Looking for round files 0.4 to 0.8 mm

Hi, Uwek, I need a file to do a round slot on rigging block as on this picture.

View attachment 439531
ok - mine would be great to widen the hole
a round slot outside (like the shown) I would do with the front end a normal Pfeil needle file - maybe round or have-round

For now I ordered this. It is on a larger diameter side of my specter but may work. Good thing it is cheap. As to Corradi, they stopped production of file I need. For Gesswein I am not able to find information on what is diameter of a file tip. Some Stuller files look good, they are in USA but will not ship to Canada. Grobbet - Vallorbe files are to thick - not suitable. Where does the World go? Ready to pay some money but there is nothing I can buy.

You said that the use of a jeweller jig saw blade makes square cuts in the wood. Actually I start with that. You can positioning the place in that way where you want to make the slot on a easy way to help you when going on with the file or like I do with a cutter.

these are mine cutters and Endo files I use (and yes Paul, when the dentist use them to hollow out the root canal of your teeth it hurts a bit, a lot.)
IMG_4366.JPGIMG_4367.JPGIMG_4368.JPGIMG_4369.JPGIMG_4370.JPGIMG_4371.JPG

This is something you need to practise, the last blocks I made in this way, are in my opinion pretty good looking. I used for them the last blue box, they are on the tip 0,5 mm and on the base 0,6 mm

IMG_3947.JPGIMG_3948.JPGIMG_3940.jpg

After the rigging you also can't tell if the slot is square or round. It is round, but nobody could tell if it was not.
Maybe it helps you a little bit in making blocks.

And it seems I got a lot of these torture files of the dentist. Alien

You can positioning the place in that way where you want to make the slot on a easy way to help you when going on with the file or like I do with a cutter.
Thanks for a tip. How do you finish, polish your block when you completed it?

This is a set of very narrow files that is designed to make string slots in a guitar's top nut.
Thanks. I read too many negative customers reviews these. They say these files do not grind off much material as they are just scored stainless steel wires. Do you find them useful?

Thanks. I read too many negative customers reviews these. They say these files do not grind off much material as they are just scored stainless steel wires. Do you find them useful?
I have scarcely used them for modelling and like I remarked, mine are not the real thing. I do however suspect that most of those reviews are based on cheap specimens. A professional luthier would use this tool to shape the natural bone nut of an instrument worth thousands of dollars. By the way, a cheap set like the one above can be had for less than 5 euros.

Last edited:
bare steel - and a square cross section
Technically that is called a 'broach;. A reamer properly is often tapered like a broach but is round in section and has flutes with cutting edges. A broach scrapes a reamer cuts )a very little at a time).

This is a set of very narrow files that is designed to make string slots in a guitar's top nut. This specific set - my set - is not of very high quality, but those that are used by professional luthiers of course are.

View attachment 439642

View attachment 439643
Those are also used to clean the tips on oxy-acetylene torches so they are available at welding shops.

Back