any negative consequence. Thank you.View attachment 412325View attachment 412326
you have a mirrored planking deck, so turn the planks by 180° upside down and your laser etched marks are not visible any more

do you have a drawing showing the decks - a top view of the decks?

so it means that you showed the undersight of the planking where the laser marks are visible, or? Please check it

Thank Uwek. It did occur to me but I thought that was too simple. Yes I do have the plans. I’ll do that tonight after I get off work.
Thanks again

Craig. I have the Pavel Nikitin paint set. I won't be needing it for a long time. I can send it to you and you can replace it back to me later.

Thank everyone for their advice/suggestions. For the most part flipping the plank over and moving them to the opposite side works. However not all of them! On the aft deck and upper deck there are laser cit holes for posts or stairs that cannot be mover from one side to the other. That’s not an issue on the main deck. I really don’t want try to sand those out. Perhaps a folder?

Craig. I have the Pavel Nikitin paint set. I won't be needing it for a long time. I can send it to you and you can replace it back to me later.
Lakedaisy, thanks for the offer. I’ve decided to use a stain from Natural Finishes. I can go dark gradually and put on a their Hard Wax Oil which can be buffed to a satin finish

I'm ready to begin planking the Santa Maria but I have a problem. Looking at the instructions the illustrations seem to imply that for the first planksIMG_1255.jpegIMG_1256.jpegIMG_1257.jpeg there are two pieces in beech and two in mahogany for each side of the ship. The mahogany sits on top of the beech. But if I do that it seems that this one plank when all four pieces are glued together will make the piece sit too proud of the planks that will be above and below this piece. I've attached photos. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. This piece will sit in a notch in the bulkheads from stem to stern.

I'm ready to begin planking the Santa Maria but I have a problem. Looking at the instructions the illustrations seem to imply that for the first planksView attachment 413681View attachment 413682View attachment 413683 there are two pieces in beech and two in mahogany for each side of the ship. The mahogany sits on top of the beech. But if I do that it seems that this one plank when all four pieces are glued together will make the piece sit too proud of the planks that will be above and below this piece. I've attached photos. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated. This piece will sit in a notch in the bulkheads from stem to stern.
This is something called a wale. It should sit proud of the rest of the planks. Here is a picture of the Vasa which shows this construction clearly (a bunch of wales on the Vasa...):

Stockholm-180323_9024.jpg

A real wale is not layered - it's just a thicker plank. The layering is an accommodation for the model.

I hope this is what you were referring to and this post has been helpful!

Last edited:
This is something called a wale. It should sit proud of the rest of the planks. Here is a picture of the Vasa which shows this construction clearly (a bunch of wales on the Vasa...):

View attachment 413767

I real wale is not layered - it's just a thicker plank. The layering is an accommodation for the model.

I hope this is what you were referring to and this post has been helpful!
Thank for you reply Dockattner. I understand the wales sitting proud of the other planks. My concern was that the kit provides four planks for the wales and that this would cause this to sit too high. Thanks again

Back