Prins Willem V.O.C 1651 from Corel.

yes I know. Corel is differend to the others. They don't give a build plan with step by step. They give drawings you have to manage every thing by yourself. Scratch builders love the Corel plans becaause you can build the ship with only the drawing. Like André did. And how Jan it did on my PW.

20211108_004303.jpg
Another advice I will give you is to fil up the bow with balsa wood end sand it in form of the bow. You see that in André's build to. When planking the ship you will find out why this is better to do so.

Andy Brouwers is volgens mij nog actief op modelbrouwers, bouwt enkel en alleen nog plastic spul.

ENGLISH
Andy Brouwers is still active in model breweries, I think, and only builds plastic stuff

Hi everyone.
A little update of the Prins Willem
20211125_220636.jpg
I cutted out the gunports and painted them red before the 2nd layer, so the paint can't touch the wood of the 2nd layer and it gives more depth.
I also painted the U-blocks black and glued them in place. Not all of them... because I don't have anough glue clamps.

Last edited:
The U-Blocks form the boxes into which the cannon barrels are inserted?

The gunports follow the zeeg of the hull beautifully. It's strange that she doesn't have any more gunports closer to the bow. I know she doesn't, I am just wondering why. At 170 ft she was apparently the same length as the Batavia which had cannons closer to the bow.

It's strange that she doesn't have any more gunports closer to the bow
She have.
The two rond holes on top of the planks are gunports. Over the entire length of the ship there are coming 8 or 9 holes on both sides of the ship and the canons on top of the dek are sticking through them.

This ship wasn't originally a warship but it was a tradeship. The extra gunports where made in a later stadium when this ship was bought from the VOC by the Dutch admirality as to be used as a warship.
What I think... is that there wasn't enough space to put more gunports.
Later she was sold back to the VOC and they used it as a tradeship again.

Last edited:
nice work. Make sure these cannon holders are secured tight. I push one away when I wanted to fit the gun. When this happened by accident when the ship is ready you can never reach that place. Just a tip.

Back