San Francisco AL build log

You could buy and build another Master Korabel boat kit which is narrower. I also used a MK kit and had to choose one in which I could keep the hull size but change the number of thwarts and other small details to change the scale a bit.

As to the scale of the SF II model, you may look at the sailor figures in the kit and check to see if they are actually 1:72 or different.

121 Pinnace Complete.jpg

Good morning Miguel. The metal cast must go for sure. The new MK one is superb - really. The scale is out as you said - if you are not in the frame of mind to attempt a scratch build boat to scale, then I would definitely stick with the MK. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant! yeah I certainly don't like that the MK is out of scale but it looks so much better than the metal cast! Also as much as I'd like to be able to scratch build my skills aren't there yet. Especially considering how many pieces the MK had I dont think I'd be able to replicate such high quality. I think I'll stick with the MK.

You could buy and build another Master Korabel boat kit which is narrower. I also used a MK kit and had to choose one in which I could keep the hull size but change the number of thwarts and other small details to change the scale a bit.

As to the scale of the SF II model, you may look at the sailor figures in the kit and check to see if they are actually 1:72 or different.

View attachment 329275

Thanks for the insights Kurt. So my SF is the old version so it doesn't have the sailor figures but it does seem to be the same size as the newer version of the SF so maybe someone else who has built the newer version can tell us. Anyways I think it will turn out looking really nice.

Thanks for the insights Kurt. So my SF is the old version so it doesn't have the sailor figures but it does seem to be the same size as the newer version of the SF so maybe someone else who has built the newer version can tell us. Anyways I think it will turn out looking really nice.
Both the old SF and SF II are the same model, except the old one has only one layer of hull planking. The new one has two layers, the forming layer and finishing layer, which is easier to get the shape smooth and remove any gaps between planks, and is easier for beginners. Both models look good. I have the new SF II in a box unbuilt and can measure the figures if you need the measurements.

Both the old SF and SF II are the same model, except the old one has only one layer of hull planking. The new one has two layers, the forming layer and finishing layer, which is easier to get the shape smooth and remove any gaps between planks, and is easier for beginners. Both models look good. I have the new SF II in a box unbuilt and can measure the figures if you need the measurements.
I guess I must have SF 1.5 then, because I downloaded the SFII manual from AL (to have some reference and more complete instuctions than the printed manual that came in the box) and it's definitiely quite different than the SF I have . However, mine is also a two layered hull planking but looks a lot more similar to the old SF.

Another quick update since I've been quite inspired applying some matte nitrocellulose lacquer. I'm liking the result. I'm debating with myself whether I should sand the hull tomorrow with a 400 grit to take away some of the gloss or should I just leave it like it is right now. Any suggestions/opinions? Thanks friends. 20221018_232923.jpg20221018_232911.jpg20221018_232854.jpg20221018_232844.jpg20221018_232836.jpg

Very Nice! My SF build was put on hold for several months but have slowly returned. I was tempted to cut out the lower row of gun ports but quickly decided against creating a disaster. Instead I ground down the metal ports so they will lay flush on the hull later on in the build. I'm currently working on the masts and tying the shrouds around the fore and main mast doublings in their crows nests and down through a pair of cut out lubber holes before glueing everything together. I followed Olha's method for tying the shrouds in her Ragusian Carrack video.

Very Nice! My SF build was put on hold for several months but have slowly returned. I was tempted to cut out the lower row of gun ports but quickly decided against creating a disaster. Instead I ground down the metal ports so they will lay flush on the hull later on in the build. I'm currently working on the masts and tying the shrouds around the fore and main mast doublings in their crows nests and down through a pair of cut out lubber holes before glueing everything together. I followed Olha's method for tying the shrouds in her Ragusian Carrack video.
That's some good advice! I've been postponing just that because I wasn't sure of how to do the lower row without making a mess as well. How did that go with yours? I may try doing it as well.

Anything that might break off probably will. Like I said they'll be one of the last things positioned and glued further down the build. The same goes for the stern balcony which I'm having a difficult time dry fitting and will not be glued until later. Same goes for the bowsprit. My progress is slowly proceeding.

Anything that might break off probably will. Like I said they'll be one of the last things positioned and glued further down the build. The same goes for the stern balcony which I'm having a difficult time dry fitting and will not be glued until later. Same goes for the bowsprit. My progress is slowly proceeding.
Slow + Steady = Quality

Back