Rope Walk (here we go again)

Dear Donnie, A good source book for do-it-yourself fans is Gerald Wingrove's book: The Techniques of Ship Modelling, MAP pub. 1974. It's a mine of useful information since the author believes in building everything himself. Pp. 95-100 are the most relevant regarding rope making.
Regards, William
Hi Donnie--

Here's another "ancient" source on how to build your own machine. It's got some useful tips on what a machine needs to do.

Attachments

• Ropewalk-compressed.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 103
Thank you all for the great responses. I will look into all these options! I will also look into buying the book as it seems useful as well and probably has other tips and resources.

Donald

Do you have a reference for the publication that you showed?
Hi Jeff--The pages are from a wonderful book called Ship Modeller's Shop Notes, edited by Merritt Edson and published by The Nautical Research Guild, 1979. It's basically a pre-internet compilation of short articles/commentary by modellers and covers all sorts of topics from your work table to rigging and timber. I've found it has lots of useful tips--very much like the forums here. Worth a look if you can find it. Good luck. --Tom

Model Expo has a really simple rope walk kit...I mean simple. “MODEL SHIPWAYS ROPE WALK SCALE ROPE MAKING TOOL” on sale right now. It will make three strand rope as long as you have room to clamp the two end pieces. Might work for anyone looking for a simple tool for scale rope making.

Thanks JIm,
I am looking into all options.

Model Expo has a really simple rope walk kit...I mean simple. “MODEL SHIPWAYS ROPE WALK SCALE ROPE MAKING TOOL” on sale right now. It will make three strand rope as long as you have room to clamp the two end pieces. Might work for anyone looking for a simple tool for scale rope making.

The Model Expo version is a less expensive version of the Syren Rope Rocket. I use the Model Expo version, but it needs to be revised some to use adequately. For example, instead of one of the broken handles, mine has a bait casting reel handle on it now.

Last edited:
thank you again Winston for your everlasting resources. I read some of that MSBJ and I can say that that is a lot of work. You must be using a professional publishing software other than a wordprocessor like 'word' or something.

Back