New Occre kit

I hear you. But for me I would love to have a Victory in my house so I can have bragging rights. lol
Not sure about bragging rights? In Pompey we are very protective about Nelson, Trafalgar etc (and recent BLM style threats to the statues, we had volunteer guards!) But as Pete Goodwin once said propping up the bar 'if she was a woman I wouldn't give her the time of day, fat arse and ugly!' ROTF

To me that is as majestic a ship as you can get. I wish to someday see her in person; fat arse and all. lol
Not sure what BLM style threats means, though.

To me that is as majestic a ship as you can get. I wish to someday see her in person; fat arse and all. lol
He's referring to the Black Lives Matter group in the USA, who are essentially communists disguising themselves as a civil rights organization. They caused a riot and burned many small businesses in Minneapolis, Minnesota not far from where I live. They also targeted many historic statues in the south, destroying them not because they promote racism as they falsely claimed, but because they believe history must be destroyed in order for people to forget it and accept their viewpoints and agenda.

Back to ship models!

The UK is in a mess. There is a genuine culture war at present. The woke are mostly to blame. There are children's books in schools claiming 200 years ago this was a black country. Hospitals are employing "Diversity Managers" and teams at vast cost (my local hospital has an MRI scanner but no money in the budget to get somebody who knows how to use it!) The Cenotaph war memorial in London and the statue of Winston Churchill were defaced during race demonstrations..... Utter madness!

He's referring to the Black Lives Matter group in the USA, who are essentially communists disguising themselves as a civil rights organization. They caused a riot and burned many small businesses in Minneapolis, Minnesota not far from where I live. They also targeted many historic statues in the south, destroying them not because they promote racism as they falsely claimed, but because they believe history must be destroyed in order for people to forget it and accept their viewpoints and agenda.

Back to ship models!
oh ok. that is serious stuff. sorry i didn't know that acronym,

Victory is just a stretch frigate with two more rows of tedious gun ports to cut and fit out.
ok, but what is so special about this ship that requires making a limited version for twice the price of others on the market? a pure money grab, just like the company's HMS Erebus

ok, but what is so special about this ship that requires making a limited version for twice the price of others on the market? a pure money grab, just like the company's HMS Erebus
I would guess that the cost comes from the extra work put into the fittings, better quality wood, research in developing a historically accurate design, and especially detailed instructions, assuming the kit is actually worth the high cost. Those are areas that make kits expensive. If the OcCre kit is a limited edition, it's probably because they don't have the ability to make this model in the long term. Now if the price is higher than Caldercraft's Victory, OcCre better make the kit enhancements worthwhile!

Victory is just a stretch frigate with two more rows of tedious gun ports to cut and fit out.
Gun ports!!!!!!! I just sold my kit of OcCre's Santisima Trinidad for that reason & also for the scale, which I now find too small. I have a Panart 1/78 Victory to build, but am still not sure whether I really want to build her.
As of 21st April '24, Panart Victory, + N S Pilar, Erebus, Dos Amigos, & part-built Coral Vic., now sold, raising enough funds (with a little left in my 'piggy bank') to buy Caldercraft Victory, which will probably be my last @ 78 1/2 yrs.!:). I realized I had no room for all those!

Last edited:
Gun ports!!!!!!! I just sold my kit of OcCre's Santisima Trinidad for that reason & also for the scale, which I now find too small. I have a Panart 1/78 Victory to build, but am still not sure whether I really want to build her.
You don't like cheap cast metal gun ports? after all, these models are of high quality, apparently people recommend them (sarcasm)

You don't like cheap cast metal gun ports? after all, these models are of high quality, apparently people recommend them (sarcasm)
You're correct! They are awful, I binned them from my Le Superbe, according to information she did not have visible external port frames. The same goes for several kits of Victory, including Panart. IF I do go ahead with Vic. I WON'T be using them..

Agree with you Nigel. There’s too many Victory kits on the market.
I don't agree with this. HMS Victory is THE ship from sail era. One must understand that any kits manufacturer has or wants to have this model in its catalog.
Another subject is the concept of the model: you can make a new kit that is another Victory, or you can try to make something special to make people want your model discarding any other in the market.
I don't think we have seen enough of this new model to decide if this new kit from Occre will go into the first group or in the second. Anyway the price that was seen is something crazy that would be perhaps logical for inmense Amati non-released model. I don't think that using expensive wood justifies a price tag of 1,400 euros, much less selling it as if you are reinventing the world of scale modeling.

I would hope the ship comes with the early style open rear balconies, not the "After Battle" look most kits are made from based on current ship sitting in port.

I fear it is the later representation of the vessel

Agree with your sentiments totally, Victory as launched is a FAR more attractive ship before they started all the modifications. Kit makers choose to stay away from this version because it looks so different to how she currently sits in Portsmouth. I wonder which version the kit makers would choose had she not survived...

I don't agree with this. HMS Victory is THE ship from sail era. One must understand that any kits manufacturer has or wants to have this model in its catalog.
Another subject is the concept of the model: you can make a new kit that is another Victory, or you can try to make something special to make people want your model discarding any other in the market.
I don't think we have seen enough of this new model to decide if this new kit from Occre will go into the first group or in the second. Anyway the price that was seen is something crazy that would be perhaps logical for inmense Amati non-released model. I don't think that using expensive wood justifies a price tag of 1,400 euros, much less selling it as if you are reinventing the world of scale modeling.

I feel that if Amati ever release their Victory and do so as Chris Watton's prototype WITHOUT using generic parts bin fittings like they did with Vanguard, the price would be more like 3000 Euros. Thing is, many have seen Chris's prototype on MSW and say they want the kit, I don't believe it will be the same model if/when finally released and many could be very disappointed. I would love them to prove me wrong but we shall see if/when it comes to market.....

I waited a long while for Chris's redesign of Amati's Prince and that never came to fruition......

I fear it is the later representation of the vessel

Agree with your sentiments totally, Victory as launched is a FAR more attractive ship before they started all the modifications. Kit makers choose to stay away from this version because it looks so different to how she currently sits in Portsmouth. I wonder which version the kit makers would choose had she not survived...
If I bought any HMS Victory kit, it would be the one with the older open balconies and decorations. Kroum Batchvarov is right about the later, simplified galleries being rather ugly in comparison. As for models of Victory that are available, there are plenty, and it would be nice to see models of other ships, especially ones that have not hit the model market yet.

If I bought any HMS Victory kit, it would be the one with the older open balconies and decorations. Kroum Batchvarov is right about the later, simplified galleries being rather ugly in comparison. As for models of Victory that are available, there are plenty, and it would be nice to see models of other ships, especially ones that have not hit the model market yet.

It would be nice to have a kit of Victory, but the ship of the same name laid down in 1737. Far more attractive than either version of the later vessel

Back