1/4" x 4" X12"
Also some 1/4'X6"X6"
Any ideas?
TIA
Steven
Stevenbouher@gmail.com
sorry for the mispelled teak in thread title

Last edited:
Teak is not a good modeling wood as it contains a lot of natural oil. It also has a very large grain size. If you are going to use it you must clean the surface to be glued just before sticking. we have lots of teak here in Trinidad as it grows here but the shipping would be too expensive.

Stephen
Teak is a medium dark brown wood, so you can use any light wood and stain to get the look you wish. Here is a link for different types of modeling wood. https://thenrg.org/resources/Documents/articles/DatabaseOfWoodsForTheShipModeler.pdf

attached are some dark woods that you might also consider. It will all depend on what available to you.
kevin

View attachment 388250

View attachment 388251

View attachment 388252

View attachment 388253

View attachment 388254

View attachment 388255
And give Sapele a look too

Hello Steven
I have often ordered from "Massivholzwerkstadt" and I am very satisfied. There is all sorts of wood and everything made to measure if it has to be. I just don't know if they also ship to the USA, but it doesn't cost anything to ask.

A 1970s television cabinet, fireplace surround or nest of coffee tables from the "decade that style forgot" would be a source of well-seasoned teak.
Like the latest "scratch kit" from @Steef66 ?

Like the latest "scratch kit" from @Steef66 ?
https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...our-workshop-present-it-here.2103/post-321676 This one Uwe, don't make advertising for your maritime history :cool:

I don't think I would recommend Ipe, as it is also very coarse-grained and notoriously abrasive. I had a bunch of scraps of Ipe from my front porch build that I used for various projects in the wood shop. Wore out blades very quickly and was pretty splintery.

I don't think I would recommend Ipe, as it is also very coarse-grained and notoriously abrasive. I had a bunch of scraps of Ipe from my front porch build that I used for various projects in the wood shop. Wore out blades very quickly and was pretty splintery.
As is teak. Both have pretty open grain. And both are abrasive. Teak even dulls power tools and blades....both are suitable for outdoor uses.

Teak is one of the best woods for boating in the marine environment or for use in out door decks. Its the oil in it that makes it such a wonderful wood to use on large boats. I have had boats all my life and more importantly we have lots of affordable teak that grows here, so we tend to use it alot. But i would not use it for models as there are so many other tight grained woods available to the modeler. If you are going to use it you should wipe the glue joint with alcohol before sticking to get a good bond. Once you do that it will last for ever.

I agree with Kevink about teak, however there is a draw to using odd or exotic wood for a scale build. That said, I've used teak on boats I've built, furniture etc., and what's been said of using a solvent wipe before gluing or finishing is true. It is also true, if you've heard it, that when table-sawing the wood in the dark you get a sparking light show. I have come across the need for a teak colored stain to even out the look of certain pieces or to make the look of adjacent joinery more complementary in color. Some companies have this color but if you're left having to mix something, here's the tip. Teak has a lot of greyish looking grain as we as red and bluish green streaks or veins. As it weathers, it starts to go grey and in spots to white. On the Lakes people used to bleach their teak decks and cockpit soles.
So it seems to me that the Teak I'm using for coamings and rails is just for the "wow" of it, not the realism. Your stand or crib and baseplate for you model can carry that wow factor. The rails and other visible trim, a lot of scale modelers would say, should be the color and grain texture you would see from 100 to 300 feet. If you are mainly looking at it for 'wow' by all means use real teak and coat it lightly with a UV polyurethane or equivalent.

Back