Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Very good cabins Phil. I don't just like the yellow-glassed doors, I love them. It's just a pity one sees so little of them with the upper rear deck in position.

Very very nice Phil. I really like this ship more and more and what you are doing with your build, is excellent! Unfortunately, given my current situation, she is just too big for me to try my hand at her. :(

Galley. Built from laser cut plywood sections. Filed to create grooves. Also crafted the galley chimney supports, blackened the galley chimney (metal item) before installation. First picture is from instruction manual. Also shows metal (blackened brass) banding around the galley. Painted to look like brick and mortar.

Nuestra_570.jpgNuestra_571.jpgNuestra_572.jpgNuestra_573.jpg

2023-12-01 (1).png

Last edited:
Ongoing Build Log:
Last night and today:

Installed the lower gun deck (although there is no actual deck) gun port frames.
Also installed the upper (poop deck?) gun port frame (which will be further supported with wood scrap)

Each of these lower ports will be getting a half-cannon barrel so each port has to have a door of sorts installed from the back. Each door consists of 3 each 6mm pieces cut to 18mm and glued together to make on door. Twenty-two total are needed (so far - there are also two rear gunports not yet shown).
Then they are painted black. Before installing, each port will receive a red paint treatment.
Because each door will be drilled to accept the "almost a cannon", to be held in place by a pin, I decided to add some extra wood bulk to the rear of each door for strength and extra glue surface. I will be epoxying each gun in place when the time comes to do so.

Attached are pictures for your enjoyment and to further illustrate these procedures.

View attachment 279088
12 gun port frames added to each side

View attachment 279090View attachment 279091
Port door billets (lime wood) 6mm x 2mm x 18mm - each of which was sanded to remove any burrs.

View attachment 279093
Wood billets glued to make an 18mm x 18mm door.

View attachment 279095
Cannons to be added showing the pin that will allow the gun to be glued into the doors
View attachment 279096
Extra wood pieces glued to the rear of each door for strength and to increase glue surface.
Making good progress! You’ll soon be ready for hull planking! ;)

Very nicely faired bulkheads Phil. They look good. Are you still going to add filler blocks?

I agree 100%. I think that bow is more tricky than it looks, so the filler blocks will be a great help.

looks great. I like the idea of using balsa as a filler. I think I will do that with my next model, the Constitution by MSW. That model does come with wood to do this, but I think using Balsa would be a lot easier.

Belfry constructed but first I blackened each piece before assembly and painting. I used Zap a Gap CA - it holds very well. If you have doubts, maybe a 5 minute epoxy will suit you.

Nuestra_597.jpgNuestra_598.jpgNuestra_600.jpgNuestra_601.jpg2023-12-02 (2).png2023-12-02 (3).png

Last edited:
Back