Re: Royal William 1/48 scale

Wow John, you made a lot of progress here.
As allways I love your creativity in sourcing materials leading to a wonderfull RW.
Visiting the Annapolis Naval Academy museum 3 wks ago and looking at their 1:48 scale RW I realized the shear size of your build.
See here the Anapolis RW maybe you can use these.
View attachment 372808View attachment 372809View attachment 372810View attachment 372811View attachment 372812View attachment 372813View attachment 372814View attachment 372815View attachment 372816View attachment 372817View attachment 372818View attachment 372819View attachment 372821View attachment 372822View attachment 372823
Thank you Maarten, first of all I am so envious of you, that would have been a great trip, secondly I would like to thank you for the beautiful pics of the Royal William, they will come in really handy, some really nice clear shots, my wife had better lock up her jewelry box, especially with that pic of the side entrance door, and the pics of the rope ladders at the stern, and some nice ones of the deck as well,

best regards John.

Hello Neptun, I'm really looking forward to your report, because I've also had this saw in mind and in my wish list on Amazon.

G'day Tobias, I have received the saw, but they sent one with a fixed blade, I complained to Ali Express and sent them pics of the saw they advertised and also pics of the saw they sent and they agreed I had a complaint, so they said I can either repack and send the saw back or I could keep it and have a $40 credit paid back to me, I decided to keep it, it was supposed to be $110 AUD so I ended up paying $70 AUD including shipping, I will post below the pics,

1.jpg
It is a very nice saw, strongly built with a steel case and a aluminum top, the 45 guide slides nicely in its slot,

2.jpg
and another view with the blade fitted and the protector fitted as well,

3.jpg
You have to take the table top off to change the blade, just four screws one in each corner,

4.jpg
its easy enough to change the blades,

5.jpg
and with the new blade in place,

6.jpg
and aview of the case the box is where the blade sits and the vacuum cleaner attachment goes in the hole at the base, these bases are meant for different types of saw some have sanding attachments etc, thats the reason for all the holes,

7.jpg
you get four different blades, one for metal cutting, one with diamond grit, a carbide tipped one and slitting blade,

8.jpg
also comes with a power pack with a seven speed setting and an Australian plug,

9.jpg
this is a piece of 10mm x 10mm pine that I cut,

10.jpg
and a close up,

11.jpg
and this is a Box wood ruler that I cut in half in two passes,

All in all I'm very pleased with it, I think it would have no problems taking your finger if you are not careful, However I did want one that had a blade that you could raise and lower so I am going to sell this one, I already have another on the way that is a rise and fall and also has a sanding disk on the back but this one is $120, I am asking $80 AUD including shipping for the fixed blade one, this is in Australia,

Hope this helps,

Best regards john,

Last edited:
G'day Tobias, I have received the saw, but they sent one with a fixed blade, I complained to Ali Express and sent them pics of the saw they advertised and also pics of the saw they sent and they agreed I had a complaint, so they said I can either repack and send the saw back or I could keep it and have a $40 credit paid back to me, I decided to keep it, it was supposed to be $110 AUD so I ended up paying $70 AUD including shipping, I will post below the pics,

View attachment 375234
It is a very nice saw, strongly built with a steel case and a aluminum top, the 45 guide slides nicely in its slot,

View attachment 375235
and another view with the blade fitted and the protector fitted as well,

View attachment 375236
You have to take the table top off to change the blade, just four screws one in each corner,

View attachment 375237
its easy enough to change the blades,

View attachment 375238
and with the new blade in place,

View attachment 375239
and aview of the case the box is where the blade sits and the vacuum cleaner attachment goes in the hole at the base, these bases are meant for different types of saw some have sanding attachments etc, thats the reason for all the holes,

View attachment 375240
you get four different blades, one for metal cutting, one with diamond grit, a carbide tipped one and slitting blade,

View attachment 375241
also comes with a power pack with a seven speed setting and an Australian plug,

View attachment 375242
this is a piece of 10mm x 10mm pine that I cut,

View attachment 375243
and a close up,

View attachment 375244
and this is a Box wood ruler that I cut in half in two passes,

All in all I'm very pleased with it, I think it would have no problems taking your finger if you are not careful, However I did want one that had a blade that you could raise and lower so I am going to sell this one, I already have another on the way that is a rise and fall and also has a sanding disk on the back but this one is $120, I am asking $80 AUD including shipping for the fixed blade one, this is in Australia,

Hope this helps,

Best regards john,

Hi John, first of all thanks for all your info and for thinking of me. Too bad you got the wrong saw. I hope you can sell it and I would be happy if you have the new saw that you can describe it again.

