Roter Löwe - Red Lion - Mamoli 1:55 - Restoration by Valmiki [COMPLETED BUILD]

Thank you @Uwek for your kind words and thank you all guys for all the likes. This is my first log and had not experienced before this kind response. Really appreciate it. The only thing I am sorry about is that I met this forum at the end of my projects. I am sure it would have been much more exciting to share this work day by day. Next time guys.

Yes @Uwek, this in fact is my second ship. And while I learned a lot on my first one, I noticed that I kept changing some approaches also on this one. So it is a work in progress for my skills. I reckon that I had more fun on this even though it was only a restoration because I couldn't find all the parts that I needed, hence I had to make them and find out how to make them in the process ... loved it. If I had the finances I think I would love much more building a ship from scratch rather than assemble a kit but except for a small hand drill I am doing everything by hand, not an easy tasks with these tiny parts. Also I guess I would need to buy some books to see more in detail the original details and try to imitate them as best as possible.
I am sure in the future the occasion will rise. Meanwhile I want to finish this project and the other ship that I will about soon enough.

Thank you all.

You'll note that I gave your project a lot of love. I have a lot of experience with restoration, historic period antique furniture and ship models. I have worked on models in the U.S. Naval Academy Museum collection. All in all over forty years in. So, from what I see, your abilities far exceed your own appreciation of them. Don't sell yourself short. If you are, indeed, a beginner you are practically a savant! My hat is off to you sir. Wonderful and exceptional work! Thumbsup

Pete

Last edited:
Great job! Good skills! Your personal additions make this ship both your Dad's and Yours. He must be very proud.
Thank you so much Mister CA for your kind words.
In fact, it feels like if we are sharing this project. I guess now it is both his and mine :)
About being proud, I am sure he is but because we live so far away from each other, so far he saw only the pictures that I am posting here. He is very happy about the progresses, that I can tell, and he is looking forward to Xmas, when I will take the ship back to him.

For a guy who is "not sure" you absolutely have done a really great job restoring this model. It looks great. I'm sure your father will be very proud of the ships repair and your efforts to do it right. Pete.
Hello Pete.
I am just starting to understand in these last few posts that maybe my work is not as bad as I thought ... and that maybe the not-sure-guy should stop showing up from now on :D
I really have to start embracing my accomplishments and stop focusing on the mistakes.
I am sure my Dad will be very proud.
Thank you for your words.

You'll note that I gave your project a lot of love. I have a lot of experience with restoration, historic period antique furniture and ship models. I have worked on models in the U.S. Naval Academy Museum collection. All in all over forty years in. So, from what I see your abilities far exceed your own appreciation of them. Don't sell yourself short. If you are, indeed, a beginner you are practically a savant! My hat is off to you sir. Wonderful and exceptional work! Thumbsup

Pete
Thank you too Pete. I did see all the love you gave this project and I appreciate it a lot.
Trust me, I really have no idea what my skills are. This is my second project (I will write a log about my first one soon) and the first time that I face critics from other modelers (which so far are exceeding my expectations). So I am not trying to seem too humble or as you well put it, "selling myself short". Is just that I have no idea at what level I am and how to correctly judge my work. This is why the last few posts are such an illumination for me and give me great joy in knowing that I am going in the right direction and there is so much appreciation for what I have done so far.
Thank you again.

And completing the day with the last steps done so far...

115.jpg

116.jpg

Last 2 shrouds almost completed on the mizzen mast: one done, one almost there.

105b.jpg

Made the last touches to the mainmast. This is done now.

Last edited:
One request from my father and probably the cause of the incident with the ship in the first place....

117.jpg

It was a bit difficult to find but in the end I opted for computer parts.
I fixed 2 knurled nuts in the keel and put 2 screws through the ship's stand.
The base is now proportionate to the ship and it shouldn't happen that it falls again ... but better safe than sorry :D.
This baby won't move from its base now.

Based on all your pictures capturing the journey of this “restoration”, the praise you’ve received is certainly deserved. I’m jealous!

Based on all your pictures capturing the journey of this “restoration”, the praise you’ve received is certainly deserved. I’m jealous!
Thank you for your words Drobbs.
Don't be jealous but instead start creating your log and let's grow together with our skills.
I am sure that time and patience will give us great results.
:)

Back