Long way from the ocean

My first model is the Lowell Grand Banks dory 1:24. I was looking for a place to start with model ship building. The thought of a progressive course seemed to be the way to go. Almost finished. I will post a picture once I figure out how to do it. I going to skip the Pram and jump to the Lobster Smack 1:24. All the buildings logs are out of my league. Is there a place to go when beginners like me can talk with other beginners? Just kidding. The Dory looks great. I am proud of myself. I try to send a picture if anyone is interested.

Yes please show us your photos, finished and in work.

When you start your next build, please start a build log so we can follow along and if needed, you can ask for help or opinons and the grand folks here will be forthcoming with needed info normally.

Where is the Grand ole USA are you from, we have members in lots of cities, if one is close to you they may be able to help or train you if needed.

The Dory looks great. I am proud of myself. I try to send a picture if anyone is interested.
Of cause we are interested, we are a curious bunch here! You can post your images in the below section

BTW, Welcome aboard SOS! We are glad you have joined us.

You know I was just saying to myself, you didn’t say where I am from. For the past 12 years we are living in East Tennessee in what is called the “ tri city area”. Very nice. Originally we are from Brockton Massachusetts. Not very far from where the Dory was first built and used.

also from my side a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Best is to start a building log and you will get tipps and hints frpm beginners to professionals.....

Thanks for the encouragement. Question. I am finishing the Lowell Grand Banks dory and the rope in the kit measures 3/32” in diameter. If I pull it tight it is about 1/16”. At 1:24 the diameter of the rope scales to 1 1/2” to 2 1/4”. Does that seem right? It’s only a loop at the front and back of the dory to lift it.

1E08B761-5650-48CB-B854-EE2D54A0350B.jpeg

Welcome aboard Duncan. You’ll find a group of very helpful model builders here.

My first model is the Lowell Grand Banks dory 1:24. I was looking for a place to start with model ship building. The thought of a progressive course seemed to be the way to go. Almost finished. I will post a picture once I figure out how to do it. I going to skip the Pram and jump to the Lobster Smack 1:24. All the buildings logs are out of my league. Is there a place to go when beginners like me can talk with other beginners? Just kidding. The Dory looks great. I am proud of myself. I try to send a picture if anyone is interested.
Duncan you have a great start, I am very familiar with those kits, if you ever need any parts for any of thorn, just go to the website where you bought them and look in the bottom if the page where you will find a Parts Request Form and fill it out.
I will send you whatever you need
Once you go through all of those models try to buy the “Cat Boat”….coming soon.
It will be your next step.
Julián

Thanks for the encouragement. Question. I am finishing the Lowell Grand Banks dory and the rope in the kit measures 3/32” in diameter. If I pull it tight it is about 1/16”. At 1:24 the diameter of the rope scales to 1 1/2” to 2 1/4”. Does that seem right? It’s only a loop at the front and back of the dory to lift it.
That is correct.
Check out how it looks on the one I did.
95E7638C-F34A-4322-B2BF-C03509A65870.jpeg
D8467E67-24F7-4273-A4FD-C605B8FF9131.jpeg

I am new to all this thread business and model building. Finishing the Dory soon. I will post some pictures.
Do I start a new thread to begin a build log? Is there a tutorial? I going to need help with this Lobster Smack.
Is there a place to ask questions?

I am new to all this thread business and model building. Finishing the Dory soon. I will post some pictures.
Do I start a new thread to begin a build log? Is there a tutorial? I going to need help with this Lobster Smack.
Is there a place to ask questions?
Hello Duncan. If you don't want to start a build log of your Dory, then...it is worth finishing first and uploading the images of your completed model in the Completed Model section (link below)

If you want to show the entire process of your Dory building progress, then it is highly suggested to start the build log. The best thing, that it doesn't require starting from the beginning. Shall you desire so, below is the place to post a log

As for your Lobster Smak future build, we suggest starting a build log. This way, you will ask questions right there (in the log), and members can follow and answer as they may have an answer for you.

Please spend some time and get familiar with our forum help topics. They are invaluable resources for new members.

Duncan - Welcome aboard! Lots of helpful folks on the site. I'm familiar with the tri-cities area having driven through a few times; also spent time around the area north of Boston in my younger days.

This is the link to the build log I did for the Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack -- https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/muscongus-bay-lobster-smack-model-shipways-1-24.7718/ .

If you do a search you should find other build logs of the same model.

Starting a build log is not difficult (see Jimsky's post #18 above) and uploading photos is quite simple. Along the way you'll find lots of folks on this site willing to help.

Have fun with your next build!

Back