Live center chuck

Look at this -

Rotating Tailstock Chuck _ Lathe Tooling for Sale - LittleMachineShop.com

Another concept is the Follower Rest. This will mount on the cross slide and will follow along with the cross slide. This way, no matter where the cutting tool is, this attachment will be installed opposite of the cutting tool as it travels along.

1681614338166.png

I am just now seeing this post - yes, the reason for the deflection is the dowel that you are turning is thin. In order to avoid this, you really need to have a "Steady Rest" mounted either 1/3 or 1/2 or 2/3 of the way. The Jaws will just touch the work piece and keep the dowel from deflecting. I don't remember seeing a post of what kind of Lathe you have. The bottom part of this slides our mounts to the "ways".

View attachment 369295
ShopTask. Post #16 above. I've had it for 30 years, hard to imagine.

Another concept is the Follower Rest. This will mount on the cross slide and will follow along with the cross slide. This way, no matter where the cutting tool is, this attachment will be installed opposite of the cutting tool as it travels along.

View attachment 369358
I kinda like that one. It would work better on my lathe. I think rollers would work better than those pointed jaws though. Unless I'm misunderstanding. I may be able to make one of those.

I use two sanding blocks, one on each side. That way the mast/yard doesn't bend on me because I have equal pressure on both sides. I do use a chisel to get it started, though. Having extra length of dowel on each end allows me to use the gouge chisel on one end, and then I turn the dowel around to do the other end. That keeps me from applying pressure to the wobbly end.

Don,
what kind of lathe do you have?
Hi Donnie,
Don posted this photo earlier of his lathe/mill.
353190-0e541d421863d110c00d6baf037d713b.jpg

Back