Opinion on Constitution model

Looking at two different kits for the USS Constitution. Billings model at 1:100 and Modelshipways model at 1:76 scale.
Aside from the obvious differences in scale (And price) I'm looking for opinions on quality of materials, instructions etc. between the two.
Thanks, Ron

Ron:

Personally, I'd go with the Model Shipways if only for the copper bottom. And when you're a geezer like me, the larger size of the parts becomes important.

I built this kit for my daughter about 10 years ago and was quite happy with it. Maybe you can get it on sale some time...

Bruce

Ron:

Personally, I'd go with the Model Shipways if only for the copper bottom. And when you're a geezer like me, the larger size of the parts becomes important.

I built this kit for my daughter about 10 years ago and was quite happy with it. Maybe you can get it on sale some time...

Bruce
From one geezer to another thanks for your response.
I’ve pretty much made up my mind for the Model Shipways.

I have the older Mamoli kit in the stash. It’s 1:96 scale but still builds into a 38” model. It has those icky green bits that are meant to replicate copper plates so I would substitute those out for copper tape. The kit itself looks pretty good and you can find it fairly cheaply on EBay.

Also, bluejacket carries the Constitution as well. https://www.bluejacketinc.com/

I assume that they still offer this as a kit at $699
Donnie, I would have considered Bluejackets however, it’s a solid hull model. I built their Kearsarge several years ago and liked the kit. ( No solid hull)

I built the Billing kit as my first model. Directions difficult to follow—mostly pictures. But it was my first model, after all, so that may have jaded my view. Also, it was pretty simplistic and had cheap fuzzy line. It had a single plank hull. But I still proudly display it in our living room. Sometimes simple is better.

My Gosh - really ? I didn't know that was a solid hull - dang. Ok, never mind then. It it was up to me, I would go for the Model Expo hands down as it seems very well documented and back up by ME's (Model Expo's) spare parts policy, etc. Its a nice kit. One day, I plan to build this one.
You can also download the instructions and Parts list (PDF) from ME's site too. While you are at it, you can get their paint set that goes with it (extra charge of course).

My Gosh - really ? I didn't know that was a solid hull - dang. Ok, never mind then. It it was up to me, I would go for the Model Expo hands down as it seems very well documented and back up by ME's (Model Expo's) spare parts policy, etc. Its a nice kit. One day, I plan to build this one.
You can also download the instructions and Parts list (PDF) from ME's site too. While you are at it, you can get their paint set that goes with it (extra charge of course).
Thanks for your input Donnie. I had already downloaded instructions from both kits and printed out all 40+ pages each. I’ve also been perusing a couple of build logs trying to get a feel for the difference's. See, the internet does has some good points ;)

I am sure that you have been thorough in your research, but just in case you might have missed it. The Model Shipways has 9 different sizes of rigging lines. The Billings only has 4 sizes. I know that scale can also dictate that. It just depends on how much detail and accuracy you are after.

The point is that to be satisfied with your decision.

Thanks for all your input guy's. It looks like I made my bed now have to lie in it.

Ordered it from Model Expo and it arrived within two days. Guess that's the advantage of living only a couple hundred miles from Miami.
Could have "saved" $200 as there is one listed on Ebay however, I've always had excellent customer service for Model expo. Sometimes you're not sure what you get from Ebay.
P.S. glad they shipped it out before Nicole comes onshore Wednesday evening. :eek:

01_Box.jpg

Congratulations. I am glad that you got it direct from ME. You will be happy with it.

Donnie, I would have considered Bluejackets however, it’s a solid hull model. I built their Kearsarge several years ago and liked the kit. ( No solid hull)
I wouldn't necessarily discount a solid hull model. There is a lot of work to be done to shape the hull since what they give you is very rough shape. Also, you still need to plank the hull. If you do the shaping correctly, you will actually get a better looking hull than the traditional plank on bu;khead model, in my humble opinion.

Thanks for all your input guy's. It looks like I made my bed now have to lie in it.

Ordered it from Model Expo and it arrived within two days. Guess that's the advantage of living only a couple hundred miles from Miami.
Could have "saved" $200 as there is one listed on Ebay however, I've always had excellent customer service for Model expo. Sometimes you're not sure what you get from Ebay.
P.S. glad they shipped it out before Nicole comes onshore Wednesday evening. :eek:

View attachment 339467
Congratulations on your purchase I will look forward to seeing your progress and log. I also have this kit, if everything had gone to plan I would have started it by now but we are in the process of moving house it will have to wait.

Ron:

Bruce
This geezer (age73) agrees. This is a Model Expo banner model. They are in Florida but that never stops delivery. More than that I can contact them if some part is missing or I damage it and they sent it free of charge.

This geezer (age73) agrees. This is a Model Expo banner model. They are in Florida but that never stops delivery. More than that I can contact them if some part is missing or I damage it and they sent it free of charge.
Just finishing up a 2 year + build. It will keep you busy for a while.
I used Bob’s Lauck Street Shipyard’s practincum and found it very helpful as instruction book is lacking.
Good choice,
Enjoy

Just finishing up a 2 year + build. It will keep you busy for a while.
I used Bob’s Lauck Street Shipyard’s practincum and found it very helpful as instruction book is lacking.
Good choice,
Enjoy
I have the Lauck Street Shipyard DVDs. They are a goldmone of information both theoretical and practical.

Looking at two different kits for the USS Constitution. Billings model at 1:100 and Modelshipways model at 1:76 scale.
Aside from the obvious differences in scale (And price) I'm looking for opinions on quality of materials, instructions etc. between the two.
Thanks, Ron

Thanks, Ron
Good choice on Model Expo. I finished this model two years ago and it was a very satisfying build! I also used Bob Hunt's practicum. Being an "old geezer" also, I could not deal with the copper tape. Instead, I used 1:72 copper plates from Caldercraft (part no. 83525) and it turned out great. Pricey but worth the $'s.

IMG_20210110_130224428.jpg

IMG_20210110_130115534.jpg

Being an "old geezer" also, I could not deal with the copper tape. Instead, I used 1:72 copper plates from Caldercraft (part no. 83525) and it turned out great. Pricey but worth the $'s.
Jedd,
Off hand do you remember how many plates it took?

Back