Long way from the ocean

My first model is the Lowell Grand Banks dory 1:24. I was looking for a place to start with model ship building. The thought of a progressive course seemed to be the way to go. Almost finished. I will post a picture once I figure out how to do it. I going to skip the Pram and jump to the Lobster Smack 1:24. All the buildings logs are out of my league. Is there a place to go when beginners like me can talk with other beginners? Just kidding. The Dory looks great. I am proud of myself. I try to send a picture if anyone is interested.
We were all beginners at some point and had verious and possibly embarassing models to hesitantly show. That is the voyage for all of our crew . . . some with different starting points though. Just take a photo and under attachments you can link to the image button when it has downloaded and then use the option below to show it full size. The hard part is when we arrive at being an "expert" and if we don't know something at least we admit it and are charged with finding an answer to share. Have a good voyage aboard SoS. Rich (PT-2)

All done except the thole pins and the beckets. The kit did not have a 3/16” dowel and I still think the supplied rope is too big. I will go to the local hobby store tomorrow. Haven’t decided to glue down the oars and thwarts or not.
View attachment 269548
Duncan
You made a GREAT LOOKING MODEL!!

According to page 24 of the instructions manual, for the “Thole Pins”, the modeler is supposed to used a 3/16” x 3/16” piece of wood included in the kit and round it off with sandpaper.
I know it sounds silly but that is what (Antscherl) the designer wrote in the instructions.
We have received many complaints about this situation and as a matter of fact we have contacted him about it.
Meanwhile we solve this situation the solution is to use “Toothpicks” and cut them to size

Well my book of instructions must be out of sink with the parts. As you can see page 24 says dowel and tell you how to cut it moving the knife back and forth. No big deal. My toothpicks are to big. I will make something. 068B9FB0-6BB3-41BC-8E92-174200672D16.jpeg

No, we both havethe same instruction book.
He never wrote to sand off the square wood but according to our conversations that is what he meant.
Sorry for the confution but beleive me that "We are working on it".

Will it’s finished except for the display holder. I learned so much from this build. I would recommend this kit to anyone wanting to start model ship building. Now I am taking a deep breath and starting the Muscongus Bay lobster smack. Just reading the instructions it tells me I have a lot to learn.

View attachment 269902
Very nice work for a first and not last model. Size is not important but enjoyment of the hobby is paramount.. . passing by the frustrations along the way. Rich (PT-2)

Back