Pouce to inch and mm.

Tony P

Staff member
Le Rochefort Moderator

I’m trying to figure out the amount of wood to order for Le Rochefort. I think I saw a thread about Pouce to inch and or mm ? Can’t find it now. I see that when using conversion calculators online they don’t come up correct to match what’s listed in the Monograph. Im assuming that I won’t need these type of measurements for anything else so I can probably just estimate for material to buy but I’d like to know what the true conversion is anyway in case I do need it in the future. Can anyone answer these questions ? Thanks Tony

59344798-11BE-452C-BF43-1349D1D750D0.jpeg

This converting table Centimeters to Inches Converter will help

Screenshot 2022-11-16 133210.png

as an example I typed the first measure of the depth of the keel with 270mm inside - result is 10,629 or 10 5/8 inches

also this standard table is shown here in order to get a better feeling

Screenshot 2022-11-16 133545.png

I’ve done that. That’s no problem. Im asking about pouce to mm or inch. Do I even need to know that conversion ? Seems like the answer is no.

I’ve done that. That’s no problem. Im asking about pouce to mm or inch. Do I even need to know that conversion ? Seems like the answer is no.
Sorry for my misunderstanding.
For building a scratch model it is not necessary
This additional informations are usually given in the ancre monographs to give to the reader also the information of the scantings written in the original contemporary contract - only to be able to be absolutely correct
so for your work and wood order the mm and inches should be enough

. I think I saw a thread about Pouce to inch and or mm ? Can’t find it now.
Here is it

I’m interested too so I did a Google search. Does this site conversion information help? Lot of adverts though.

(edit: I see Uwe just posted too)

Last edited:
I’m trying to figure out the amount of wood to order for Le Rochefort. I think I saw a thread about Pouce to inch and or mm ? Can’t find it now. I see that when using conversion calculators online they don’t come up correct to match what’s listed in the Monograph. Im assuming that I won’t need these type of measurements for anything else so I can probably just estimate for material to buy but I’d like to know what the true conversion is anyway in case I do need it in the future. Can anyone answer these questions ? Thanks Tony

View attachment 340903
Tony
The page of the book that you are showing indicates that a pouce (inch) = 27 mm
This is wrong
an inch is 25.4mm

Not to put too fine of a point of this, but the measurement of the pouce being 27.07 mm is correct given the time period of the ship which was before France's adoption of the metric system. The pouce was basically 1/12 pied de rois or 1/12 the King's foot. Much like a cubit is the measurement from one's elbow to the longest finger...not a very precise measurement.
So if Tony was to order the materials by the pouce measurement, it would seem he would have a slight bit of overage.
...henry

Before metric system, the French inch (pouce) was equal to 27.1 mm.

The information in the original post represents 1:1 scale with a dimesion rounded to 27 mm for 1 inch: and that needs to be adjusted to the model scale.
G.

Sorry for my misunderstanding.
For building a scratch model it is not necessary
This additional informations are usually given in the ancre monographs to give to the reader also the information of the scantings written in the original contemporary contract - only to be able to be absolutely correct
so for your work and wood order the mm and inches should be enough
Ok yes. That’s what I needed to know.

You are absolutely correct, I did not know that and found out that France adopted the metric system in 1795
Le Rochefort was built in 1669, hence prior to that.

View attachment 340903
I still have a spreadsheet for converting inch-mm- you may find it further up, it not I will send it el capi

There is a really handy calculator that converts mm to inches and inches to mm. I use it in my construction business all the time. You can get it at Home Depot. Construction Master 5 Model 4050 from CALCULATED INDUSTRIES. It comes in its own case and a slot in the back to store the small instruction manual. Very intuitive.

You can convert dimensions between the English and Metric system with a standard calculator if you can remember the conversion factor. There are exactly 25.4 mm in an inch. To convert any inch dimension to millimeters, multiply by 25.4; e.g., 1.5 inches x 25.4 = 38.1 mm. To convert any millimeter dimension to inches, divide by 25.4; e.g., 30 mm divided by 25.4 = 1.1811inches. Now, if the pouce measurement is equal to 27.02 mm, multiply any pouce measurement x 27.02 to convert to mm then divide by 25.4 to convert to inches.

all in al I got it. Was just curious as it seems I wont need this measurement anywhere during the build

Back