Occre - HMS Revenge 1577 - scale 1/85, 2nd build and why

Well a little progress has been made with the deadeyes as I veer away from the kit instructions here.
For a seemingly simple task bending and shaping some wire to hold the deadeyes it is proving difficult for me.
In my mind there is some debate about what may have made up this part either a large metal link or links or what we recognise as a chain today so I went with a hybrid, the parts were hard to make and I had some chain to hand.
Pictured are the larger ones and I have some smaller triangle deadeyes as well to make the ship a bit more period correct.

Deadeyes2.jpg

Talking about the earlier thread above as luck would have it a side project has just come my way, you can read a bit about it here, maybe just the tonic I need.:)

Maybe in truth a lot has been a bit lacklustre lately, since my bike crash being immobilised for a while ones vulnerability when 60+ comes to the fore but I shouldn't complain it really isn't that bad.
Good morning Richie. Eish. I know the feeling and as we get older even those small “ offs” feel like a biggie. Hope you are all sorted now. Cheers Grant

Good morning Richie. Eish. I know the feeling and as we get older even those small “ offs” feel like a biggie. Hope you are all sorted now. Cheers Grant
A big few months of rugby coming up, I have no idea how to pick a sure winner.

A big few months of rugby coming up, I have no idea how to pick a sure winner.
Good morning Richie. True story. I think in the Rugby Championship the All Blacks must be favourites, although in the World Cup I wouldn’t write off Ireland or France (especially at home). Some good TV time ahead.:D.Cheers Grant

Good morning Richie. True story. I think in the Rugby Championship the All Blacks must be favourites, although in the World Cup I wouldn’t write off Ireland or France (especially at home). Some good TV time ahead.:D.Cheers Grant
Hey Grant, for me not so sure, can they play well enough for a coach that is departing lets see, I am going to the All Blacks and Wallabies in Melbourne at the end of this month, it was a tough close match at the one I attended last year and a controversial finish. Looking forward to some good viewing starting this weekend.

May I suggest buying some new tools specific to the next step of the build? I find that the urge to play with new 'toys' can overcome the reluctance to start a task. That probably explains why I have so many gardening tools.

May I suggest buying some new tools specific to the next step of the build? I find that the urge to play with new 'toys' can overcome the reluctance to start a task. That probably explains why I have so many gardening tools.
Funny you should mention that, that's exactly what I have just done and I have started work on my new build as per above.

My little side project has started, I didn't think I would have 2 ships on the go at once but a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.

The Revenge will live in dry dock for the moment but I expect to alternate work between both.

If interested you can follow progress here.

Thank you everyone for tips and feedback along the way, every little bit helps to progress.

Well a little progress has been made with the deadeyes as I veer away from the kit instructions here.
For a seemingly simple task bending and shaping some wire to hold the deadeyes it is proving difficult for me.
In my mind there is some debate about what may have made up this part either a large metal link or links or what we recognise as a chain today so I went with a hybrid, the parts were hard to make and I had some chain to hand.
Pictured are the larger ones and I have some smaller triangle deadeyes as well to make the ship a bit more period correct.

View attachment 381848

Talking about the earlier thread above as luck would have it a side project has just come my way, you can read a bit about it here, maybe just the tonic I need.:)

Welcome to the Fellowship of Kit Bashers, Richie! :D

Good morning Richie. For the Kiwi living in Aus, I wish you guys the best for tomorrows final. May it be a titanic game and not one where the All Blacks turn it on (as they can) and give us a hiding. Cheers Grant
Hey Grant, Hard to know how this is going to play out, whoever gains control to play how they want I think will win, 1995 still gives me shivers so All Blacks turn to get one back;). Good luck and hope it's a beauty.

Back