Matthew 1497 1:48 scale by Mike 41 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Channels

As I was trimming the futtock riders, I notice something was missing, the channels they were not shown on the plan, but I knew they were needed. The drawings of the replica I was using for reference did show the channels on the exterior elevation but not the plans. No problem, the elevation had the length and thickness and width just need to clear the rails. I made the patterns, cut, and installed them. Before the channels are installed the location of the futtocks need to be marked for the notches, The drawings are close but not exact, each model will vary some.

Progress photos

IMG_4343.jpgIMG_4345.jpgIMG_4346.jpgIMG_4347.jpgIMG_4348.jpgIMG_4341.jpgIMG_4342.jpg

While Mike will be putting up the fence around the stern castle and adding a few ladders today

i will finish up on the decks

first let me go through my process of building a deck

deck1.jpg

the key locations on a deck are the placement of hatches. mast partners, pumps. deck structures etc.

on this deck i first frame in the hatches, mast and location for the windlass.

deck2 NEW.jpg

Locations are taken off the drawing

deck3.jpg

the beams and ledges are filler between the main locations and can be placed + or -

ledges1.jpg

The idea is to build sections off the model because you can build more accurately and it is easier to handle

hatch1.jpg

so with that in mind lets build the deck on the Matthew, here are the sections to build. In between is just filler and the exact locations of the beams is not all that important.

deck sections.jpg

on the schooner above there is only a short bulkwark above the deck and almost straight up from the deck. Once you build a section it is easy to drop it in place. Not so with the Matthew. The deck is wider than the distance at the top of the frames

Frame 1.jpg

The mid section has to be built in the hull because a built section will not fit down past the tops of the frames. I will say it is harder to build in the hull because you have to hold those knees in place while the glue dries and marking and cutting the notches for the carlings have to be accurate.

deck4.jpgdeck5.jpg

Once the mid section is built then the rest of the deck can be built in section where you can cut, clamp and square thing up and buid the hatches.

deck6.jpg

if i need to fit parts like the ledge between the knees i stick the parts on tape then mark my cuts.

deck7.jpg

i got the pump section in the hull as well as the two stern units. Took their location from the plans and glued them in place.

deck8.jpg

going towards the bow i did the same thing and located the units for the masts then filled in between all the sections to complete the deck.

deck9.jpg

Last edited:
and the finished hull

finish1.jpgfinish2.jpg

finish3.jpg

A long time ago i saw in a museum a ship model of the 3 deck war ship without a single wood deck or hull plank, the decks were planked in clear Acrylic and the edges of the planks were frosted giving the image of a translucent caulking. The cannons floated above the deck beams. I was awe struck at this 3 dimensional transparent structures i could see right through it.
one of these days i might try it. This model is a step in that direction of just the skeleton structure of a ship placed on a light stand so it glows from the inside out.

finish4.jpg

From here i will leave the rest up to Mike i am going back to making some corrections to the laser cutting files and wrap this up. Then move on to the next project on the drawing board.

in conclusion

Mike did the original drawings, we both worked on the research and design of the project we both built different models from the same basic project. From the start we had in mind a builder wanting to tackle a plank on frame model so we created plans, a build log to follow and a set of laser cut parts. What i built was from just the laser cut parts which will produce a final hull. From here a builder can go in any direction.
Both Mike and i approached the build in different ways and we both achieved results.

Mikes original drawings are very accurate and i was within a few thousandths for the laser cut parts. This project is about the build and not cutting wood and milling. It does require the builder to take your time and build as close to the drawings as you can.

as far as enjoying the build i will give it a 5 star it was a challenge to the skills of building something.

i did mess up sections of frames because i was not paying attention and the good thing is we have the cutting files and the material so you can not mess up because any part can be replace.

stay tuned for a set of laser cut parts

and now Dave has left the building

Stern Castle Guardrail

I built the stern castle guardrail in place, it could have been built off the model, but I was half done when I thought of that…

I took a lot of photos to show the assembly, almost everything is clamped and glued. Tomorrow the finish sanding will be done with a few more photos.

Progress Photos

IMG_4343.jpgIMG_4345.jpgIMG_4346.jpgIMG_4347.jpgIMG_4348.jpgIMG_4353.jpgIMG_4354.jpgIMG_4355.jpgIMG_4356.jpgIMG_4357.jpgIMG_4358.jpgIMG_4359.jpgIMG_4361.jpgIMG_4362.jpgIMG_4363.jpgIMG_4364.jpgIMG_4365.jpgIMG_4366.jpgIMG_4367.jpg

Stern Castle Guardrail

After the clamps were removed, I did some sanding and added a coat of Danish oil. I wanted to see if the different woods were compatible, they seem to work well together.

The fore castle should be easier, it’s shorter.

IMG_4371.jpgIMG_4373.jpgIMG_4375.jpgIMG_4377.jpgIMG_4378.jpgIMG_4379.jpg

Forecastle

The forecastle structure is complete as is the rest of the hull. I used a little Danish oil on the starboard side to brighten up the wood colors, will do the port side tomorrow.

Next will be the masts, yards, and rigging.

Progress photos

IMG_4383.jpgIMG_4384.jpgIMG_4385.jpgIMG_4386.jpgIMG_4388.jpgIMG_4389.jpgIMG_4390.jpgIMG_4391.jpgIMG_4392.jpgIMG_4393.jpg

Mast & Yards

Since my last post I had a cataract removed from my left eye and the doc put me on restricted no gym, dusty workshop, or long walks on the beach. That lasted two weeks.

I managed to get the masts and yards ready to install, the crow’s nest still needs a little more work (the last photo in the set). In the last photo two square pieces of wood, they will be the top ring and floor of the nest. They are Myrtle from the beach lol.

I will be out of town next week so it will be a while before my next post…

Progress photosIMG_4394.jpgIMG_4395.jpgIMG_4396.jpgIMG_4397.jpgIMG_4398.jpgIMG_4399.jpgIMG_4400.jpgIMG_4402.jpgIMG_4403.jpgIMG_4404.jpgIMG_4405.jpgIMG_4406.jpgIMG_4407.jpgIMG_4409.jpgIMG_4410.jpgIMG_4411.jpg

Guys,
I am sure that you all will scratch your heads on this one - so, here is goes. If I remember, wasn't this Matthew (eventually) supposed to turn into a group build sort of like the Blandford and perhaps the Ontario? I have a reason to ask as I am trying to figure out how to 'advertise' possible Group Projects to get people interested.

also @Mike41

Guys,
I am sure that you all will scratch your heads on this one - so, here is goes. If I remember, wasn't this Matthew (eventually) supposed to turn into a group build sort of like the Blandford and perhaps the Ontario? I have a reason to ask as I am trying to figure out how to 'advertise' possible Group Projects to get people interested.

also @Mike41

that is what we talked about when it started. with the topic having over 14,000 views it does seem like there is some interest. However, trying to collect enough members to participate in a group build may be a challenge.
Mike and i discussed what we might do. That is to make any correction to the drawings and laser cut files, add a rigging plan and stop there. Or we can offer a set of laser cut sheets, plans, milled wood package and a rigging package in the buy kits section. This way the build is available to anyone who wants to build the model without having to wait for a group build to form. If enough members decide to build the Matthew at the same time then a group build will naturally form.

AS TO MY REMEMBERING ITB WAS TO BE A GROUP BUILD AND I THINK IT SHOULD BE AS FOR ME I WOULD LIKE THE LATTER A PACKAGE SORT OF SEMI SCRATCH. JUST KME. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Back