Rope Walk (here we go again)

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Many, if not hundreds of post made on this one subject - and as I have done research and knowledge about products such as Dominoff - well, here we go again with the most (I think) fully mysterious element of ship modeling. Of all the things that there is about ship modeling, this to me has to be the most frustrating and overlooked element.
Including myself, (if buying a kit) is to use what is given.
But, in the art of scratch building, one must pursue this at some point if they intend to bring their model up to the next level of advanced appeal. Which brings me to the age-old concerns and questions.

I want to build my own fully motorized Rope Walk and wish there was a set of plans that I can just build - I am not in the mood of experimenting endlessly to find just the right combination of motors / speeds / weights / this and that. I just want a canned approach. I prefer not to buy Dominoff - I know his forever RopeWalk is an artwork in itself and yes, I would love to purchase one.

But, barring that, isn't there someone out there that has built a successful Ropewalk that has plans and is guaranteed to work. The space that I have is only about 12 feet in length. I tried building the kind that hangs from the ceiling and it was a disaster.

Also, I visited Olha Workshop videos of where she built her own. However, many details of what parts and pieces were used to construct the device are not shared openly. The type of motors, power supply, the hooks, and where they were bought. How much weight at the end that supplies tension to the truck as it makes its way toward the main motor unit. All, these questions I have.

So, I just open this topic and perhaps if someone has a sucessful ropewalk they have, then please share it with the materials and design. No manual cranks please.

G'day all
I got a motorised/electronic rope making machine from ZHL.
I haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it looks great with many features including a digital readout, and reversals winding. This way a right or a left turn rope can be processed. SmartSelect_20201129-183237_Chrome.jpg
The main spool has 6 intakes which you control via an electronic speed control.
SmartSelect_20201129-183151_Chrome.jpg
As you can see on the next photo, there are 6 bobbins.
SmartSelect_20201129-183141_Chrome.jpg
And finally the take-up spool again the speed is also contralble.
SmartSelect_20201129-183131_Chrome.jpg
As I have said earlier? I have not had the chance to use it as yet, but with the digital readings, you should be able to dial in the same reading for the next session and the ropes should all be uniform.
This I have to check, but I can't see why not.
Happymodeling to all.
Greg

I am a stubborn fan of the rope climb, the vertical arrangement. I made my first one using the 3 headed Phillips shawer which served me well for years. As I should've replace it it turned out that the new cheap shaver heads had smaller motors and they were not strong enough to make any rope above about 1mm diameter. So I bought Domanoff's simplest machine and I have been using it for 2 years or so. It is working and I stick to it. However if I had to buy one today I would buy Domanoffs latest planetary arrangement.
János

I ran into this "Mostly Printed Continuous Ropewalk - for Scale Ship Model Builders" recently. The STL files for printing are included in the link alnog with a BOM. The author is not currently a modeller, but designed it for a competition on Instructables.

I made this one some time back. I converted it to continuous was a simple process and it works perfectly 20201129_050023.jpg20201129_050011.jpg
20201129_115316.jpgThe only issue is both hands are involved one to wind the machine the other for the guide. so I have to get the Admiral to wind the rope on a spool as it pays out. I'm working on a guide plate to sit in front of the winder mounted permanently ,so I can use my other hand to wind the rope on the spool myself. I've seen the one Jeff posted I have printed the parts for it a month ago just need to decide on a motor the one given in the plans is to slow IMO

Thanks for the response so far. I do not remember seeing the one from ZHL.

I built one that hangs from ceiling using the assembly from electric shaver and I could only get it to work for very small line. Plus, other problems with it, I just gave up on it. LOL.

Thanks for the response so far. I do not remember seeing the one from ZHL.

I built one that hangs from ceiling using the assembly from electric shaver and I could only get it to work for very small line. Plus, other problems with it, I just gave up on it. LOL.
The ZHL offering looks real nice. Maybe we can get a link to it

This one looks quite interesting.

Yes it is i think the remote is cool. it would be easy to make a system with a remote on off you can buy little RF systems with a remote transmitter and receiver for as little as $10. I have programing experience and I work with PIC and ATMEL chips for RC planes I build. Arduino is another good system and it's much easier then writing C+ code to a chip, in fact there are thousands if programs already written so you can find what suits your needs and download all the code right into the controller and onto the chip. The Arduino system is module based so you can add auto shut off sensors, reverse winding, digital readout for lengths of rope skys the limit really.

I like the ZHL design but I think I can build that whole system for around $100 using Arduino with a few more features. I'm not a big fan or wood gears Especially plywood gears, plastic really isn't much better. So I have to look around and see if I can find some metal planetary gear sets that will be the hardest part but im sure something exists that can be used. I'd like to be able to spin 4 strands. If I get some time this week I'll see what I can dig up. For now the system I have works just fine

Yes it is i think the remote is cool. it would be easy to make a system with a remote on off you can buy little RF systems with a remote transmitter and receiver for as little as $10. I have programing experience and I work with PIC and ATMEL chips for RC planes I build. Arduino is another good system and it's much easier then writing C+ code to a chip, in fact there are thousands if programs already written so you can find what suits your needs and download all the code right into the controller and onto the chip. The Arduino system is module based so you can add auto shut off sensors, reverse winding, digital readout for lengths of rope skys the limit really.

I like the ZHL design but I think I can build that whole system for around $100 using Arduino with a few more features. I'm not a big fan or wood gears Especially plywood gears, plastic really isn't much better. So I have to look around and see if I can find some metal planetary gear sets that will be the hardest part but im sure something exists that can be used. I'd like to be able to spin 4 strands. If I get some time this week I'll see what I can dig up. For now the system I have works just fine
This kit has not got and plywood or plastic gears. All the gear are very solid and strong metal one....top quality.
20201201_144109.jpgHappymodeling
Greg

This kit has not got and plywood or plastic gears. All the gear are very solid and strong metal one....top quality.
View attachment 196373Happymodeling
Greg
Nice the pictures on the site they looked like plastic well least I know a small metal planetary gear set exists now I have to find some and see if I could use them. I'M a DIY type, metal gears are a must. the plastic ones on my walk work but they will fail much faster. yeah I can just reprint it but its a large print that takes a long time. I just need to build a good one and be done with it. I'll see what I can put together while I build Constellation, but right now Constellation is all I can handle, just don't have the energy but it is getting better.

Dear Donnie, A good source book for do-it-yourself fans is Gerald Wingrove's book: The Techniques of Ship Modelling, MAP pub. 1974. It's a mine of useful information since the author believes in building everything himself. Pp. 95-100 are the most relevant regarding rope making.
Regards, William

Back