Nice saw. That part to raise and lower the blade is sell separate on Aliexpress, maybe an option.
You become an AliExpress Guru, mon ami! We used to have a store Radio Shack in the US (a long time ago). Their slogan was: you have a question - we got the answer!! This slogan should be rephrased as You have questions - Stephan got an answer on Aliexpress! Personally, I like the fact that most, if not anything you can find there. I use many of your hints from Ali. You are officially getting the title of AliGuru, Congrats!!

Hi John, first of all thanks for all your info and for thinking of me. Too bad you got the wrong saw. I hope you can sell it and I would be happy if you have the new saw that you can describe it again.
New saw arrived, see pics below, this one has the rise and fall blade,

20230521_123235.jpg
set up with fence blade etc, dimensions of the saw table and the saw case are exactly the same as the other saw,

20230521_123247.jpg
here you can see where you insert the hex key to lift or lower the blade,

20230521_123325.jpg
and a view of the back, this model also has a disc sanding attachment, I will construct a simple table for the disc and also make a 90 degree angle attachment for the dust extractor to get it out of the way of the disc, there is another on off switch at the back of the case this is because this model has two motors, one for the saw and the other for the sander,

20230521_123614.jpg
it also comes with 10 sanding discs,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john,

20230521_123306.jpg

I also bought another item which is the rise and fall mechanism for making a saw table, this part cost $58 AUD,

20230521_124121.jpg
this unit is too big to fit in the saw case of my new saw and I am in the process of waiting for a table top to arrive,

60041566_6_image.jpg
this is the table top, I will have to make the base box for it to sit on,

60041566_4_image.jpg
and it comes with the Fence and the mitre, cost is $52AUD including shipping,

20230521_124255.jpg
to give an idea of size the rubber belt sitting in front is the belt for the other saw and this one will take 60mm blades up to 110,

20230521_124130.jpg

20230521_124138.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
and the dimesions, credit for this pic goes to Aliexpress,

best regards John,

Last edited:
Well i managed to get a bit of painting done on the RW down around the lower stern galleries, see pics below,

1031.jpg
Had to tip her on her side to get to these area's, still got to add the Drop's to each side and all the lower decorations, i will probably leave these till later on,

1032.jpg
and a close up, still a lot of sanding and painting to do yet,

1033.jpg
and a overall view,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john,

1034.jpg
managed to get a little bit moire done on the RW, I decided to finish the decorative pieces on the midship and bow area's, there is a small band of decoration on the midship area so i decided to use these smaller picture frames,

1035.jpg
shows some of the smaller pieces after cutting from the frame, these will be cut yet again into individual pieces,

1036.jpg
and some of the scroll work from around the top of the frame, i have four of these frames so more than enough for what i need, these have just been cut from the frame and have to be sanded to the final shape yet,

1037.jpg
The bow area where the small scroll pieces will be attached, they will go on just under where the anchor rope is coming out of the hull,

1038.jpg
after trimming to fit, these are not yet glued in place as they have to be gilded,

1039.jpg
and a head on view showing the pieces on both sides,

thanks for looking in,

best regards john,

1040.jpg
These are most of the parts that I will be using, this shows them after final shaping and gilding,

1041.jpg
the lower parts now fixed in place, i still have to drill the holes for the gamoning to go through,

1042.jpg
and a close up,

1043.jpg
and on the starb side exactly the same, thats the beauty of these picture frames they have a left and right sight side,

1044.jpg
Full length view with nearly all the decorations in place, I've also attached some of the upper cannon in place,

1045.jpg
and the port side,

1046.jpg
close up of the port side,

best regards john,

1048.jpg
I have received the table top for the saw and it is exactly as described really nice and solid,

1047.jpg
and it also came with the Fence and the mitre part,

1049.jpg
I decided to do do just something simple but solid to hold the saw top, so I used some 25mm pine for the sides etc,

1050.jpg
and a front view,

1051.jpg
view from the side,

1052.jpg
and from the other side,

1053.jpg
I had to buy some connectors, On Off switch and the power socket,

1054.jpg
This is a comparision pic of the two saw tables, both run nice and quite,
continued in the next post,

best regards john,

1055.jpg
I was looking around for a saw blade, and this is the one that i liked, it only has a 1mm kerf, but it it has a 15mm Bore where as the saw has a 16mm fitting for the saw to sit on, so I had to reduce the saw part by 1mm,

1056.jpg
a full pic of the saw blade,

1057.jpg
I packed out the ( I cannot think of the name of it ) saw part on the lathe, and because I have only to remove 1mm ( .5mm ) I decided to do it by hand, did'nt trust myself with the power on,

1058.jpg
I used a nice new piece of tool steel that had a good square edge, and I had already removed the turning belt, so I slowly turned the chuck by hand just taking a very small amount off and checking frequently with the saw blade,

1059.jpg
another view,

1060.jpg
and the final result was a nice snug fit that was completely square, more to follow on the next post, got to go and make the Admiral some supper, cheese on toast,

best regards john,

Back