Mary Rose 1512-1545 from Caldercraft [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well found you. I think she was the head of the restoration project..?
Correct, Margaret Rule was a noted Marine Archaeologist, When the Mary Rose wreck was found, she was asked to join the project as a consultant. To gain firsthand knowledge of the wreck she learnt to dive (scuba) despite being in her forties. Margaret Rule eventually became the fulltime archaeological director of the Mary Rose Trust. She was also chairman (person) of the Council for Nautical Archaeology, and a member of the committee that advised the government on matters relating to historic wrecks. She passed away on 9th April 2015 (aged 86). Wonderful lady, she loved fishing.

Not sure if it helps but when you get round to rigging and blocks, please note the photo. “Large double block found in secondary sediment at the bow of the ship”

Mary Rose Double Block.png

Correct, Margaret Rule was a noted Marine Archaeologist, When the Mary Rose wreck was found, she was asked to join the project as a consultant. To gain firsthand knowledge of the wreck she learnt to dive (scuba) despite being in her forties. Margaret Rule eventually became the fulltime archaeological director of the Mary Rose Trust. She was also chairman (person) of the Council for Nautical Archaeology, and a member of the committee that advised the government on matters relating to historic wrecks. She passed away on 9th April 2015 (aged 86). Wonderful lady, she loved fishing.

Not sure if it helps but when you get round to rigging and blocks, please note the photo. “Large double block found in secondary sediment at the bow of the ship”

View attachment 384482
Pity ye the poor wretched should he be misfortunate to have such block fall hither upon his head or worse be it fall and splinter yonder thou feet

View attachment 384482
That is amazing..glad I didnt have to haul on it

When I boughgt Mary Rose I was looking for something more advanced having just completed Riva Aquaerama...well be careful what you wish for. The aft topsides build reads straightforward but it is an interesting challenge to say the least. Very happy with the choice of model, really interesting but a whole lot of unsupported bulkhead work which tests the patience a bit. Couldnt get a datum to work off at the stern then I temporarily glued the transom screen (part 39) in place with a few drops of CA , taped the side screens to it to reconfirm the line I had marked on the bulkheads... if you were building it you would get what I am talking about.
This is a boat where the 1st planking is harder than the second..I think.

View attachment 384792

View attachment 384793

looking good - you are on a good way.
Maybe you should wait with sanding, maybe also with the filler, until you have both sides completed with the 1.st planking.
Not that you sand already on some places too much - I know, that it is sometimes hard to wait..... ;)

Hi John. You have made very good progress on the Mary Rose. I really like this ship, so I will watch with big interest.

You have made wonderful progress John. She is really starting to come together very nicely.

Great advice on the gunport positioning - this info is gold to prospective future builders. I am glad that you find the kit to your liking and that the plans are accurate - that is always a great help!

Great work John, she is coming together quite nicely.

I hope you don't mind, but looking at your last pictures it looks as if the sheets, lanyards or whatever are guided through the wrong side of the blocks; the ropes are running through the side indicated with the orange arrow, whereas I think they should run through the other side, marked with the blue arrow:

IMG_0034.jpeg

It's something I did on another model and couldn't change it anymore without a lot of rework, so to my utter shame it's still there. As a result I became a bit allergic to these kind of hiccups...

Kind regards,

Johan

Back