PRINTZ FRIDERICH (1761 - 1780) - danish 70-gun Ship of the Line - 1:48 by Karl I. Malcha

Hi Uwek.

WOW what can I say.

I have only had time to flick through this log and I am absolutely amazed at your skills.
This model ship is a real pleasure for the eyes.
The Builder of this beautiful building of the Danish Warship "Prinzn Frederich " is in fact notUWE-sorry Uwe- but a German builder named here as KALIBOOT - KARL., but yes it was UWE who made the build log, as apparently Karl INGWAR at that time did not know how to do it or he was not a member at that time. here Uweknows better than me- el capi

"shipnapping" by the Laesö-gang from Denmark!
The "Printz Friderich" leaves her home yard and will spend her future life in the museum in Byrum on the danish island Laesö, where the original ship was lost in 1780. She is a long-term loan and will be part of the exhibition "havets hemmeligheder" (secrets of the sea).
The parting was a rather emotional moment, believe me.
Karl Ingwer

L1090733.JPG

Well, Karl, this model is one for the ages, as so very few models exemplify this degree of care and craft. I think it is very generous of you to display the model publicly and fitting that this model should be seen within her historical context. Just think of how many young people, who will see your model, and be inspired to CREATE something themselves. Models of this quality make an impression, and they have to be seen. Congratulations on your achievement!

Well, Karl, this model is one for the ages, as so very few models exemplify this degree of care and craft. I think it is very generous of you to display the model publicly and fitting that this model should be seen within her historical context. Just think of how many young people, who will see your model, and be inspired to CREATE something themselves. Models of this quality make an impression, and they have to be seen. Congratulations on your achievement!
Ditto :)

Dear Hubac, Shota, Steef, Maarten, thank you so much for your prudent and consoling words and thanks for all the likes and loves!
The nearly 2 years of researching and the 12 years of building were the main meaning of my retirement. Now it has come to conclusion. But I have still some small "rolls in the oven" ...
If it is not too obtrusive I would like to post some fotos of the finished model within the next days, which are not in Uwe's portfolio.

Dear Hubac, Shota, Steef, Maarten, thank you so much for your prudent and consoling words and thanks for all the likes and loves!
The nearly 2 years of researching and the 12 years of building were the main meaning of my retirement. Now it has come to conclusion. But I have still some small "rolls in the oven" ...
If it is not too obtrusive I would like to post some fotos of the finished model within the next days, which are not in Uwe's portfolio.
This would be great my friend, to see the complete and finished model and an extra topic here:

Dear Karl
First I would like to explicitly express my enormous appreciation for the quality of your work and the dedication that accompanied it. It is indeed a great generosity to allow others to enjoy your art and masterpiece!!!!
I would like to politely ask if you have considered publishing the drawings/plans you created and the work process in a file or document similar to Practicum. This will allow others to enjoy the fruits of your labor and document it for many years. Maybe there will be another brave one who will try to face the challenge
regards Shota :)

Nice to hear from You again. I am one of the few who knows a little of the background, and why Uwe projected here. Both You and and We are so old, that at that time there was nowhere to publish.. I am happy , that Prinz Frederic goe to a Museum in Denmark. I knew this Island well from when I was serving in the Navy.. The sistership /far from you build /Norske love /was standing in a 5 starRestaurant more than 20 years. they were lovely ships.
My model was a kit, this model was one of the 1TH laser-cut from
BillingBoat and latest 45 years about.. The 2nd after a restoring. 20 years on front of the sea attacking mainly the Running riggen

01 Norske love 1.jpg

Norske love 4.jpg

Hallo Karl,
ich freue mich schon jetzt auf die zusätzlichen Fotos / Bilder von deinem Modell.
Grüsse
Karl

Dear colleages at work,
many thanks for your appreciation and, dear shota, for your request to make a kind of practicum for the model. I feel honoured by that.
But when I started work on the ship I only wanted to build a model just for my own pleasure. I had not the intention to make something for the public, except for the local exhibition in Hamburg for example, where my children "forced" me to take part. It's all Uwe's work after we met there ...
So I have some notes and sketches of course but not enough to publish.
The sources for this ship are rather extensive and everyone who has some experience in scratch - building can cope with the job I think.
I would be glad when a second "Printz Friderich" could come on the slipway. If I can help I will do so.
Below one of the sources: a postcard of the wax model of the figurehead in the war museum at Copenhagen. I have tried to find her sister in this boxwood log.
Karl Ingwer

L1050739.JPG

L1050606.JPG

I was asked how often I got angry and frustrated when making this railing. - Not once!
The way to keep my emotional balance was: I made a kind of plywood out of 0.5mm boxwood sheets glued over a bent and tilted piece of waxed wood nearly representing the required shape.
The first two layers are glued crosswise like an X (not +). Inbetween there is a strip of an old cotton handkerchief (clean washed), soaked with glue. After some hours the third layer of box is sticked on vertically ( I ). The visual surface should be moisted a little to prevent warping.
The next day one can saw the ornaments with a jeweller's saw and a stock of very fine teethed sawblades.
(a typical hint of a man born in the first half of the last century I think)
Karl Ingwer

Printz Friderich_Karl Ingwer Malcha_C5A5262.jpg

L1050161.JPG

I was asked how often I got angry and frustrated when making this railing. - Not once!
The way to keep my emotional balance was: I made a kind of plywood out of 0.5mm boxwood sheets glued over a bent and tilted piece of waxed wood nearly representing the required shape.
The first two layers are glued crosswise like an X (not +). Inbetween there is a strip of an old cotton handkerchief (clean washed), soaked with glue. After some hours the third layer of box is sticked on vertically ( I ). The visual surface should be moisted a little to prevent warping.
The next day one can saw the ornaments with a jeweller's saw and a stock of very fine teethed sawblades.
(a typical hint of a man born in the first half of the last century I think)
Karl Ingwer

View attachment 387926

View attachment 387927
I FULLY AGREE WITH YOU. IN OUR TIME, WE HAD TO DO EVERYTHING OURSELVES.
I you feel angry or frustrated DO NOT build that day

14.jpg

L1070297.jpg

25083864.JPG

The painting (1,5 x 1,0m) which the well-known danish marine artist Johannes E. Möller makes for the museum in Byrum/Laesö. It is still in progress. It shows the situation in the early morning after running aground when the officers tried to get an overview.
The second picture shows the perspective the artist wanted: the model acted as a model ...

JEM Prinzen_MGL6661.jpg

L1070471.JPG

Back