Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Good work Phil. Oh my word, I just realized again at what a big girl she is. I had a good look at your hull now Phil - maybe it's not necessary to have filler blocks for the whole hull. Along the sides there seems to be very little curvature to the hull (it's basically a straight line - unless the photograph distorts things), so the planking should not be too much of an issue. You might just get away with filler blocks only at the bow and stern.

GREAT STUFF Phil! Your deck planking looks EXCELLENT! I am also impressed by how well the bulkhead notches of the deck fit around the bulkheads - good stuff.

Bow construction. The head (beakhead) Includes using brass wire to line the beakhead fixtures. Painting is iffy at this point and will be touched up near the end of the entire build. Lots of filler used up to the Knightheads. Fitting can be difficult so taking time is essential.Nuestra_455.jpgNuestra_456.jpgNuestra_457.jpgNuestra_459.jpgNuestra_460.jpgNuestra_461.jpgNuestra_462.jpgNuestra_463.jpgNuestra_466.jpgNuestra_467.jpgNuestra_468.jpg

Nuestra_464.jpg

Last edited:
Build log update:
Finalized the upper deck assemblies and added faux nails to the decking.
Cemented the rear upper deck halves onto the frame
Coated the decking fore and aft with a brush on lacquer
Cut the cross beams out from the openings
Milled the cross beams ends to accept a 5mm x 5mm deck support beam on each side.
Installed the support beams
Installed beam support columns (4 per side) - also 5mm x 5mm material (bass/lime wood)
Installed the bow support piecesView attachment 276488View attachment 276489View attachment 276490View attachment 276491View attachment 276492View attachment 276493View attachment 276494View attachment 276495View attachment 276497View attachment 276498View attachment 276499View attachment 276500
Looking great Philski! You’re making good progress and fast! ;)
One thing to consider, installing the cannons under the walkways! It may have been best to plank the hull, cut the cannon ports, install the cannons with rigging and then add the walkways above them? It may be difficult to add the eyes and cannons now.

I concur 100% with what @Dean62 said about your progress and how the ship looks - it is an impressive build of an impressive ship. Judging by the pictures, it is difficult to gauge exactly how much space you have between the deck and the walkway to work with when installing and rigging the cannons and obviously I also do not know what the instructions say. Buy - yes - it would have been easier from a cannon installation point of view to install the walkway later.

It may be! But I am trucking along following OcCre's instructions. I guess we'll see how it goes....
I understand, however I always look ahead and will change the order, regardless of instructions, if it makes sense to do so. Anytime something is covered or will have limited access, I try to build it prior to be covered.
I had a similar situation on the Cazador by Occre where the cannons were blocked by stairs. They showed adding the cannons afterwards, which would have been very difficult at best! I installed the cannons before adding the stairs. Also they showed installing a door that was under a deck after the deck was installed. I added the door first.
So I tend to read the instructions beginning to end prior to building the ship, that way I can become familiar with the process in advance and also I can hopefully discover any issues with the build order, as mentioned above.
Bottom line, it’s up to you how you want to approach it, but I try to avoid problematic situations if possible. But hindsight is always better than foresight! I’m sure you will manage, just something to consider in the future. ;)
Keep up the good work!

I understand, however I always look ahead and will change the order, regardless of instructions, if it makes sense to do so. Anytime something is covered or will have limited access, I try to build it prior to be covered.
I had a similar situation on the Cazador by Occre where the cannons were blocked by stairs. They showed adding the cannons afterwards, which would have been very difficult at best! I installed the cannons before adding the stairs. Also they showed installing a door that was under a deck after the deck was installed. I added the door first.
So I tend to read the instructions beginning to end prior to building the ship, that way I can become familiar with the process in advance and also I can hopefully discover any issues with the build order, as mentioned above.
Bottom line, it’s up to you how you want to approach it, but I try to avoid problematic situations if possible. But hindsight is always better than foresight! I’m sure you will manage, just something to consider in the future. ;)
Keep up the good work!
Good strategy!

Don't follow the instructions blindly or you may fall in some traps. Just think ahead. The cannons are only one of the things that occre does not take in account in the instructions.

In my case I made the holes for the eyes before gluing the walkways, everything is prepared to receive the eyes for the ropes. It may be difficult to do that with thw walkways in place.

For example how are you going to fix the bowsprit if you haven't open a hole for it?

I feel much better now (I suffered an anxiety crises for more that a year now that prevented me to dedicate time to my hobbies) and maybe I'm going to resume my building of NS del Pilar in paralel with yours thanks to your inspiration.

Regards

Attachments

• DSC09558.JPG
    DSC09558.JPG
    234.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC09559.JPG
    DSC09559.JPG
    187.6 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC09560.JPG
    DSC09560.JPG
    128.1 KB · Views: 14
Main deck gratings. Constructed by assembling notched wood pieces together with the sparing use of CA to hold them together. Then they were finished with a frame (mahogany) Grating tops were painted red.

Nuestra_476.jpgNuestra_477.jpgNuestra_478.jpgNuestra_479.jpgNuestra_480.jpgNuestra_481.jpgNuestra_482.jpgNuestra_483.jpgNuestra_507.jpg.jpg

Last edited:
The doors look great and I really like the yellow - far better than white! Thumbsup

Back