San Francisco AL build log

Looking great so far. Keep your seams tight and fill gaps with a mixture of PVA glue and mahogany sawdust, because the final planking makes a great impression if you take the time to make it the best you can. A very light sanding and application of varnish or Danish oil will make that hull as smooth as glass.
Thank you! That's a great tip! I'll sure do that. I had not thought of doing that pva + sawdust mixture. Do you recommend making the mixture now for all the glueing or just to fill in the gaps after I'm done with the planking and before I sand?

Thank you! That's a great tip! I'll sure do that. I had not thought of doing that pva + sawdust mixture. Do you recommend making the mixture now for all the glueing or just to fill in the gaps after I'm done with the planking and before I sand?
First you have to make some sawdust. I save some sawdust from many projects in small bags, some cherry wood, some walnut, some maple, and other hardwoods and match the sawdust to the wood you are working with. Use the mixture only for filling gaps. It dried fast, so work fast. Use the flat side of a dull knife to push the sawdust/glue into the gaps, and remove excess around the gap as much as possible to save some cleanup work later after it dries. You let it dry, and it will not look good, but wait until you carefully sand the excess off. The results are amazing. The gaps disappear. This is probably the oldest method to fill gaps in carpentry and models.

Last edited:
Thank you! I did like quite a bit hoe the curvature came to be. Now I'm doing the second planking and it's been a bit tricky to follow the lines I plan to do but I guess it's not too bad until now. It is quite slower than I was hoping for but I guess it's all about practice. View attachment 321481View attachment 321482View attachment 321483View attachment 321484View attachment 321485View attachment 321486
Well done, it's all smooth sailing from here the hard part is done.Thumbsup

Hi friends. Small update here. I've been busy/tired to get much progress donde this week but some has been made. I don't know if it's my inexperience or just a different perception but I'm finding the second planking quite more challenging than the first planking (probably because I'm a lot more conscious about the finish than in the first planking. Anyways. Here a photo of the progress I made this week. 20220811_014152.jpg

Hi friends. Small update here. I've been busy/tired to get much progress donde this week but some has been made. I don't know if it's my inexperience or just a different perception but I'm finding the second planking quite more challenging than the first planking (probably because I'm a lot more conscious about the finish than in the first planking. Anyways. Here a photo of the progress I made this week. View attachment 322868
Good evening Miguel . Looking good. Cheers Grant

Hi guys! So I decided to start this build log of the San Francisco from Artesania Latina (the old version not the new one). This is my first build ever, so any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Anyways I started this build exactly one month ago and started watching threads here in SOS and decided to try this build log.

Anyways this is my progress so far.
Hallo @miguel92gom
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Looks fantastic! Usually you plank both sides to keep the planks looking symmetrical with regard to the plank lines. You may find it harder to do this by planking one side, and then the other because the spiling of each plank is hard to match.

Looks fantastic! Usually you plank both sides to keep the planks looking symmetrical with regard to the plank lines. You may find it harder to do this by planking one side, and then the other because the spiling of each plank is hard to match.
Thanks Kurt I also like how it's looking although theres plenty of room for improvement! What you say about planking bith sides at the same time makes a lot of sense I guess I'll have to keep that in mind for the next ship I build as now it's a bit late hopefully it won't be all crooked when I plank the other side but well it's all about learning and getting more experienced this time. Also thanks a lot for the tips I really appreciate it.

Thanks Kurt I also like how it's looking although theres plenty of room for improvement! What you say about planking bith sides at the same time makes a lot of sense I guess I'll have to keep that in mind for the next ship I build as now it's a bit late hopefully it won't be all crooked when I plank the other side but well it's all about learning and getting more experienced this time. Also thanks a lot for the tips I really appreciate it.
I think if you go slow and occasionally measure the location and width of planks on your finished side, you can replicate it very closely on the other side. Just trying to save you some effort. You build is going beautifully so far. Watching your build with interest. SF II is the perfect skill building ship to start with.

Last edited:
I think if you so slow and occasionally measure the location and width of planks on your finished side, you can replicate it very closely on the other side. Just trying to save you some effort. You build is going beautifully so far. Watching your build with interest. SF II is the perfect skill building ship to start with.
Will do. I appreciate it! Thanks

Good morning Miguel. Your planking of the starboard side looks fantastic. Well done. I agree with Kurt, it is better to plank the starboard and port side simultaneously however with patience you will be able to get the port side symmetrical and complete an outstanding planking of your San Francisco. Enjoy it. Cheers Grant

Good morning Miguel. Your planking of the starboard side looks fantastic. Well done. I agree with Kurt, it is better to plank the starboard and port side simultaneously however with patience you will be able to get the port side symmetrical and complete an outstanding planking of your San Francisco. Enjoy it. Cheers Grant
Thanks Grant!! If I get to plank the San Francisco half as nice as your Victory I'll be really happy.

Hi friends! Just a small update here. I still haven't started working on the other side of the planking yet but I did complete the small boat. I got a master korabel 95mm boat as it was roughly the same length as the cast metal one that came with the kit and I think it is a big big upgrade. Although it's not the same scale (the SF is 1:90 and the boat 1:72) so it looks a bit too wide in comparison to the kit's boat. Maybe you guys can give me you opinion on whether I should stick with the MK or the cast metal kit boat and try to make it look nicer. Or if anyone knows of a kit maker than has boats in scale 1:100 or ideally 1:90 it would be great. 20220918_233613.jpg20220918_233631.jpg20220918_233642.jpg

Oh also I was wondering of anyone has any info on how accurate the scale of the San Francisco might be. I was searching for info on the galleon and found in Wikipedia that it was 35m in length which scaled to 1:90 it should be roughly 39cm but the box states its supposed to be 52cm which would be a lot closer to scale 1:72. So I'm a bit confused. Is it a problem with the scale or do you think it's just a non rigorous interpretation of the shape and length of the galleon by Artesania Latina?

Anyways I'm just a noob and don't know much (if anything) about ships or their history so I might be completely missing the point. So any opinions will be very helpful in my learning curve of this very interesting topic that we all share in this site.

Screenshot_20220918-235114_Firefox.jpg

Hi friends! Just a small update here. I still haven't started working on the other side of the planking yet but I did complete the small boat. I got a master korabel 95mm boat as it was roughly the same length as the cast metal one that came with the kit and I think it is a big big upgrade. Although it's not the same scale (the SF is 1:90 and the boat 1:72) so it looks a bit too wide in comparison to the kit's boat. Maybe you guys can give me you opinion on whether I should stick with the MK or the cast metal kit boat and try to make it look nicer. Or if anyone knows of a kit maker than has boats in scale 1:100 or ideally 1:90 it would be great. View attachment 329265View attachment 329266View attachment 329267
Good morning Miguel. The metal cast must go for sure. The new MK one is superb - really. The scale is out as you said - if you are not in the frame of mind to attempt a scratch build boat to scale, then I would definitely stick with the MK. Cheers Grant

Back