Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

1195.jpg
Building the railing for the very after deck, I laminated some pear wood horizontally and vertically,

1196.jpg
glued the pattern to it with rubber cement and trimmed to fit the pattern,

1197.jpg
I then roughed out the arches with 10mm milling bit and finished them with a small drum sander in my dremel,

1198.jpg
for the arches I wound some copper wire around a dowell of suitable size,

1199.jpg
the roll of wire free from the dowell,

1200.jpg
then i cut them in half and sanded the ends so they were all more or less the same size, continued in the next post,

best regards john,

1201.jpg
to make sure of a nice solid connection i glued a base strip across the bottom of the arches, and a rail across the top,

1202.jpg
then i glued on the arch pieces,

1203.jpg
and also the rest of the decoration, the ends of the rails have to be trimmed to size,

1204.jpg
just showing where the rail will sit,

1205.jpg
and after a coat of black paint, the copper wire pieces will be gilded and also some red added to different places,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John.

1206.jpg
installing the grating between the gallows and the quarter deck,

1207.jpg
I glued the back end of the grating onto a small ledge i glued under the quarter deck beam and I glued three dowells through the gallows into the front of the grating piece,

1208.jpg
and a couple of views of the front rails glued in place, I couldn't resist adding a little bit of Ginger Bread, and I can see where I have missed some varnish on the planking,

1209.jpg

best regards john,

Thanks guy's for all the likes and the comments, well it was my turn this week, I started with a chest infection last Tuesday and it gradually got worse till I had to be taken into Hospital at 6am Tuesday morning, they kept me in for the day, ran all the tests and ended up letting me go with some anti biotics, but the best bit is that on Thursday it was our 55th Anniversary, so I certainly stuffed that up, so we will go out for lunch when Im feeling better, I'm not too bad during the day it is at night time when I take bad, should be better by the end of this week, well thats my rant for the day, hope yours have been a lot better,

best regards john.

Just a few catch up pics before I was ill,

1210.jpg
Constructing the rails for the fore part of the quarter deck, I built them the same way as the rails on the fo'c'sle, drilled the round holes and then squared them, I was going to give them curved ends but with leaving all the side rails and the fo'c'sle rails square ended it didn't look right so i left them square as well,

1211.jpg
This is some of the rails that I steam bent and was going to use,

1212.jpg
nearly built up,

1213.jpg
and with the capping pieces on and the side rails finished,

1214.jpg
Painted and glued in place,

1215.jpg
another view,

1216.jpg
and a side view,

thanks for looking in,

best regards John,

1217.jpg
Next up was the capstan and the Chimney piece for the Galley stove, on the varnished model it shows the chimney as a tall tapered piece whilst on the painted model it is shown as a small curved piece, i decided to go with the curved piece,

1218.jpg
looking along the deck the capstan looks quite big but it is because it is nearer the camera,

1219.jpg
and a nice view under the Fo'c'sle,

1220.jpg
close up of the belfry and the stove chimney,

best regards John,

Thanks guy's for all the likes and the comments, well it was my turn this week, I started with a chest infection last Tuesday and it gradually got worse till I had to be taken into Hospital at 6am Tuesday morning, they kept me in for the day, ran all the tests and ended up letting me go with some anti biotics, but the best bit is that on Thursday it was our 55th Anniversary, so I certainly stuffed that up, so we will go out for lunch when Im feeling better, I'm not too bad during the day it is at night time when I take bad, should be better by the end of this week, well thats my rant for the day, hope yours have been a lot better,

best regards john.
I hope you get well soon. Take care. Congratulations btw on your anniversary, 55 years, respect that is a long time.

About the work on your rail, I can only admid that you did a phantastic job.

Tha
I hope you get well soon. Take care. Congratulations btw on your anniversary, 55 years, respect that is a long time.

About the work on your rail, I can only admid that you did a phantastic job.
Praying for a full and speedy recovery John.
Thank you for your concerns and well wishes,
Best regards John,

Back