Longlegs55 builds ZHL Soleil Royal

good morning fellow modellers,(afternoon, evening depending where you are!)

some progress has been made this week, galleries are all measured, fettled and correct angles all that was needed was to fit them until, i realised i hadn't made my hull hedghehog! so that is now my current work in progress although i have advanced a couple of other pieces.

i am gold leafing all of my "gold" parts and following on from my conversation with Vic, thanks for all your help and encouragement, I ahve gold leafed, glazed and the curtained ( scrap material) the rear doors

also the gun carriages have been mainly constructed and the canons painted. any comments on the colour? it is ak interactive true metal old bronze and looks effective if i do say so. please excuse the coctail stick, it is superglued and will be rmoced later

so a few photos and thats it for now,

thanks for looking and your continued support

NeilIMG_20230730_094554.jpgIMG_20230730_094632.jpgIMG_20230730_095035.jpg

sorry, not been able to model of late but now i'm back so hopefully some more progress will be made.
I am at the Galleries! Still!!
Anyway, i have measured the angle from the plans and transposed this to the best of my ability to the hull for each of the galleries.
Before i carry on , i know the way that i have tackles this will probably offend some and send others round the house screaming but it seems to be working for me.
I have actually constructed the galleries prior to fitting and have also cut them apart. said it was controversial!
In my feeble efforts to help others that follow i am trying to detail my construction of the "hump"
IMG_20230907_143615.jpg as you can see i have attached said gallery but am using balsa infill and will then, after sanding back, cover with the same beech used for the second planking and when that all looks absolutely perfect and chipper, i will paint over it all never to be seen again. once i have sanded the main hump i will then use more balsa to infill the roofing area. will try to show that later.
I the meantime its good to be back and happy modelling one and all

bit of time has passed again but "humps" completedIMG_20230923_163820.jpg rear doors and windows fitted IMG_20230923_163834.jpg I have found the location of two of part 57A which are under the stays, does anyone know if and where the other two are fitted and can someone enlighten me as to what the two square black blocks are between the galleries( shown with ?) on plan sheet.IMG_20230923_163921.jpg
Many thanks and happy modelling

bit of time has passed again but "humps" completedView attachment 396092 rear doors and windows fitted View attachment 396093 I have found the location of two of part 57A which are under the stays, does anyone know if and where the other two are fitted and can someone enlighten me as to what the two square black blocks are between the galleries( shown with ?) on plan sheet.View attachment 396095
Many thanks and happy modelling
I’ve seen the extra windows placed on the hull between two galleries. I think I left them off.

vic, the two blocks almost appear to be shadows between the galleries on the last picture, dont think the lines i drew are dark enough. one is just above the second "roundel" from the front of the bottom gallery and the other is behind the second "head" from the front of the gallery above.
hope this clears up my lousy line drawing!!
Cheers, Neil

hello all once again.
apologies for my lack of posting, family illness to blame.

Anyway back to the matter in hand and time for me to try to pry some further knowledge for those more in tune with this model than i appear to be.
firstly where i have got to since my last visit, not a whole lot of progress made but a littleIMG_20231015_194355.jpg just the bottom gallery fitted. speaking of the galleries,IMG_20231015_194345.jpg this balastrade appears on the plans but is shown nowhere in the instructions. i have parts z9 and z10IMG_20231015_194334.jpg and i believe parts z9 are used on the deck for the railing just behind the main mast and the one further back. this leaves me with part z10, all 60 of them. are they stacked one upon the other to form the supports for the balastrade or, if not can someone please tell me where to stick them. no rude comments to that thanks!!

anyway happy modelling everyone and all being well ill be back soon with some further progress.

thanks in advance, Neil

hello all once again.
apologies for my lack of posting, family illness to blame.

Anyway back to the matter in hand and time for me to try to pry some further knowledge for those more in tune with this model than i appear to be.
firstly where i have got to since my last visit, not a whole lot of progress made but a littleView attachment 400232 just the bottom gallery fitted. speaking of the galleries,View attachment 400233 this balastrade appears on the plans but is shown nowhere in the instructions. i have parts z9 and z10View attachment 400234 and i believe parts z9 are used on the deck for the railing just behind the main mast and the one further back. this leaves me with part z10, all 60 of them. are they stacked one upon the other to form the supports for the balastrade or, if not can someone please tell me where to stick them. no rude comments to that thanks!!

anyway happy modelling everyone and all being well ill be back soon with some further progress.

thanks in advance, Neil
Are the z10s metal pieces? I know some are to be stuck end to end and placed on the balastrade.

cheers vic,
the z10's are turned wood but end to end seemed to be the only way to make the balastrade.
where would i be without your continued assistance as the balastrade is only on the plans and never mentioned in the "instructions"

thanks again for your invaluable help.
Cheers Neil

cheers vic,
the z10's are turned wood but end to end seemed to be the only way to make the balastrade.
where would i be without your continued assistance as the balastrade is only on the plans and never mentioned in the "instructions"

thanks again for your invaluable help.
Cheers Neil
They should also be placed along the bottom of the hump above the galleries, as is shown in the picture.

Longlegs, just found your build. I had to take almost a year off due to medical issues but it seems we are about in the same place with our builds. Looking forward to your progress.

hi everyone,
could someone advise what part y16 117 small copper nails are used for as i see no reference for them anywhere.
cheers for now!!
Neil

Back