Roter Löwe 1597 by Ondras71 - scala 1/60

I continue on the work boat. Bending workshop..Explosion

View attachment 419417

According to the paper templates, I create more rows of boards, the edges highlighted with graphite..

View attachment 419415

The third row already has an extreme side bend. After a good soaking, the 0.8x3.5 mm strips can be bent well, just persistence. Step one - side bend..Sleep

View attachment 419416

View attachment 419418

Step 2 - after drying, bend into the shape of the torso, then fit.. I will save material against carving from wood plates..

View attachment 419419

View attachment 419420

The last part, closing the bottom. Too small, the bottom will not be visible, I helped myself by assembling the moldings from two parts. Otherwise, it would not be possible to do it well.. o_O

View attachment 419422

View attachment 419421
Hi Ondras, just so you know, the center frames the configuration is reversed as shown in the picture. Frank

druhá řada prken (3).JPG

Hi Ondras, just so you know, the center frames the configuration is reversed as shown in the picture. Frank

View attachment 419450
Hello Frank. You probably built a different boat, I'm building mine according to the Zeehaen plan from Ab Hoving's book. I have already shown the plan, the ribs are according to it. Thanks for the response. Ondras

první prkno boku člunu (3).JPG

Many thanks for showing us the detail with the card-board templates - keep them and do not through them away - maybe you need them once for a second boat
Very good work
BTW: I guess, knowing Ab Hoving, the plans are correct

Hi Ondras71, Thanks for replying but , I am not so convinced that the structure is so.Frank
Many thanks for showing us the detail with the card-board templates - keep them and do not through them away - maybe you need them once for a second boat
Very good work
BTW: I guess, knowing Ab Hoving, the plans are correct
Again I salute and repeat the words of Uwek.Thumbsup Who else to trust in the quality of the plan than Ab Hoving.NewsGold Star

Another milestone behind me, the body of the boat finished, sanded and cut from the hoof with a razor saw..Explosion

odříznutí žeber trupu (1).JPG

odříznutí žeber trupu (2).JPG

Again I used the option of dispersion glue. The sunken place on the bow after removal is wetted and pushed from the inside into the correct place..o_O

místo k opravě.JPG

oprava - namočení.JPG

oprava - vymáčknutí.JPG

A preview of the boat on the ship's deck..Birthday-Cake

náhled člunu na lodi (1).JPG

náhled člunu na lodi (3).JPG

náhled člunu na lodi (2).JPG

náhled člunu na lodi (5).JPG

náhled člunu na lodi (4).JPG

Now clean the ribs and arrange..Explosion

Again I salute and repeat the words of Uwek.Thumbsup Who else to trust in the quality of the plan than Ab Hoving.NewsGold Star
Sorry Ondras71,I did not question or offend anyone or Mr. Ab Hoving , it is useless for you to remark things.Rest assured that I will not put any more eyes on YOUR works.Frank

Sorry Ondras71,I did not question or offend anyone or Mr. Ab Hoving , it is useless for you to remark things.Rest assured that I will not put any more eyes on YOUR works.Frank
You could be right about this point, looking to the original plans of a chaloup. @Heinrich got plans from @Ab Hoving that show this too. Look here
Post in thread 'HIGH HOPES, WILD MEN AND THE DEVIL’S JAW - Willem Barentsz Kolderstok 1:50' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...lem-barentsz-kolderstok-1-50.8662/post-233908
Maybe both ways are correct, I don't know.

Beautiful work @Ondras71 , my compliments.

And about the correctness of my nowadays drawings: there are always reasons for doubts. @Frank48 may be right about the frames. Who knows. I based the drawings on Witsen's book and he is supposed to be right.... I hope.

View attachment 420142

Best,
Ab
Hi Ab Hoving, I thank You for Your precission, believe me,I never questioned Your work but only made my own observation.I also have the book You mentioned. Fran

No problem @Frank48, actually you should question everything I say or do, I only try to use the historical sources as good as I can. Believe me, if trying to make useful drawings for our hobby, you run into question marks time after time and you have to try to solve them without much more than the available wisdom and ignorance. Sometimes you are right, sometimes you are not.
I understand why you made the remark about the frames. Indeed the futtocks are usually on the front side of the floor in the fore part of the ship and on the aft side in the aft part. I don't know why it is not the case here. Perhaps Witsen was not aware...

Sorry @Ondras71 for high-jacking your thread.

No problem @Frank48, actually you should question everything I say or do, I only try to use the historical sources as good as I can. Believe me, if trying to make useful drawings for our hobby, you run into question marks time after time and you have to try to solve them without much more than the available wisdom and ignorance. Sometimes you are right, sometimes you are not.
I understand why you made the remark about the frames. Indeed the futtocks are usually on the front side of the floor in the fore part of the ship and on the aft side in the aft part. I don't know why it is not the case here. Perhaps Witsen was not aware...

Sorry @Ondras71 for high-jacking your thread.
Hi Ab Hoving, very right Your analysis that common sense and respect for people should always prevail, Thank you for responding to me,Frank

Hi Ab Hoving, very right Your analysis that common sense and respect for people should always prevail, Thank you for responding to me,Frank
An interesting and informative debate, such are needed. I'm building a competition model, I try to stick to the plan as long as it's good quality!! :)

Last edited:
Back