Occre - HMS Revenge 1577 - scale 1/85, 2nd build and why

Thank you @Uwek @Heinrich @Jimsky for the birthdays wishes.
Unfortunately we are still in a covid lockdown state here in Melbourne Australia, however we did manage a zoom meeting catch-up with some family and friends which was wonderful.

Progress has slowed a little as it's getting close to rigging time and I am putting it off knowing it will be a challenge for me.

Worked on the masts and spars by firstly marking all the pieces, then taking care noting the lengths of each dowel component making sure it will fit on the lengths provided, this required a bit of juggling mixing and matching but it all worked out ok.

20210717_160519.jpg

The small wood parts like cross trees were crafted and kept together as a set, the dowel tapering was done just with an electric drill and sandpaper.
I started assembling the crows nest from the bottom up then realized you can't put the next pieces in due to the angle of the structure, so I had too un-glue it and this time assemble the two middle pieces together first, then the top and bottom parts could be added.

20210728_141646.jpg

Keeping everything together as a set until they have had all the blocks added and assembled.

20210807_134322.jpg20210807_134425.jpg

Last edited:
El progreso se ha ralentizado un poco a medida que se acerca el momento de la manipulación y lo estoy posponiendo sabiendo que será un desafío para mí.

Trabajó en los mástiles y largueros marcando primero todas las piezas, luego teniendo cuidado de anotar las longitudes de cada componente de la clavija asegurándose de que encajara en las longitudes provistas, esto requirió un poco de malabarismo, mezcla y combinación, pero todo funcionó bien.

View attachment 257663

Las pequeñas partes de madera, como árboles en cruz, se hicieron a mano y se mantuvieron juntas como un conjunto, el ahusamiento de la clavija se hizo solo con un taladro eléctrico y papel de lija.
Comencé a ensamblar el nido de cuervos de abajo hacia arriba y luego me di cuenta de que no se pueden colocar las siguientes piezas debido al ángel de la estructura, así que tuve que desengancharlo demasiado y esta vez ensamblar las dos piezas del medio juntas primero, luego el Se podrían agregar las partes superior e inferior.

View attachment 257664

Mantener todo junto como un conjunto hasta que se hayan agregado y ensamblado todos los bloques.

View attachment 257665View attachment 257666
Gran trabajo Richie!. Saludos desde España. Estoy realizando el mismo kit que tu, aunque voy mas retrasado que tu. Tus fotos y comentarios me ayudan mucho en mi trabajo. Ánimo!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210818_002213.jpg
    IMG_20210818_002213.jpg
    190.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20210819_190954.jpg
    IMG_20210819_190954.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 13
Progress has slowed a little as it's getting close to rigging time and I am putting it off knowing it will be a challenge for me.

Worked on the masts and spars by firstly marking all the pieces, then taking care noting the lengths of each dowel component making sure it will fit on the lengths provided, this required a bit of juggling mixing and matching but it all worked out ok.

View attachment 257663

The small wood parts like cross trees were crafted and kept together as a set, the dowel tapering was done just with an electric drill and sandpaper.
I started assembling the crows nest from the bottom up then realized you can't put the next pieces in due to the angel of the structure, so I had too un-glue it and this time assemble the two middle pieces together first, then the top and bottom parts could be added.

View attachment 257664

Keeping everything together as a set until they have had all the blocks added and assembled.

View attachment 257665
Your ship is coming on nicely, I felt the same way about the rigging but it not that bad once you get started. I found the best way to learn was to practice tying blocks off the model, there are different ways of tying them find the best method that works for you.

Last edited:
Great job Richie! Greetings from Spain. I am making the same kit as you, although I am more behind than you. Your photos and comments help me a lot in my work. Cheer up!!
Thank you for your kind words Gravina, this is the main reason I decided to do this log hoping it might help someone in a similar position to me so glad it helps you.
Look forward to seeing your progress.

Your ship is coming on nicely, I felt the same way about the rigging but it not that bad once you get started. I found the best way to learn was to practice tying blocks off the model, there are different ways of tying them find the best method that works for you.
Thanks Tony, I think my main issue is how much do I just follow the plans or try to push it for some more accuracy as I think the original plans are somewhat simplified.
I am tending towards the former as I don't think my skills are up to making any wholesale changes, yes I can hear the gasps from everyone.
Its means more to me actually finishing the model even though it may not end up being a particularly accurate version of the Revenge, I think the Victory kit is probably a better example of it if I wanted to head down that path.

Hi Richie. My apologies for my late response, but my free time is not always as free as it was in the past. I think you have done a beautiful job decorating the Revenge. As to the accuracy of the kit compared to others - that is neither there nor here - this is what you had to work with and I think you have done a sterling job. The model shows a lot of "depth" to its dimensional construction which is something I always enjoy looking at.

Thank you @Michel, @paul & @Heinrich for your encouraging words.

The original small boat plans I thought showed it a little bare so decided to go off-piste and add a few extras off my own.

Boat Plan.png

I decided to make it a 4 seater instead of 3, some oars were crafted using tooth picks and scraps, the oarlocks were brass nails, ropes and a bucket added as a finishing touch.

Small Boat (1).jpgSmall Boat (2).jpgSmall Boat (3).jpgSmall Boat (4).jpg

Much much better than the original kit parts - very good adjustments

A small update on a few pieces with some reservations.

Not sure if the anchors will stay looking like this.

Anchor (2).jpgAnchor-Lantern.PNG

As per the plans rear lantern looks almost untouched raw metal, I am not good at artistic painting but tried to spruce it up, don't think it worked too well so am thinking of using the new premade one on the left.

Lanterns.jpg

The capstan looked a little tall when on the deck as it was too close to the the small boat so I decided to trim it down to a scale size of around 1.2 to 1.3 metres high.

Capstan (1).jpg

The ship figurehead is not good either, not sure what to do about this yet as the casting was pretty rough.

Dragon.PNG
Dragon (2).jpg

Attachments

• Lanterns.jpg
    Lanterns.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 8
Hard call on the lantern. The red one certainly looks nicer but does it fit with your ship? I happen to like your anchors very much - the casting for the figurehead - not so much. Looks like the mold has seen better days...

Estas haciendo un fantástico trabajo. Las mejores que vas haciendo aportan mas vistosidad y enriquecen el modelo original. Yo sigo con mi propio Revenge, mucho más lento que tu.IMG_20211017_163459.jpg

Estas haciendo un fantástico trabajo. Las mejores que vas haciendo aportan mas vistosidad y enriquecen el modelo original. Yo sigo con mi propio Revenge, mucho más lento que tu.View attachment 263567
Looks like you are doing a great job, it doesn't seem that long ago I was at the same place you are now, keep up the good work and keep the updates coming.

Hard call on the lantern. The red one certainly looks nicer but does it fit with your ship? I happen to like your anchors very much - the casting for the figurehead - not so much. Looks like the mold has seen better days...
Thank you yes I agree with your feedback. The casting mold definitely had seen better days, I know the figurehead is awful, I will strip the paint off it and try to redo it in a different colour as well as trying to fix the casting somehow, just don't know how yet, lucky it is one of those things that won't hold up the build.
If that is successful I may have another go at the original lantern before a final descision.

Like Paul said, I am not sure the prefabricated lantern suits your ship. I would go for your spruced-up one.
My thoughts too I wasn't immediately sold on it suiting the ship, see my reply to Paul, or I might look into modifying the new prefabricated one slightly, any idea if the new ones style is from a certain period.

Back